PDA

View Full Version : Stiff bristle wheel brush recommendations please

Pages : [1] 2

davidc1
12-24-2014, 01:17 AM
Hello all,

New hear with my first question. I have a car with Enkei PF01 wheels that are my daily driver, but I also bring the car to the track and therefore use racing pads on it full time. Project MU or Carbotech usually.

Even when daily driving they leave a constant coating of brake pad residue on the wheels. If it gets wet it takes a little scrubbing to get it off.

I use a good wheel cleaner, but I'm still looking for a good brush. I need a brush with stiff bristles that doesn't fall apart, and don't bend apart to expose a wire core that can scratch the wheels.

Somebody recommended the Wheel Woolies 1 inch Boars Hair brush. Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Detail Brush 1 inch (http://www.autogeek.net/boars-hair-car-detailing-brush.html) Does that fit the bill? Any other recommendations?

The Guz
12-24-2014, 01:20 AM
Good review here.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/87551-wheel-brush-battle-montana-vrs-wheel-woolies-brush.html

You might also want to invest in a some sort of wheel coating.

EVOlved
12-24-2014, 01:33 AM
I use the wheels woolies brush you mentioned for the tight spaces on the wheel including lug nut holes. I have been using a EZ detail brush for the barrels which is a lower version of the Daytona brush sold here, I have the wheel woolies kit now to try out.

jarred767
12-24-2014, 02:00 AM

:xyxthumbs:

frankprozzoly
12-24-2014, 03:56 AM
Hello all,

New hear with my first question. I have a car with Enkei PF01 wheels that are my daily driver, but I also bring the car to the track and therefore use racing pads on it full time. Project MU or Carbotech usually.

Even when daily driving they leave a constant coating of brake pad residue on the wheels. If it gets wet it takes a little scrubbing to get it off.

I use a good wheel cleaner, but I'm still looking for a good brush. I need a brush with stiff bristles that doesn't fall apart, and don't bend apart to expose a wire core that can scratch the wheels.

Somebody recommended the Wheel Woolies 1 inch Boars Hair brush. Wheel Woolies Boar’s Hair Detail Brush 1 inch (http://www.autogeek.net/boars-hair-car-detailing-brush.html) Does that fit the bill? Any other recommendations?

My 14 sport wheels are made by this company. What's the deal? Is enkei a well known company? There isn't much on their website

frankprozzoly
12-24-2014, 03:58 AM
That's an accord sport. They're nice looking wheels. I can't figure out if they're powder coated or if theres a clear coat on them

DBAILEY
12-24-2014, 04:06 AM
The Wheel Woolies 1 inch Detail brush and a set of Wheel Woolies brushes are all you really need if you only keeping your own wheels clean. Remove the wheels and apply some type of sealant (FK1000P, Collinite I845 are popular ones known to last) or apply a semi-permanent coating. Then you won't need to rely on a heavy duty wheel cleaner. Nothing will repel the brake dust totally, but they will make it so much easier to clean that only normal car shampoo is needed with only light scrubbing.

allenk4
12-24-2014, 06:50 PM
In my opinion, you can't have too many wheel cleaning "tools"

I have the Daytona JR, Wheel Woolies (large & angled) and a black chenille wash mitt dedicated to wheels

I usually hit it with the mitt 1st to get everything that is in plain sight quickly

I plan on taking a recent suggestion from the Forum and buy another Daytona and keep it bent for behind the spokes

Has anyone tried the drill powered Nut Cleaner

The blue plastic one from AGO with the sponges...SUCKS!

swanicyouth
12-24-2014, 06:58 PM
I have pretty much all the wheel cleaning tools AG sells. The best thing you could do is get some Permanon or Hydro2 on those wheels.

Then, use Wheel Woolie Wheel Cleaning brush to clean the faces. Daytona brush for the barrels. Wheel Woolie "paint brush" for the lug nut area. If you need anymore agitation than that - your not doing something right.

Nylon brushes are available. But they could scratch wheels and nylon also has a "memory". Bend the bristles once - and they could stay bent. Natural fibers (boars hair) don't do that.

All high pH / APC style wheel cleaners will degrade any sealant or coating you place on your wheels. I'd recommend using a spray on type coating - but concentrated carwash soap (pH neutral at any concentration) to clean the wheels to extend the life of the protection.

Has anyone tried the drill powered Nut Cleaner

Ain't cleaning my nuts with that.

expdetailing
12-24-2014, 07:08 PM
The blue T-handle lug-nut brush works well. It has a replacable head.
My favorite brush for wheel barrels is the large speed master. Wheel woolies and a dedicated microfiber mit for the faces.

allenk4
12-24-2014, 07:14 PM
The blue T-handle lug-nut brush works well. It has a replacable head.
My favorite brush for wheel barrels is the large speed master. Wheel woolies and a dedicated microfiber mit for the faces.

You got lucky and have the perfect sized Nuts and recesses

On half of the cars I have used it on the sponge gets wadded up after the first Nut

DaveT435
12-24-2014, 07:41 PM
My 14 sport wheels are made by this company. What's the deal? Is enkei a well known company? There isn't much on their website

Yes Enkei is a very well known company in the wheel business.

davidc1
12-25-2014, 12:07 PM
Good review here.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/87551-wheel-brush-battle-montana-vrs-wheel-woolies-brush.html

Thank you. The pics with the bottles on the brushes gives me a good idea of the stiffness. This is the typical type of brush I've used in the past. The bristles are stiff enough, but always bend to expose the metal core. Mothers Brake Dust Brush removes brake dust from wheels without scratching the metal finish. Soft bristles are safe on all wheels when used with (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-brake-dust-brush.html)

Thanks as well. While I was into detailing when I was younger, I've just now become aware of the different paint and wheel coatings available. Back in the day, these type of coatings were always considered "snake oil".

Actually one of the biggest OEM, aftermarket and racing wheel companies in the world! Enkei Wheels - The leader in lightweight aftermarket wheels (http://www.enkei.com/index.shtml)

The Wheel Woolies 1 inch Detail brush and a set of Wheel Woolies brushes are all you really need if you only keeping your own wheels clean. Remove the wheels and apply some type of sealant (FK1000P, Collinite I845 are popular ones known to last) or apply a semi-permanent coating. Then you won't need to rely on a heavy duty wheel cleaner. Nothing will repel the brake dust totally, but they will make it so much easier to clean that only normal car shampoo is needed with only light scrubbing.

That would be great. But, racing brake pad dust, especially if it's gotten wet, can be extremely difficult to remove. As a wheel cleaner, I've found Mother's Aluminum Wheel Cleaner to work wonders compared with other's I've used, including Sonax. Mothers Polished Aluminum Wheel Cleaner, anodized aluminum wheel cleaner, all wheel cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-aluminum-wheel-cleaner.html)

I have pretty much all the wheel cleaning tools AG sells. The best thing you could do is get some Permanon or Hydro2 on those wheels.

Then, use Wheel Woolie Wheel Cleaning brush to clean the faces. Daytona brush for the barrels. Wheel Woolie "paint brush" for the lug nut area. If you need anymore agitation than that - your not doing something right.

Nylon brushes are available. But they could scratch wheels and nylon also has a "memory". Bend the bristles once - and they could stay bent. Natural fibers (boars hair) don't do that.

All high pH / APC style wheel cleaners will degrade any sealant or coating you place on your wheels. I'd recommend using a spray on type coating - but concentrated carwash soap (pH neutral at any concentration) to clean the wheels to extend the life of the protection.

Ain't cleaning my nuts with that.

This is another wheel cleaning brush I saw on the website that by it's description sounds like it may work, but nobody has menitoned. Speed Master Jr. Wheel Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/daytona-mini-wheel-brush.html)

Thanks everyone so much for all your quick replies! Have a Merry Christmas today!

allenk4
12-25-2014, 01:49 PM
I have the SpeedMaster Junior

Very nice tool

Planning on buying a 2nd one so I can stop bending and straightening the one k have

davidc1
12-25-2014, 02:04 PM
I have the SpeedMaster Junior

Very nice tool

Planning on buying a 2nd one so I can stop bending and straightening the one k have

Would you say the bristle are pretty stiff?