PDA

View Full Version : Last minute buffer options...HELP

Pages : [1] 2

jarred767
12-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Hey guys, so I just got a call from my mom, who wants to buy a buffer for my dad for Christmas (I know, total last minute). Obviously AG is out of the picture because I need to help her get something local, and on top of that, she wants to spend under $100 :doh: :bash:

So, are there any decent/reliable options. I know the 7424xp at Lowes is $120 and that might be her best option, but curious if anyone has had any luck with cheaper models at Harbor Freight or anything like that. I've never bought anything in that price range so I have no experience; he just needs it for basic polishing and waxing (I will probably do any major correcting work).

Thanks guys!

DaveT435
12-23-2014, 11:34 AM
There have been some pretty good reviews on the Harbor Freight machine. I've got a couple neighbors that have them, no problems.

The Critic
12-23-2014, 11:38 AM
HF

jarred767
12-23-2014, 11:44 AM
is this the one you guys are talking about:

6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher (http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html)

12-23-2014, 11:48 AM
That's it

dcjredline
12-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Pretty much for under $100 you have only the HF for a choice. Pretty sure the PC and GG if anyone had them local would be over $100

KMdef9
12-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Check your local paper and the add in the store, they always have a 20% off coupon floating around somewhere.

jaxtalonturbo
12-23-2014, 12:54 PM
The Porter Cable 7424XP is on Amazon right now for $120. Just pull another $30 bucks out and toss it into the "gift" for you and get a decent machine.

ski2
12-23-2014, 01:07 PM
There are a number of pros using the HF on a daily basis without any problems--Gary Dean to name just one. There is also a long thread here on AG regarding the HF with good reviews. Just make sure you equip it with a quality 5" backing plate as the one that comes with it is not of very good quality and is 6". There is a 25% coupon around this week so look online as you might be able to find it. The new Megs THIN foam pads would also be a great addition--even though it has more torque than a PC the thin pads would make it that much more effective.

Roger T
12-23-2014, 01:08 PM
See if you can get a backing plate for the Harbor Freight polisher that will work with 5" pads.

I saw the Harbor Freight polisher a week ago for $69. You can use a 20% off coupon and buy the polisher for about $55.

You could give Dad an Autogeek gift card for proper pads , polish, sealer, wax, ect.

Roger T

KMdef9
12-23-2014, 01:37 PM
On top of the 5", I'd get him the 3" too, with pads to match. If your feeling extra generous, the Hernandez Polisher mod for it too.

See if you can get a backing plate for the Harbor Freight polisher that will work with 5" pads.

I saw the Harbor Freight polisher a week ago for $69. You can use a 20% off coupon and buy the polisher for about $55.

You could give Dad an Autogeek gift card for proper pads , polish, sealer, wax, ect.

Roger T

I might get the pads for him, the options will make his head spin!

Capn Blackie
12-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Roger T

This almost exactly what I did last summer. I wasn't flush with a lot of extra cash but jumped in when I found out there was a HF store only about 30 min away. I haven't looked back and can shine the bejesus out of paint, glass and headlights.

This thread has a ton of info and links to some more about HF polishers.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/84774-harbor-freight-polisher.html

The upgrades are easy and cheap.

I'll keep the HF unit when I upgrade to a Flex later and shift it to smaller size pads.
It does a great job.

jarred767
12-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I think she's gonna go with the HF one, but I'll make the recommendation on the 5" pads. Unfortunately he was last minute in saying that he wanted a buffer or else I would have gotten him stuff to go along with it. I guess I'll have ideas for Father's Day though!

HateSwirls
12-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Lowes sells the Porter Cable, well, here anyway.
It's worth a shot.
The HF DA is a good one, as said, you'll need a better backing plate but he could use it on Christmas day if he wants too

dlc95
12-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Either way, it's really cool that you pops wants a buffer! My Dad showed me how to wax the car when I was about 9 years old... 1986!