PDA

View Full Version : Question for owners of the Bucket Dolly

BlueBeast14GT
12-23-2014, 10:39 AM
What is the diameter of the casters?
How are they attached? e.g. stem, threaded stem, plate, etc.

My rolling shop seat often get stuck in cracks and dumps it's load (me). I don't want that to happen with the buckets, so I plan to install larger casters, but I would like to estimate the price before ordering $70-80 worth of bucket dollies. TIA.

SameGuy
12-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Ouch, yeah. Previous homeowner ground a water diversion channel about an inch wide down the middle of my two car garage to the drain cover, and my jack, bucket dollies, shop vac and more *always* get hung up or toppled by it.

I'm out Xmas grocery shopping but I'll measure my dollies when I get home.

Belphegor
12-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Just FYI:

If your cracks/ joints are level and there is just and empty void, you may try a product called Vulkem. It's a flexible yet firm adhesive that can be used to fill voids, and help alleviate casters getting caught up. It is oil based, so clean up is better achieved with WD-40. Comes in a caulk tube.

I would not recommend it for a channel that is an inch wide, however, SameGuy.

BlueBeast14GT
12-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Ouch, yeah. Previous homeowner ground a water diversion channel about an inch wide down the middle of my two car garage to the drain cover, and my jack, bucket dollies, shop vac and more *always* get hung up or toppled by it.

I'm out Xmas grocery shopping but I'll measure my dollies when I get home.

I appreciate it. For now, I'm using cheap plant holders as dollies, and I've wasted several ounces of shampoo refilling spilled buckets. They also only have 3 wheels, so they tip a lot easier. But I just got a cart that has about 4-inch casters, and it moves over the cracks much easier.

Just FYI:

If your cracks/ joints are level and there is just and empty void, you may try a product called Vulkem. It's a flexible yet firm adhesive that can be used to fill voids, and help alleviate casters getting caught up. It is oil based, so clean up is better achieved with WD-40. Comes in a caulk tube.

I would not recommend it for a channel that is an inch wide, however, SameGuy.

Thanks for the advice. I might try that, but the garage is a rental.

SameGuy
12-31-2014, 12:54 PM
Doh! Yeah, working the overnight shift these days and it slipped by me. Just woke up and read your message!

The wheels on the AG dolly are 2"/5 cm diameter and the post is 1-3/16" long with a spring clip at ~5/16" from the end. Post diameter is 7/16". I think you could get the same post dimensions with bigger wheels for even more off-road ability! I may do that the next time I see casters on sale at Home Depot.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oGdckzsRXHs/VKQ6LVP5LdI/AAAAAAAAD6Y/i_Un0fGWELM/s640/image.jpg

allenk4
12-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Why are casters so expensive?

SameGuy
12-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Crazy, huh? I don't get it either. Same price as high-end skateboard wheels that have way better bearings and PU...

BlueBeast14GT
01-01-2015, 10:44 PM
...the post is 1-3/16" long with a spring clip at ~5/16" from the end.

Thanks a lot for the info! Do you think I would need to match the post length, or would there be room for a longer post?

Why are casters so expensive?

Crazy, huh? I don't get it either. Same price as high-end skateboard wheels that have way better bearings and PU...

I've been wondering the exact same thing. It really sucks, these bucket dollies are expensive enough (overpriced IMO) already. Swapping out the casters could nearly double the price. I might just try my hand at making my own.

SameGuy
01-02-2015, 04:00 AM
They look the same length as those on the 4" wheels I just pounded into my Winco utility (now detailing) cart.

Bunky
01-02-2015, 06:50 AM
I have the dollies but use a wagon now so less bending and more mobile (rolls over a hose, etc). The downside it rusts.

http://angphoto.smugmug.com/Detailing/ANG-Gallery/i-gTww6kD/0/X3/DSC_2764-1-X3.jpg