PDA

View Full Version : Yes clay is important

Lightscapes
12-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone I just wanted to share a story.

I decided to go to clean my 2013 Chevy Avalanche . This vehicle has 27000 miles on it bought it January 2013 and baby this truck, mostly it's the only brand new vehicle I've every bought. Anyways I hand washed and dry and looked over for paint scratches. Very little I noticed so I was going to just put a coat of Pinnacle wax on and call it a winter.

For some reason I came to my sences and ran a clay bar first. Good thing I did this is what I found on one of my lower doors.

I hope the picture shows first time trying this

sayroger
12-22-2014, 10:06 PM
You never really know how dirty your car is until you clay. I found that I need to clay more than twice a year.

KMdef9
12-23-2014, 02:25 AM
Good work!

Wait till you dissolve some iron on a light colored car...

Desertnate
12-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Well said. Totally agree. I've noticed a color change on light colored cars from just clay alone when running it over a neglected vehicle.

I bet your tail gate area was worse than your lower door. On my hatchback car and my wife's SUV, the flat surfaces on the rear of the vehicle are always the worst areas on the vehicle.

jsauls1
12-23-2014, 09:26 AM
I'm really new to this car detailing and have seen several stories about this clay , please explain to me how this clay works on auto paints and do new cars need it. Thanks

allenk4
12-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Auto detailing clay, detail clay bar, clay lubricant, Pinnacle Poly Clay, Wolfgang, auto detail clay, meguiar's detailing clay, auto clay bar (http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html)

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Hermes1
12-23-2014, 01:59 PM
You are so right. When I bought my truck and was doing the first detail, I started not to clay it, thinking of course it is new so no need. Then I thought whay not, it won't take very long and will be interesting to see. While my clay did not reveal as much contamination as yours, it was enough that I was happy I took the time to do it.

Lightscapes
12-23-2014, 02:31 PM
I use Iron X first then clay then polish-wax twice a year. Its not a daily driver but not a garage queen either. I just was shocked that much after 8 months. The truck is parked inside most of the time. Glad I was able to take a picture to show people. Ill be using a clay bar more often now. Thanks of course to everyone on here for educating me!!

Alweeja
01-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Does it matter Which clay bar to use?

conman1395
01-12-2015, 06:19 PM
Does it matter Which clay bar to use?
What matters most is grade (Fine, Medium, Aggressive). Other than that, as long as it's a reputable name (Meguiar's, Mother's, Clay Magic, Detailed Image, Pinnacle,.... you get it) it's okay to use.

Lightscapes
01-13-2015, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure if it matters I'm only a novice. Mine is the pinnacle and it's my second bar in the past 3 years but I have 4 vehicles that keep me busy