PDA

View Full Version : Bumps in nanoskin?

georgez
12-22-2014, 04:17 AM
Hi everyone,

I just received my nanoskin sponges from Autogeek and am excited to use a new product. I got the fine grade ones in blue. I noticed that there were some imperfections in the surface and I was wondering if that was normal?

It looks like a pin has pierced the surface and there are some odd bumps that appear to have some contaminates embedded into it. It has a white spot and it doesn't come out even after I tried flicking it with my fingernail. I tried to wet it to see if they would come out but it didn't. I'm afraid these might cause scratches.

Fortunately, I bought 2 of them. I primed the nanoskin on the rear windshield. I wasn't sure how much to do until it was properly "primed" so I did half the rear windshield and began working.

I am helping a friend fix some paint transfer on their BMW with imperial blue paint.
Before:

I used ONR as lube, 1 ounce in a 32 ounce spray bottle. I sprayed down the working area and sprayed the surface of the sponge as well.

After:

The nanoskin worked pretty well, similar to clay but it was much faster. It definitely reduced the damage.

Although, on closer inspection though it looks like it introduced a lot of marring. I've never seen marring before using clay so hopefully someone can chime in and confirm if this is that.

I wasn't too worried though since I was already planning on polishing to finish up anyway. I used Meguiar's ultimate compound with an orange hex logic pad. I did the cross hatch pattern about 6 times. I repeated this 3 times. I was very pleased with the results. Because of the weird blemishes after using the nanoskin though, I'm a little hesitant to use it on a car that I'm not going to polish right after.

So to recap
1. Is my nanoskin sponge defective?
2. How many windows do I need to do in order to "prime" the sponge? Should the windows be cleaned first?
3. Are all those marks on the paint marring from the nanoskin? Was I using it wrong?

Thanks all!

Mikertt
12-22-2014, 05:03 AM
I had my Nanoskin medium grade pad and it marred pretty bad on black paint. The little pinholes are normal as I have the pads, as well as the sponges, and clay towels. They don't change how the Nanoskin work so it is just cosmetic. I've had fine clay mar paint from pushing down too hard on my own car in the past. I would say that you have nothing to worry about. I also removed the film on the Nanoskin by spinning it on the front and side windows. That was probably enough to do the trick.