PDA

View Full Version : Adams sealant over BFTPNS

Pages : [1] 2

Bootlegfab
12-21-2014, 03:00 AM
Sorry for the Adams related topic...especially being my second post. I was gifted a bottle of BFTPNS...and I have a full bottle of Adams paint sealant just sitting here...does anyone see any issues topping the BF with the Adams? I hate to throw out the bottle or let it go to waste. My thought was since the BF has a polish in it, would those oils hinder the sealants ability to hold. I realize the BF has a sealant in it, but from what I've read AIO's typically have weaker sealant properties than just a regular sealant. Thank you.

The Guz
12-21-2014, 06:14 AM
Good thread.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html

FUNX650
12-21-2014, 10:26 AM
IMO:
This presents itself as a most opportune moment to hold
Adam's: 110% Satisfaction Guarantee..."feet-to-the-fire".
Proverbially speaking, of course.

Bob

Dogfather
12-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Why not? Many(myself included) routinely top an AIO with a pure sealant.

swanicyouth
12-21-2014, 12:04 PM
It doesn't make much sense to me. Using an AIO and then a sealant is 2 steps. Why not just use a polish & a sealant - which is 2 steps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogfather
12-21-2014, 01:26 PM
It doesn't make much sense to me. Using an AIO and then a sealant is 2 steps. Why not just use a polish & a sealant - which is 2 steps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think in this particular case the OP wants to use products he has so they don't sit there collecting dust.
In that regard, the sealant may supplement the so-so durability attributed to most AIOs.

allenk4
12-21-2014, 02:19 PM
I would still polish and then sealant, regardless of what you paid for the BFTPNS

If you are going to do two steps...maximize the impact of each of them

On this chart the BF is rated a 3/10, but in my experience, you will only get that much cut with a White polishing pad. This pairing will not always work on softer paints.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg

Save the BF for door jambs and other vehicles that are only getting one-step

Bootlegfab
12-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the replies.

FUNX650
12-21-2014, 04:52 PM
...I have a full bottle of Adams paint sealant just sitting here...

I hate to throw out the bottle or let it go to waste.
The below post conveys my sentiments regarding the above situation...to a tee.

Give it to someone you don't like.

Bob

Bootlegfab
12-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Hahaha. I started detailing when I was 15 obviously didn't know much. Internet info was scarce. Used Meg's three step for most things by hand. In my early 20's I stumbled onto Adams and my then GF now wife bought me one of their kits as a gift. Used it and a few refills of something's until a year or so when I decided to branch out, educate myself, and try some new stuff. I have a few motorcycles that are ridden 24/7 in all weather and the Adams stuff works just fine on them since 5 min in the rain pretty much destroys anything on them. I picked up a new Tahoe last week and am trying to settle on some decently priced products that aren't all hype. A local guy uses Shine Supply products and seems to be happy with them, his work certainly speaks for itself.

The Guz
12-21-2014, 07:07 PM
The below post conveys my sentiments regarding the above situation...to a tee.

Bob

I know Adams is not everyone's favorite brand but their products work just fine. I have used them in the past. There are so many good products on the market. The only downside to their products is the price. For the price one can find something that works just as good or better in the Meguiar's line. Everyone has their one product brand they like.

It's a niche brand for folks.

FUNX650
12-21-2014, 07:34 PM
I know Adams is not everyone's favorite brand but their products work just fine. I have used them in the past. There are so many good products on the market. The only downside to their products is the price. For the price one can find something that works just as good or better in the Meguiar's line. Everyone has their one product brand they like.

It's a niche brand for folks.
Kinda seems more like a "Nietzsche brand". ;)

"There are no facts, only interpretations".

"All things are subject to interpretation..."

~Friedrich Nietzsche

Bob

Bootlegfab
12-21-2014, 07:37 PM
I have definitely picked up on that "theme."

FUNX650
12-21-2014, 07:44 PM
I have definitely picked up on that "theme."
IMHO:

Its not very good ethics to "theme" about a competitor's products on a forum that AGO not only hosts, but also gives you discounts on their products.

Bob

Bootlegfab
12-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Well you can't get any real information anywhere else. I figured here would be more unbiased that their forums. I have no plans to buy any more of their stuff just wanted info if anyone had any first hand experience. I enjoy AGO which is why I'm here and buy their products.