PDA

View Full Version : Waterless wheel and tire?

Pages : [1] 2

AUdakota
12-21-2014, 12:06 AM
How do you guy handles cleaning wheels and tires if you are doing a waterless wash?

allenk4
12-21-2014, 12:25 AM
Best option is to do wheels and tires with the hose

Faster, more through and you can still do rinseless or waterless on the rest of the car

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141205_12_52_12_Pro1.jpg

I did a waterless wash and used Megs Wheel Brightener (10:1)

Dwell

Agitate

Rinse by spraying heavily with waterless was solution

Dry with MF

Spray with waterless solution again to make sure the MWB is diluted/neutralized

Is anyone using the Hyde's Rust Stopper?

Could have used it on these big GT-R discs

Real Riders
12-21-2014, 12:55 AM
I have not tried this method yet but I will in the future. Spray the wheel and tire with Optimum Power Clean (safe on all surfaces). Scrub the tire with a brush and clean the wheel with a black microfiber towel. Then rinse the wheel and tire with diluted ONR in a spray bottle and wipe the wheel dry with a new clean black microfiber towel. The tire can dry on it's own while cleaning the other wheels

conman1395
12-21-2014, 02:14 AM
I won't do the tires and wheels with a waterless. I will do it rinseless though. I like a "Garry Dean"-ed towel for the tires. All it is is a saturated towel for the tire (I will do this with even a 2BM rinseless wash) and then I do the wheels with some microfiber wrapped around my EZ-Detail brush. My issue with waterless washes and wheel cleaning is it is far, far less thorough and looks crappy (some area clean, others dirty).

Sherif
12-21-2014, 02:59 AM
I don't do waterless wash often, I feel more safe/comfortable doing rinseless wash.. Since my wheels and tires are coated (Opti-Coat/Dlux for wheels and Tuf Shine for tires), it's easy to clean them with rinselss solution using black MF towel for wheels & black micro chenille mitt for tires then another 2 black MF towels for drying.. I do this after cleaning the paint, after all the paint cleaning MF towels are out of the rinseless solution bucket..

OCD Detailing
12-21-2014, 03:08 AM
Best option is to do wheels and tires with the hose

Faster, more through and you can still do rinseless or waterless on the rest of the car

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141205_12_52_12_Pro1.jpg

I did a waterless wash and used Megs Wheel Brightener (10:1)

Dwell

Agitate

Rinse by spraying heavily with waterless was solution

Dry with MF

Spray with waterless solution again to make sure the MWB is diluted/neutralized

Is anyone using the Hyde's Rust Stopper?

Could have used it on these big GT-R discs

Every car we do gets that rust. We usually just pull it forward a little and the rust it gone (just to make it look nicer when the customer sees it). I think, but don't know, that the rust is probable just the metallic dust on the disks. Either way, it's no big deal.

allenk4
12-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Every car we do gets that rust. We usually just pull it forward a little and the rust it gone (just to make it look nicer when the customer sees it). I think, but don't know, that the rust is probable just the metallic dust on the disks. Either way, it's no big deal.

I agree it happens to varying degrees anytime you get the discs wet.

Wheel Brightener seems to exacerbate the rust.

This waterless was was done without access to the keys.

I do hate the idea of then rust landing on the wheel/rim the 1st time they hit the brakes

Is anyone currently using the Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper? How many oz per car?

PiPUK
12-21-2014, 02:16 PM
I agree it happens to varying degrees anytime you get the discs wet.

Wheel Brightener seems to exacerbate the rust.

This waterless was was done without access to the keys.

I do hate the idea of then rust landing on the wheel/rim the 1st time they hit the brakes

Is anyone currently using the Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper? How many oz per car?

The rust is actually a good sign that your discs are good quality. With something like wheel brightener, which is extremely corrosive, you will expose fresh metal and in fact the acid will oxidise what remains and the rust will be particularly bad. Some acid cleaners will be much much better because the milder acids can actually 'seal' the surface rather than rusting it.

As for what goes onto the rim... it doesn't really matter. Either that visible rust will go onto the rim or the same material (not yet rusted) goes onto the rim... at which point it will then rust. So it is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

swanicyouth
12-21-2014, 02:26 PM
The problem with the rust is - yes it's easy to get rid of. However, little rust flakes will fly off onto your newly clean wheel make it less than perfectly clean if your picky like me.

I'm thinking of trying Hyde's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RottenII
12-21-2014, 03:23 PM
The problem with the rust is - yes it's easy to get rid of. However, little rust flakes will fly off onto your newly clean wheel make it less than perfectly clean if your picky like me.

I'm thinking of trying Hyde's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm super picky about my wheels and get the same issue with the rust from the rotors. So far my best method is to hose wash the wheels and blow dry them with my leaf blower before the rotors get a chance to flash over...then back up and down the driveway a few times and the rust issue pretty much goes away.

FUNX650
12-21-2014, 04:06 PM
How do you guy handles cleaning wheels and tires if you are doing a waterless wash?
I use the same products/methods as I do for the other vehicle surfaces, with the exception of the type of towels used for the tires and the inner wheel barrels:
Old terry bath towels...instead of microfiber towels.

Bob

Blade
12-22-2014, 12:17 AM
I have not tried this method yet but I will in the future. Spray the wheel and tire with Optimum Power Clean (safe on all surfaces). Scrub the tire with a brush and clean the wheel with a black microfiber towel. Then rinse the wheel and tire with diluted ONR in a spray bottle and wipe the wheel dry with a new clean black microfiber towel. The tire can dry on it's own while cleaning the other wheelsThis is almost exactly what I do. After doing a rinseless wash on the car using 2 buckets, I'd still have about 1.5 gallons of clean ONR wash solution left.

Spray tire and wheels with OPC @ 1:3.
Dunk an MF towel in the left-over ONR wash solution and wipe down tires and wheels. I use MF towels from Target that I discard when I feel they've become too raggy.
I don't bother with the 2nd rinse bucket I used earlier for the car, I'll use the one bucket for wheels and tires. Unless you're picky (or if your wheels are picky. :))
Dry the tire with a dry MF towel.
Dry the wheels with a separate MF towel, different from the one used for the tires.

Another variation is skipping the OPC altogether, just using ONR on its own for everything. Yet another variation is scrubbing the tires with a brush (after OPC) before washing with ONR. If I brush the tire, I'll use another MF towel just for tires.

I didn't come up with this. Saw a video posted by Scottwax from Autopia in 2007 or so, and I tried it, liked it and been using it ever since whenever I do a rinseless wash.

hoyt66
12-22-2014, 05:25 AM
When using rinseless wash I spray with wheel cleaner and spray the tire with tire cleaner, scrub with appropriate brushes and

then using a dedicated wheel/tire mf mit and 2 fresh buckets of clean water I douse/wash the tire and wheel very generously. It

works well with the only down side being I have to move the car into the driveway and squeegee the floor to remove excess

water.

Klasse Act
12-22-2014, 04:39 PM
I actually bought a2 gallon hand pump from the local home improvement store. So what I do is spray the wheel cleaner on, agitate needed, and then rinse it off using the 2 gallon hand pump.

If the wheels are not too bad, I see nothing wrong with using a waterless product on the wheels, as well as the tires because I've done that myself.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
12-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Mothers Back To Black tire renew is really good for tires. I use Tuf Shine normally, but I've used the Mothers and I'm really considering switching to it. Spray it on and wipe off no water needed. I can't comment on how well it cleans compared to TS. But I will say it cleans better than any APC I've ever used on a tire.