PDA

View Full Version : Order of Operations to and Overhaul and Protect Car

jarred767
12-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Hey guys, so it looks like I'm finally gonna get some time over the holidays to put some time into my new detailing rig that I bought a couple months ago.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83106

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83107

Sorry for the terrible pictures, it's all I have of the car on my computer so far.

I'm looking for some advice on order as the following needs to get done to the car (the order is what I'm thinking, but open to suggestions).

-A couple dents removed
-Full paint correction
-Touch-up a couple areas with Dr Color chip
-Final polish
-Optimum Gloss Coat applied
-Company Decals
-Another layer of Gloss Coat so the lettering is protected

I also plan to put Opti-Lens on the headlights, Opti-Glass on the windows, Opti-Coat Pro on the wheels, CarPro DLux on all the trim, and Turtle Wax Endura-Shine on the tires, but I can do each of those when time permits and it shouldn't affect the other things.

What do you guys think?

cardaddy
12-19-2014, 11:57 PM
That's gonna' be ballin' Jarred! With some gold and black lettering, (similar to your web logo's/colors) maybe something like turned metal look, that'll be killer.:props:

Sounds like you're wanting to put a lot of work into the paint on that thing for a work truck dude. :dunno: I'd probably do an AIO on it, and keep a layer of sealant on top. IMHO, coatings are a bit of a pita unless you are taking care of them regularly (as in making sure they get dried every time they get wet, and they are garaged nightly.

Besides..... what better test bed for various products than your work truck? :dblthumb2:

On a side note; I've always thought if Chevy made a full sized version styled like the baby ones that they'd be a KILLER truck! They could make both 2 and 4 door versions and I bet ya' they'd sell like crazy.

eaglefan
12-20-2014, 12:34 AM
Blacl out the windows and the rims. Eye catcher

jarred767
12-20-2014, 12:30 PM
That's gonna' be ballin' Jarred! With some gold and black lettering, (similar to your web logo's/colors) maybe something like turned metal look, that'll be killer.:props:

Sounds like you're wanting to put a lot of work into the paint on that thing for a work truck dude. :dunno: I'd probably do an AIO on it, and keep a layer of sealant on top. IMHO, coatings are a bit of a pita unless you are taking care of them regularly (as in making sure they get dried every time they get wet, and they are garaged nightly.

Besides..... what better test bed for various products than your work truck? :dblthumb2:

On a side note; I've always thought if Chevy made a full sized version styled like the baby ones that they'd be a KILLER truck! They could make both 2 and 4 door versions and I bet ya' they'd sell like crazy.

Thanks for the comments Tony, it is a little work for a work truck, but I've already got all the products, so why not do it right and get it protected? Plus, while it is my work truck, it's also my daily driver and only vehicle (besides the wife's) so I don't mind the work.

I'm not sure why Chevy didn't do more with the line, it must not have been too popular. It's a shame that they don't even make these any more. I feel like it's perfect for any business that needs space and doesn't want/need a huge van/large truck, plus fuel economy is way better than those vans or trucks.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83097

Black out the windows and the rims. Eye catcher
I've thought about the windows, and probably will get to them down the road at some point. There's a lot of chrome accents on the car (grill, wheels, door handles, rear hatch, mirrors) so I feel like the wheels kinda go with the overall theme, I'll keep it in mind though.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the actual process and if that's best order:
-dents removed
-paint correction
-Dr Color chip
-Final polish
-Gloss Coat
-Company Decals
-Gloss Coat over decals

Or should I switch things up? Just want to make sure I get it right with the decals and all.

KMdef9
12-20-2014, 02:14 PM
It looks really clean from the pics!

I'm with Tony, maybe just an AIO, as I'm sure it will be difficult to keep it pristine being both your work vehicle and DD. I'd leave as much CC as I could on it.

Have you tested out the space in it? Maybe remove the seats for more space. That'll give alot more room, which I'm sure you know will run out fast!

FUNX650
12-20-2014, 03:04 PM
Anyone else have any thoughts on the actual process and if that's best order:
-dents removed
-paint correction
-Dr Color chip
-Final polish
-Gloss Coat
-Company Decals
-Gloss Coat over decals

Or should I switch things up? Just want to make sure I get it right with the decals and all.
I'd go-to-town in this order:

•Dents removed
•Dr. ColorChip (allow proper time for: build-up; total-cure)
•Paint Correction (include the repaired chips)
•Final Polish
•"Clean" all surfaces with your usual pre-GlossCoat
"panel-wipe" process.
•Company decals ("shiny" vinyl---Please: nothing "matte")
•GlossCoat application (I'd include Coating the decals in this process)

I applaud your wanting to bring your work vehicle to near-Show Car condition.
After all: your vehicle is a testament of your detailing skill-level...one of the first things your Customers will notice, and judge their own vehicles to be detail-worthy by you.

Bob

jarred767
12-20-2014, 05:42 PM
It looks really clean from the pics!

I'm with Tony, maybe just an AIO, as I'm sure it will be difficult to keep it pristine being both your work vehicle and DD. I'd leave as much CC as I could on it.
It's interesting that multiple people on AG are suggesting just an AIO, it's got swirls all over it, so it definitely needs a correction. I was more curious about people opinions on Dr Color Chip before or after the correction and the Gloss Coat before or after (or both) the decals (I'm slightly worried that a company installing the decals might cause marring or slight scratches in the paint...maybe I'm over-thinking that though.

Have you tested out the space in it? Maybe remove the seats for more space. That'll give alot more room, which I'm sure you know will run out fast!

Yes, I've been using it as my detail rig for a couple months now, and love it! The HHR panel actually doesn't have any rear seats its just all flat, so perfect for hauling stuff. Here's my current set-up:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=88696

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=88697

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=88698

I still need to install a water pump on top of the tank and get a pressure washer, but it all fits nicely.

I'd go-to-town in this order:

•Dents removed
•Dr. ColorChip (allow proper time for: build-up; total-cure)
•Paint Correction (include the repaired chips)
•Final Polish
•"Clean" all surfaces with your usual pre-GlossCoat
"panel-wipe" process.
•Company decals ("shiny" vinyl---Please: nothing "matte")
•GlossCoat application (I'd include Coating the decals in this process)

I applaud your wanting to bring your work vehicle to near-Show Car condition.
After all: your vehicle is a testament of your detailing skill-level...one of the first things your Customers will notice, and judge their own vehicles to be detail-worthy by you.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the advice. I completely agree with you that my car is a lot of times the first impression I give on a customer or potential customer - especially when I'm out at a job and neighbor sees me working.

So, do you think it's basically a wasted step to do the Gloss coat before and after the decals, just doing it after should be enough?

And regarding the DrColorChip, I thought I read somewhere that you want to do major correction work (compounding and swirl removal) before doing the touch up, but I could be wrong. Will the new paint hold up to a full correction? I just don't want to polish off the paint that I will have recently applied. Maybe I need to do more research on this. thanks again for your comments.

hilld
12-21-2014, 08:45 PM
The instructions for dr. Color chip indicate to wait 30 days before compounding so if that is a problem for your schedule do it afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk