PDA

View Full Version : Deep Wheel Cleaning, embedded dirt

Pages : [1] 2

stealthjetta
12-19-2014, 03:27 PM
So I have some alloy wheels that need some more extreme measures to remove some of the embedded dirt on them. There are black specs of embedded dirt or brake dust that I'm trying to remove. My normal wheel cleaning methods is.

Spray On EagleOne All Wheel Cleaner
Hose Off After a minute
Use a wheel brush with soapy water on wheels.

This gets them nice and clean but the hard to remove dirt specs are still there. I've tried using clay but that didn't help at all. What else can I try.

DaveT435
12-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Have you tried Sonax or Rupes wheel cleaners...or iron X?

stealthjetta
12-19-2014, 03:48 PM
I haven't tried Sonax or Rupes yet, but I will give one of those a try if you think they will work. Are these designed to be part of a regular wheel wash, or only when you need a deep clean? Thanks.

OCD Detailing
12-19-2014, 03:50 PM
I bought Mark V I think it is. Straight up acid. It works great but I think you aren't suppose to use it on uncoated wheels. Not sure about aluminum. Doesn't smell so good though. Beyond going to an acid like that, I like Sonax and Adams. As far as a more cost effective "stronger" cleaner, Meguiars wheel bright is good.

Wills65
12-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Are you sure that the spots you see are dirt spots? Could they be tar or maybe large embedded brake dust spots? If you can source Tarminator locally, you might give that a shot. Or you could pick up a little bottle of IronX (http://www.autogeek.net/iron-x-iron-remover.html) and a little bottle of TarX (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-tar-x-tar-remover.html).

If those cant get the wheels deep cleaned then Im not sure what will. Best of luck to you. You might consider coating the wheels with something like DP Wheel Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-coating.html) so that those spots you clean off dont reappear later on. The coating will make a huge difference in way you clean your wheels. Ive coated the wheels on my brothers Mustang and all I need to get the wheels looking like new is a little wash soap and my brushes.

Almost forgot, if your wheels arent clear coated or powdercoated...meaning if they are uncoated bare metal, then you will want to avoid the IronX and TarX. Once you get them clean you can still coat them but the IronX will damage uncoated bare metal.

EVOlved
12-19-2014, 04:39 PM
I bought Mark V I think it is. Straight up acid. It works great but I think you aren't suppose to use it on uncoated wheels. Not sure about aluminum. Doesn't smell so good though. Beyond going to an acid like that, I like Sonax and Adams. As far as a more cost effective "stronger" cleaner, Meguiars wheel bright is good.

Most of these would be an absolute last resort for me on my own personal car. I would rather hand polish the wheels than use something crazy acidic like the ones you mentioned.

That said I would try Sonax Plus, Iron-X, or any of the iron removing cleaners first.

Audios S6
12-19-2014, 05:00 PM
You can also trying claying the wheels after trying ironx or similar product.

Unless you have experience with acid wheel cleaners, I would shy away and only use them as a last resort. They can do serious damage to wheels and I only use them with the owner's consent and understanding that damage at occur. In most cases this is on wheels that would otherwise need to be refinished anyway if the acid did not work.

DaveT435
12-19-2014, 05:03 PM
We are talking about factory alloy wheels? Can you post a picture?

Ebg18t
12-19-2014, 06:13 PM
I have had great luck with Sonax wheel cleaner. Let it sit, agitate then power wash it.

rbss
12-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Sonax works well for me. Also I have used Meguiars Hot Rims all wheel cleaner it can be picked up locally.

9nueve9
12-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Try Sonax Wheel Cleaner Full Effect.I havent try it yet because i still have Meguiars Hot Wheels All wheel cleaner which is too good also.But my friend have this cleaner. An excellent wheel cleaner ;)

*SONAX Wheel Cleaner safely and effectively eliminates the most stubborn dirt such as brake dust, oil and rubber residue. Color-change foam lets you know it's working! SONAX Wheel Cleaner's acid-free, non-corrosive formula is safe on all types of painted, alloy, anodized, clear coated, chrome, aluminum and stainless steel wheels. Clean with confidence!

If you have custom, specialty, or otherwise expensive wheels, you have just found your wheel cleaner. SONAX Wheel Cleaner is pH neutral to protect your wheels' finish. This is in sharp contrast to many wheel cleaners, which contain harsh chemical solvents. SONAX Wheel Cleaner is tough on dirt, but gentle on your vehicle s wheels.*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MPBGT
12-19-2014, 10:49 PM
There is the "Dub" brand wheels cleaner made by Meg's that you can buy at walmart. As far as I can tell it works like Sonax FE. They sure smell similar

allenk4
12-19-2014, 11:59 PM

Almost forgot, if your wheels arent clear coated or powdercoated...meaning if they are uncoated bare metal, then you will want to avoid the IronX and TarX. Once you get them clean you can still coat them but the IronX will damage uncoated bare metal.

Are you sure?

Wills65
12-20-2014, 01:37 AM
Are you sure?

I went back and re-read the product description and it says:

Note: Iron X should not be used on bare metal parts, brake calipers, wheel balancing weights, or SMART paint repairs. Mask off these areas. Avoid letting Iron X dry on any surface.

I didnt find anything about the TarX being damaging to bare metal wheels though so I guess TarX is safe.

Kevin Cullen
12-20-2014, 02:11 AM
Give PS 21 wheel gel a try, safe for all kinds of wheels. Let it dwell for up to two hours for stubborn dirt. If that doesn't work go for the PS 21 polishing soap, if they are still there then use a liquid white metal polish and a cotton cloth. Extreme cases will be on need of the liquid polish and 0000 steel wool. If the steel wool is used work with the grain of the metal and try first in the backside in the barrel. If these are uncoated and you get fine scratching the white polish on the cotton rag should remove them. If not then a green 1st white final may have to be used.