PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of Wiper Window Smearing

Jazee
12-19-2014, 01:27 AM
Have brand new wipers and this Acura MDX I just bought (39K miles) the wipers "smear" in that briefly the window looks sort of like it's fogged up (on the outside). Smears worse on the return pass. Not that bad. I figured there must be some build-up/residue or something on the windshield so I took some laquer thinner to it then cleaned with an alcohol based glass cleaner. Wiper are Goodyears from Costco that I bought as temp replacements to try while I wait for some Valeo 900s that won't arrive until after I get back from a road trip.

It's been a while since I was doing DIY detailing so I forget the tricks. Still have a random orbit buffer and some Klasse AIO. I generally don't put Rainx or Aquapel on the front window, only on the back and sides. Performance seems best when the window is clean of any sealers. Windows looks to be in good condition but this smearing is bugging me.

Any recommendations? Something easy/cheap/quick preferably.

NeoSquall
12-19-2014, 01:33 AM
I would just put rainx on the front windscreen and it solves ur smearing.

next i would clean the wiperblades with IPA. there may be oils on it hence giving the smearing.

Setec Astronomy
12-19-2014, 07:20 AM
That Honda/Acura windshield glass is weird, it's very soft and does weird things when you clean it, particularly on the inside. I would try the KAIO or Rain-X, if you're uncertain try it on the passenger side half and see how you like it.

FUNX650
12-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Make sure to also clean the wiper-refills as thoroughly as you cleaned the windshield.
Then apply some 303-AP to them. Allow them to completely dry before use.

How about the "condition" of the windshield reservoir fluid?
It's the favorite breeding ground of some bacteria,
including Legionella!! Changing it out seasonally is not a bad idea, IMO.

Bob

Jazee
12-19-2014, 10:33 AM
I would just put rainx on the front windscreen and it solves ur smearing.

next i would clean the wiperblades with IPA. there may be oils on it hence giving the smearing.

I like a good IPA beer but didn't realize you could clean your windshield with it? Glossary help!

expdetailing
12-19-2014, 11:37 AM
I like a good IPA beer but didn't realize you could clean your windshield with it? Glossary help!

You been drink'n?

cardaddy
12-19-2014, 12:14 PM
We have used those Costco Goodyear's for years now, excellent value for the money.

Sounds like there may be some sort of oils in the rubber. :dunno:

I'd put a glass coating on the windshield and go at that. Although I remember when I was young, on road trips with my Dad, he'd pull over and get a Coke and pour it on the windshield when it started "smearing". And it worked! Never did that myself, just can't bring myself to pouring all that gunk on my vehicles! :laughing:

Paul A.
12-19-2014, 12:32 PM
IPA = isopropyl alcohol.

FUNX650
12-19-2014, 01:14 PM
IPA = isopropyl alcohol.
Sometimes IPA =

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image764.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/88683)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image765.jpg

Bob

conman1395
12-19-2014, 02:06 PM
We have used those Costco Goodyear's for years now, excellent value for the money.

Sounds like there may be some sort of oils in the rubber. :dunno:

I'd put a glass coating on the windshield and go at that. Although I remember when I was young, on road trips with my Dad, he'd pull over and get a Coke and pour it on the windshield when it started "smearing". And it worked! Never did that myself, just can't bring myself to pouring all that gunk on my vehicles! :laughing:
Well if it will clean coins and battery acid it will sure clean bugs and residue! The phosphoric acid might do wonders to the paint or plastic trim it will dwell on too.....

Jazee
12-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Okay, I'll try IPA on the blades and try Klasse AIO on one side of the windshield and see how that goes. I just used all my Aquapel. I've found Aquapel to last much longer than Rainx. But is Rainx superior as far as windshield application due to no smearing? I should call it 'hazing' - that seems like a better word to describe it but you guys get what I'm talking about.

Actually it would be fun to divide windshield into 4ths. 1/4th Aquapel, 1/4th Rainx, 1/4th AIO and 1/4th nothing and compare. Someone on these forums MUST have done something similar before?

DaveT435
12-19-2014, 03:42 PM
I've found that Optimum Opti glass doesn't have the negative effects that some of the other glass coatings have, fogging, smearing, etc. I put it on my wife's new MDX and it works great. A little pricey but does the job.

cardaddy
12-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Well if it will clean coins and battery acid it will sure clean bugs and residue! The phosphoric acid might do wonders to the paint or plastic trim it will dwell on too.....

While there are very small amounts of both phosphoric acid and citric acid (less citric than in orange juice), the largest quantity is carbonic acid.

All I know is it sure works! :eek:
Then again, so do dryer sheets (at least for removing bug guts). ;)

Bunky
12-20-2014, 08:18 AM
If you really want to clean them consider CarPro CerriGlass. It is messy but can clean up glass even with a foam polishing pad rather than the glass cleaning pads.