PDA

View Full Version : BMW wheel rotor rust

rms64
12-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Hi everyone..

Just had the rear brakes done on my 335i today, which included new rotors. Any suggestions as to how to treat them (or if even possible) to avoid the standard eventual rusting? Prefer not to remove the wheels, but this would be an option. Thanks!

New rears:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=88672

Rusty fronts...yuck:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=88671

Ebg18t
12-17-2014, 06:30 PM
The brake surface of the rotor will always rust. You could paint the rotor hat (center part of rotor on the hub) to make it a tad cleaner.

expdetailing
12-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Yes, I have the cure for you. Buy some HD metal protector (GOOGLE IT), then apply to wherever you like except the brake pad contact area. If you apply it thin enough, it will be transperant. However, I don't see getting around taking off the wheels with any method that isn't half-baked.

rms64
12-17-2014, 06:59 PM
The brake surface of the rotor will always rust. You could paint the rotor hat (center part of rotor on the hub) to make it a tad cleaner.

Yep, sorry - I should have been more clear and titled this "BMW Brake Rotor Rust", and understand that the braking surface itself will inevitably rust. I really was more concerned with the hat - thanks!

Yes, I have the cure for you. Buy some HD metal protector (GOOGLE IT), then apply to wherever you like except the brake pad contact area. If you apply it thin enough, it will be transperant. However, I don't see getting around taking off the wheels with any method that isn't half-baked.

Thank you - I'll check it out and agree wheel removal is the way to go.

The Guz
12-17-2014, 07:04 PM
I always recommend painting the rotor hat to have them from showing rust.

OCD Detailing
12-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Best bet is some flat black heat paint. That area rusts easily. I spent 4 hours removing the rust from where the hub bolts goes and painted the hub area with black heat paint since I don't run center caps on my wheels, but the same stuff can work on the other parts. Rustoleum also makes a spray paint that basically turns the rust black (charcoal) color) I have heard that works pretty well. The heat paint holds up pretty well. My brakes get hot enough after a 20 min session at the track that you can feel the heat from over 4 feet away and almost burn yourself just trying to torque the lug nuts.

If you want to keep them metal color you could use a dremmel to get all the rust off then buy the rustoleium clear spray to spray them.

Ebg18t
12-17-2014, 10:11 PM
Yep, sorry - I should have been more clear and titled this "BMW Brake Rotor Rust", and understand that the braking surface itself will inevitably rust. I really was more concerned with the hat - thanks!

i kinda figured that, but after seeing someone paint the rotor surface I don't assume anything anymore. Lol. I have used engine paint on rotor hats with good luck in the past.

rms64
12-17-2014, 10:18 PM
I always recommend painting the rotor hat to have them from showing rust.

Best bet is some flat black heat paint. That area rusts easily. I spent 4 hours removing the rust from where the hub bolts goes and painted the hub area with black heat paint since I don't run center caps on my wheels, but the same stuff can work on the other parts. Rustoleum also makes a spray paint that basically turns the rust black (charcoal) color) I have heard that works pretty well. The heat paint holds up pretty well. My brakes get hot enough after a 20 min session at the track that you can feel the heat from over 4 feet away and almost burn yourself just trying to torque the lug nuts.

If you want to keep them metal color you could use a dremmel to get all the rust off then buy the rustoleium clear spray to spray them.

i kinda figured that, but after seeing someone paint the rotor surface I don't assume anything anymore. Lol. I have used engine paint on rotor hats with good luck in the past.

Thanks guys...I'm not sure I'm a big fan of painting the rotor hat so may just try to fend off the inevitable for as long as possible. The new rotors just look so COOL! :dblthumb2::dblthumb2: