PDA

View Full Version : Problem buffing a boat

gulfside
12-17-2014, 03:20 PM
I was buffing and waxing a 29ft Stamas boat today and was having a very hard time getting the finish to look even. It has light oxidation on the exterior hull and medium oxidation on the interior. I was using a porter cable on the hull and the other guy was using a rotary buffer on the inside. We were both having problems trying to get the finish to look smooth and even, it would look great looking dead on but if you looked at an angle you would see almost a haze in certain areas. We tried different pads and products but nothing seemed to make it better. Has anyone experienced a problem like this or have any advice? We have to get this boat done this week but I'm mot sure what to try next. We've done plenty of boats and never had a problem like this.

Ebg18t
12-17-2014, 06:36 PM
When I do my boat I use a TON of pads (4-5x more than a car). I also use a gel coat compound which seems to cut thru the oxidation faster. Most of all I think it is just the nessesity to change pads more often as they clog quick with removed oxidation. If I didn't change pads often enough I got hazy sections.

EliteDetailing
12-17-2014, 07:22 PM
I've had situations where the boat looks great when compounding & then terrible when you put wax on it. I've talked to several full time boat detailers that tell me they don't wax highly oxidized boats they only compound them. Although I don't know how a customer would feel about not protecting the boat after...

gulfside
12-18-2014, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the responses. I am going to pick up some buff magic and give it another try today. It's funny what you said about the wax because I tried putting 3M marine wax with Scotchguard on a section after it was buffed and it didn't look right at all.