PDA

View Full Version : Which waterless wash?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Supergus1
12-16-2014, 05:55 PM
So it's that time of the year up here in New England. Too cold to wash, too much road grime for the touch free car wash to clean. What are your thoughts on waterless washes? Which brand would you tend to be faithful to? Also, is there a temp that may be too low for waterless washes?

builthatch
12-16-2014, 06:28 PM
So it's that time of the year up here in New England. Too cold to wash, too much road grime for the touch free car wash to clean. What are your thoughts on waterless washes? Which brand would you tend to be faithful to? Also, is there a temp that may be too low for waterless washes?

if the ambient in the area where the car resides is freezing, the waterless will freeze on the panel too.

do you have access to a garage? even if the garage isn't insulated, it can help keep temps high enough to prevent freezing.

if i didn't have a garage and/or my temperature controlled water source, and it was THAT cold, i'd probably just use the sprayers at the DIY wash to get the main stuff off and keep the undercarriage as clean as possible either before a wash or until i could wash. i would hate spending money on such a thing though, i'm too frugal haha.

FUNX650
12-16-2014, 06:34 PM
IMO:
•If a waterless-wash product is water-based/water dilutable...it'll have a freezing-point.
-Probably a little lower than 32°F.
-Don't forget about the wind-chill factor: It can rapidly
drive temperatures downward when washing outdoors.

•Meguiar's D114 is my favorite "waterless-wash" product.

Bob

Supergus1
12-16-2014, 08:27 PM
if the ambient in the area where the car resides is freezing, the waterless will freeze on the panel too.

do you have access to a garage? even if the garage isn't insulated, it can help keep temps high enough to prevent freezing.

if i didn't have a garage and/or my temperature controlled water source, and it was THAT cold, i'd probably just use the sprayers at the DIY wash to get the main stuff off and keep the undercarriage as clean as possible either before a wash or until i could wash. i would hate spending money on such a thing though, i'm too frugal haha.
Unfortunately I don't have a garage, and like you, don't like spending money, especially for lack luster results. At the DIY wash it costs me $6 just to rinse, and if I use soap first, I'm up to $10-12. And that doesn't remove the road film. I've learned to take advantage of every day above freezing so i figured a waterless product would do the trick.
Bob, thanks for the input. I had forgotten about Meg's. I usually think DP, Pinnacle, etc for waterless stuff.

fly07sti
12-16-2014, 11:15 PM
+1 on d114. That stuff is Legit! If you crave something with some protection built in, look into d115.

Real Riders
12-17-2014, 12:26 AM
I think Pinnacle Waterless is the best deal for what you get. Pinnacle Waterless dilution rates are 1:32 ratio which is 1 oz of solution to a 32oz bottle. One gallon of concentrate will make 128 32 oz bottles or 32 gallons of waterless wash. Ultima Waterless Wash will make more gallons but the Pinnacle in my opinion leaves a better shine due the Carnauba Wax.

swanicyouth
12-17-2014, 12:39 AM
I think Pinnacle Waterless is the best deal for what you get. Pinnacle Waterless dilution rates are 1:32 ratio which is 1 oz of solution to a 32oz bottle. One gallon of concentrate will make 128 32 oz bottles or 32 gallons of waterless wash. Ultima Waterless Wash will make more gallons but the Pinnacle in my opinion leaves a better shine due the Carnauba Wax.

Mega dittos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenblade2001
12-17-2014, 01:46 AM
I've been using Ecosmart by Chemical guys. It's good for the summer, and "quick wash" of the daily road grime (in between weekly washes). During the winter, when I can't do the weekly wash, I'm switching to a rinseless wash.

conman1395
12-17-2014, 01:55 AM
I bought a lot of Eco Touch when it was on clearance. It is amazing. It's protection really does last a while, at least a week since that's the longest I've gone between it and a regular wash. It could've easily lasted longer. The spray bottle is also fantastic and uses very little product with a great sprayer. Works well on glass and makes water sheet off well too.

fly07sti
12-17-2014, 03:28 AM
D114 is 1:128

FUNX650
12-17-2014, 08:31 AM
D114 is 1:128
I've also used it at 1:256 :dblthumb2:

Bob

expdetailing
12-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't D114 a rinsless (@1:128) that can be used as a waterless (@1:4).
I've tried to buy into the idea of using a rinsless as a waterless, but the dillution ratios make it cost prohibitive.

FUNX650
12-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't D114 a rinsless (@1:128) that can be used as a waterless (@1:4).
I've tried to buy into the idea of using a rinsless as a waterless, but the dillution ratios make it cost prohibitive.
@1:4?
Might you be thinking about Meguiar's D115?

Bob

Klasse Act
12-17-2014, 09:59 AM
I've used 2 different waterless washes to date with great success. My first was ECO TOUCH, won a contest for it here on AG (thanks Nick) and it was very easy to use! Its all environmentally friendly contents and left a VERY nice finish!! The next and current one is Griot's Garages version of it. This product is equally easy to use and also leaves a great finish and FWIW both products smell great:dblthumb2:

IMO the key when using ANY waterless wash is plush, MF towel, preferably edgeless ones. Depending upon the size of the car, you should have atleast 6 of them and maybe one special one for buffing, atleast a dry one for it. Just follow the vids posted here for using the waterless wash and you'll be good to go.

MI Mike
12-17-2014, 10:47 AM
My preference is the OPT No Rinse/Shine. The verdict on Meg's. D-114 is still out. You will see diff. opinions. My choice is to make sure to get the road salt (chunks) off as soon as possible at coin op. with spray. When the temp. rises then you can work on the rest with what ever product you decide on. This area has been discussed numerous times in past threads, etc.