PDA

View Full Version : Hot Water Extraction in Cold Climate for Vehicle Interior

grazere
12-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi Mike,

My name is Eric Grazer and I have a question about cleaning a vehicles' interior. I appreciate you taking the time to read my question and help me out!

Over the weekend I decided it was time to thoroughly clean my car so I rented a Rug Doctor from home depot with upholstery attachment. I believe this is commonly called steam cleaning but is technically using hot water extraction. I started cleaning at about 5pm when the temperature was 39 degrees with low humidity, but the temperature was expected to hit freezing by about 11pm. I didn't think of the amount of water I was using or that the temperature was going to go so low. I ended around 6pm and let the car sit. By close to 9pm I checked the car and the seats were still wet, I wasn't sure if they were going to dry or what to do so I drove the car for about a half hour with the heat on to try to help dry things out. I then came back, parked the car and checked it in the morning. In the morning everything seemed to be dry and okay.

My questions:

1) When I drove the car I was wearing clean clothes. They got a bit wet but were okay, but because I sat on the seat while it was still wet is that a problem for the cleaning/drying process? Would I need to redo the hot water extraction or as long as it isn't moldy am I okay?

2) What is the best way to use hot water extraction in the winter? If the temperature is below freezing will the seats actually freeze?

Thank you!

Eric Grazer

Mike Phillips
12-15-2014, 09:47 AM
My questions:

1) When I drove the car I was wearing clean clothes. They got a bit wet but were okay, but because I sat on the seat while it was still wet is that a problem for the cleaning/drying process? Would I need to redo the hot water extraction or as long as it isn't moldy am I okay?

Probably be okay. What you want to do after doing any extraction work is to get the interior dry as soon as possible. IN my Detailing Boot Camp Classes I show and we use an air mover to get the air circulating and this speeds up water evaporation.

See my tips article here,

Tips for using Extractors (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rough-draft/85691-tips-using-extractors.html)

Shop-Vac Professional Air Mover (http://www.autogeek.net/shop-vac-air-mover.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=78259

2) What is the best way to use hot water extraction in the winter? If the temperature is below freezing will the seats actually freeze?

Thank you!

Eric Grazer

If the temperature in the area/room/shop/garage you're working in drops to below freezing then I guess it's possible.

You can find out real easy, place a Dixie cup of water in the "area" overnight and see if the water freezes.

I'd recommend getting a space heater and turn it on about an hour before you start working as this will help to bring up the room temp.

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:welcome:

top189h
12-15-2014, 09:47 AM
The only thing I use is dry steam. I've never seen a dry steam cleaner for rent but there are a few cheap options such as the vapamore or the mculloch. It is asking a lot for water to dry when it is this cold. As for redoing it, I would just leave it for now unless the seats still aren't dry. If that's the case, I would try to get it in a warm garage, see if there's anything you can manually dry, and once that's done, open the windows and put a few fans inside to circulate the air.

parttimer
12-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Wow, I didn't know AG was selling those air movers! Add to wish list!!

allenk4
12-15-2014, 08:20 PM
If you used proper extraction technique, there should not be a lot of residual moisture left in the carpet or seat

Make sure you are making two passes.

- The 1st one with the suction an sprayer on

- The 2nd pass with suction only, immediately after the 1st pass

So you are working one "strip" at a time