PDA

View Full Version : Flex or Rupes?

Pages : [1] 2 3

HateSwirls
12-15-2014, 06:58 AM
Hello guys, I know this subject has been beaten to death but I'm just not sure which unit to buy.

My shop has only been open for two weeks and slammed with work,a lot of paint correction work.

Right now I have my DeWalt 849x, GG6, PC, and the small GG 3".
So which one is best?
The Flex as I've read has the most power with forced rotation while the Rupes has a massive throw.

I'd buy both but I've spend a lot of money since I opened my shop and Christmas took a lot of funds.

Being I can only buy one right now, Flex or Rupes?
This pass weekend I had to wet sand a lot on a 2014 GMC due to scratches, my rotary and GG6 did the job but wanting another machine.

Thanks In Advance

Kevin

EVOlved
12-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Your going to get a ton of feedback to get the Flx from here that seems to be the consensus on this forum, meanwhile on others you may have different results. The Flex like you stated has the forced rotation going for it as well as the LC interchangeable system so you you can use 5", 5.5", or 6.5" pads. The Rupes has the smoothness of the machine going for it and cutting down time on large flat panels so it would be a tough choice for me as well honestly. In your shoes if buying a Rupes I would probably only go to the 21. Sorry for no real recommendation here but I felt like sharing my insight.

HateSwirls
12-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Your going to get a ton of feedback to get the Flx from here that seems to be the consensus on this forum, meanwhile on others you may have different results. The Flex like you stated has the forced rotation going for it as well as the LC interchangeable system so you you can use 5", 5.5", or 6.5" pads. The Rupes has the smoothness of the machine going for it and cutting down time on large flat panels so it would be a tough choice for me as well honestly. In your shoes if buying a Rupes I would probably only go to the 21. Sorry for no real recommendation here but I felt like sharing my insight.

Thanks ,
So you're saying the Rupes cuts the work time faster than of the Flex on large, flat panels ?

Forgot to mention this but I also want my next machine to be smooth so I don't get tired as I am now.

FrankS
12-15-2014, 07:38 AM
They are both good machines. I would go with the Flex to start off with. The Flex is a smooth running machine also when paired with the right pads, though the Rupes is smoother IMO. The LC Hybrid pads work great with the Flex.

With the Flex, you will be able to handle curved panels without the machine slowing down, which is good when you are pressed for time. After you make some profit then get yourself the Rupes. When you get the Rupes, you should get the entire system, Rupes pads & polishes, since they were designed to work together for a smoother buffing experience.

Mike Phillips
12-15-2014, 08:21 AM
IF you study the Rupes "system" it was never intended to be a one-tool fix for detailing cars.

Example: The Rupes 21 with it's 7" pad is designed for large flat panels not entire cars. That's why they built other Rupes polishers.

So if you want to go with the Rupes "system" then start with the Rupes Bigfoot 15 and build in a budget to continue adding more of their tools to your arsenal. Also factor in their pads, compounds and polishes as it is a "true system" approach engineered from start to finish.

If you want to get one tool that gives you the grunt power of a rotary buffer but the no hologram feature from the oscillating action then get the Flex 3401 and as I recommend on this forum, in my classes and in my new how-to book, get the LC Adapter Plate System so you can turn 5" Hybrid pads.

FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-backing-plates.html)

See these articles too....

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/58359-how-use-one-step-cleaner-wax-maximize-profits.html)

How to use the Flex 3401 to detail faster and maximize profits! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/77488-how-use-flex-3401-detail-faster-maximize-profits.html)

High quality production detailing by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76337-high-quality-production-detailing-mike-phillips.html)

Here's Marius at Wayne Carini's F40.com shop using the Flex 3401 on a Ferrari F430 with a 5" Hybrid pad.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1844/Buffing_Waynes_Ferrari_F430_005.jpg

And I also recommend getting a copy of my new how-to book...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=83320

On Autogeek.net

How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-polisher-book.html)
For both Production Detailing & Show Car Detailing

:xyxthumbs:

swanicyouth
12-15-2014, 09:54 AM
Mike, do you think Rupes offers a finishing advantage? Occasionally, you'll see someone having a difficult time with a 3401 getting micro-mar free results on softer dark paint.

While I'm guessing this is technique related, I can't help but wonder if the direct drive makes it more difficult?

Kamakaz1961
12-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Hateswirls, what a wonderful problem you have! You are getting busy and need to look for something to make more money and be more effective at making more money!! That is soooo cool!!! Congrats, 1st off. :dblthumb2:

From a business perspective (I own my business, not related to detailing); hands down go straight to the Flex 3401 VRG with the LC Backing Plates....PERIOD! Get the 5" & 6.5" Hybrid Pads. IMO this will also reduce your time detailing a car. These pads works wonders with the Flex.

You will save more time working with the Flex vs Rupes. The Rupes is more of a "specialized" system. You have 3 machines for 3 different reasons. You have to get their pads and product to be just as effective "overall" compared to the Flex.

Your PC can be converted to a 3" DA and be just as effective as the Rupes IMO.

Time is money and you will earn more money with the Flex vs Rupes. I believe the Rupes system is incredible and having both Flex and Rupes would be the "ultimate" system. But you can live without the Rupes.

Now all what I said is my opinion and many others will think I am full of doo doo.

However, from one business owner to another, get the Flex. Mike Phillips (Master Yoda) is correct!

:buffing:

Caleb@ImpeccableImage
12-15-2014, 10:37 AM
I own a few rupes machines and a flex and If I were you I would buy the Flex with the LC interchangeable bp system.

dlc95
12-15-2014, 11:46 AM
I understand that the Rupes is a fantastic series of polishers. I even have a couple in my wish list. But I understand that they are true random orbit machines, on a free spindle mechanism. While I love that style machine, and have used them for things I never before imagined regarding paint correction, the 3401 is a true dual action.

Renny Doyle said that it's a hybrid high-speed. The forced rotation feature can not be over looked. It had torque and power in spades, and is very smooth, and comfortable to operate.

It's been described as a beast, and I have to agree. That machine is just vicious... Devestating, malevolent in it's treatment of paint defects, and it's quick.

I use the Hex Logic pads on it with 105 and 205, or UC and UP. This should illustrate how versatile this machine is in accommodating various pads and chemicals.

AutowerxDetailing
12-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks ,
So you're saying the Rupes cuts the work time faster than of the Flex on large, flat panels ?

Forgot to mention this but I also want my next machine to be smooth so I don't get tired as I am now.

I own a Rupes 21 & 15, 849x, Flex 3401vrg, PCXP, & HF DA. I use my 21 more than anything due to its rate of correction, finishing abilities, and how smooth it operates. My arms aren't nearly as tired at the end of the day with the Rupes compared to the Flex; however, I still use the Flex in certain situations.

Point is, for now I'd suggest the Rupes. But you'll still want to have a Flex in your arsenal for those really curvy panels.

Sent from my N9810 using AG Online

Zubair
12-15-2014, 01:04 PM
From what I understand the Fkex 3401 has been in production for a long while, I am curious if the Version 2 is not far off, maybe 2015? Or on the flip side its so good so no reason to change something thats working perfectly?

sulla
12-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Rupes is if you want to have a new experience..
It takes time to learn the tricks with this machine
Seeing you have a rotary and gg6 the flex will serve you better with no learning curve..

KMdef9
12-15-2014, 01:28 PM
The Flex is the way I went because it's the most powerful while be the most versatile and still reliable.

4 different backing plates, 4", 4 3/8", 5.5" and 6". So that's 4" pads all the way to 6.5" pads, Rupes isn't doing that with 1 machine as mentioned.

I'd also recommend Mike's book on it, great info on it. Will answer all your questions about it faster than thumbing through the many threads on it here. Including his pad experiences/recommendations.

EVOlved
12-15-2014, 03:27 PM
The Flex is the way I went because it's the most powerful while be the most versatile and still reliable.

4 different backing plates, 4", 4 3/8", 5.5" and 6". So that's 4" pads all the way to 6.5" pads, Rupes isn't doing that with 1 machine as mentioned.

I'd also recommend Mike's book on it, great info on it. Will answer all your questions about it faster than thumbing through the many threads on it here. Including his pad experiences/recommendations.

You can't use 4" pads, you can use 5" pads.

VISITOR
12-15-2014, 03:36 PM
From what I understand the Fkex 3401 has been in production for a long while, I am curious if the Version 2 is not far off, maybe 2015? Or on the flip side its so good so no reason to change something thats working perfectly?

i doubt there will be a v.2 as they would of came out with it already at sema (just like a larger throw DA like many that are out now). no need to mess with something that's been proven to work and reliable...