PDA

View Full Version : To Glaze or To Compound year after year

Pages : [1] 2

expdetailing
12-13-2014, 10:23 PM
My friend's black Camry's swirls were removed this past June by polishing.
The swirls are back. Yes, I didn't educate him how to maitaine his finish, but he wouldn't wash his own car anyway, he's older.
So, I thought should I apply a glaze to hide his swirls instead of polishing them out? Seems silliy to coumpond a car every year. Sooner, or later, there will be no CC to polish.
Say, Poorboy's Blackhole, then topped with a sealant should hide the swirls for 6 month or so?
How do you all feel about what I wrote?Feed back please

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Never used PB Blackhole, used CG Blacklight in same situation. Or customers like that with black cars, I would put 2 coats on then top with wax or sealant. In essence, youre headed in the right direction.

fly07sti
12-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. Black Hole is a great product that produces great results. What were you thinking to use for LSP?

expdetailing
12-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. Black Hole is a great product that produces great results. What were you thinking to use for LSP?

Powerlock topped by Collinite 915

Kamakaz1961
12-13-2014, 10:38 PM

:iagree:I would use a sealant. He will mess it up anyways at the car wash. Sealant will last longer than Wax IMO

FUNX650
12-13-2014, 11:31 PM
My friend's black Camry's swirls were removed this past June by polishing.
The swirls are back.

So, I thought should I apply a glaze to hide his swirls instead of polishing them out? Seems silliy to coumpond a car every year.

Sooner, or later, there will be no CC to polish.

How do you all feel about what I wrote?Feed back please
IMO:
•There can be a big difference between compounding and polishing CC.

•If you removed the swirls back in June by polishing...
-Then surely the wash-induced swirls since then can be removed with a polish containing very fine abrasives.
-This method, if performed only when absolutely necessary, should ensure that this vehicle will have CC for its intended life cycle.

RE: Glazes
•Keep in mind that unless glazes are:
"pure polishes"---having no abrasives...
they will remove, at the very least, a minutia of CC.

Bob

allenk4
12-14-2014, 01:07 AM
If he is too lazy to properly wash it....why do you think he would be willing to apply a glaze every 2-4 weeks?

fly07sti
12-14-2014, 02:41 AM
If he is too lazy to properly wash it....why do you think he would be willing to apply a glaze every 2-4 weeks?

Kyle, do you think powerlock topped w/915 will only yield only 2-4 weeks protection over black hole?

expdetailing
12-14-2014, 08:37 AM

He's my sponsor in AA, I try to help him in any way I can.

expdetailing
12-14-2014, 09:03 AM
When I saw his car all swirled-up, I thought it's no wonder dealers just glaze vehicles. Not only is it cheaper and faster, it's also makes sense. Why correct a vehicle when it's just going to go to the swirl-o-matic?

dlc95
12-14-2014, 02:11 PM
This is why I like a product that can do both. I used a lot of Ultimate Polish last summer. Light correction, filling abilities... It was the right compromise for many situations.

allenk4
12-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Kyle, do you think powerlock topped w/915 will only yield only 2-4 weeks protection over black hole?

No, that combo should last much longer than glaze alone

Topping a glaze with a sealant is IMO a better option to fill and protect

Todd Cooperider has endorsed topping CG EZ Glaze with sealant

Ebg18t
12-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Why not use one of the newer AIO's to make life easy? Might be a great time to try one if you haven't already.

expdetailing
12-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Why not use one of the newer AIO's to make life easy? Might be a great time to try one if you haven't already.

I suppose the answer is because I think of AOI this way: If they were designed for multiple purposes, then they can't be really good at any of them. I really like AIO for door jambs, but I'm not aware that they have any fillers or substantial correcting ability (only enough to take a season's worth of swirls away, and no more than) outside of just chemical decontamination.
Are there any AOI with fillers?

fly07sti
12-14-2014, 04:57 PM
No, that combo should last much longer than glaze alone

Topping a glaze with a sealant is IMO a better option to fill and protect

Todd Cooperider has endorsed topping CG EZ Glaze with sealant

Alrite. I think that combo should work good for the OP. I have used EZ glaze, hybrid black light, and black hole and I think BH fills the most. Topping it with powerlock then 915 should be more than enough to keep it looking pretty good until late spring or possibly summer.