PDA

View Full Version : rupes 15 increased vibration after washer mod

Matt@Revive
12-12-2014, 01:18 PM
I recently did the washer mod to my Rupes 15 and i noticed a dramatic increase in vibration. it wash enought for me to remove the washer and run the maching in stock form. now after doing a vehicle with large curvy panel the extra rotation would br helpful. i am going to make a new washer and try it again, i was just wondering if it is normal for the machine to vibrate mode with the washer?

Rsurfer
12-12-2014, 01:38 PM
No it's not normal. Did you use an 8mm metric washer?

Matt@Revive
12-12-2014, 01:46 PM
no it's not normal. Did you use an 8mm metric washer?

5/16"

jarred767
12-12-2014, 02:01 PM
I've got the washer mod on my 21 and noticed absolutely no added vibration. Something must be off a little can you post a picture of the modded washer (by itself and/or on the machine)?

Matt@Revive
12-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I've got the washer mod on my 21 and noticed absolutely no added vibration. Something must be off a little can you post a picture of the modded washer (by itself and/or on the machine)?

the washer got tossed, i'll make another on today and try it again.

Zelfiris
12-12-2014, 02:30 PM
No its not normal. Should not have noticeable increase in vibration

dpk20x
12-12-2014, 03:24 PM
No it's not normal. Did you use an 8mm metric washer?

Is there a problem with an 8mm washer? That's what I've got in mine right now. I've been meaning to grind down a 5/16" but I managed to round off the head of the allen bolt holding the backing plate on.

expdetailing
12-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Are you shaving two side flat on the washer? I assume you know it needs to fit in the recess of the backing plate, right?
If you gained vibration, that probably means that you sandwiched the washer between the BP and the spindle at an angle, even though it felt tight after tightening. I've accidentaly installed the washer at an angle before. Make sure you're not doing so.

swanicyouth
12-12-2014, 04:13 PM
I think the issue could be the washer slightly cocked in the bore it sits in. If the washer is a hair too large this could happen. The bore in the BP is slightly chamfered, making a washer that looks like it fits become cock-eyed when it's tightened down. All washers of this size are not identical. Just make sure it's straight and the BP spins true.

Matt@Revive
12-12-2014, 04:29 PM
i used a 5/16" washer and shaved the 2 sides dowm so i fit in the backing plate. i also sanded the washer faces to remove any flashing or high spots. maybe i had a funky washer. i'll make another and try again.