PDA

View Full Version : Costco MF question

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

KMdef9
12-11-2014, 07:58 PM
I'm looking to put together a car care kit for my brother in-law as a gift for Christmas (on top of the microbrew beer I find him). I'm curious if the Costco MFs will work for a rinseless wash (specifically the Gary Dean method). I only have experience using MF's sold here and from other detailing sites, and I've never purchased the Costco brand before. I've heard there a decent towel at a good price. So, other than that, I'm looking for some input. The kits I've put together for other people, I knew were going to take care of everything and/or could 2BM.

Few facts about him and his situation;
-Lives in an apartment
-Cares for his belongings, but never spends alot
-Always looking for the cheapest way to do things, but not a cheapskate
-Well kept type of person
-Has never used a rinsless wash system before
-Just got a new-to-him car, I'm thinking he'll take care of it (he didn't care for is rusted out 97 avenger)
-He's not looking for a flawless finish for his DD
-I've offered to AIO/polish it in the spring time for him

So since he lives in the apartment, cold days I'm sure will get him discouraged, he may not use the gift that often and I doubt he'll be making a special load for MF's in the community washer/dryer in the apartments. That's why I don't want to buy him $40 in arctic white MF's for them to be misused, or not used.

Any input is appreciated!

jamesboyy
12-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Sounds like a great gift idea, with that said Costco towels are not the best for rinseless/waterless methods as they are not plush enough but with that said, and in your current situation I would go for such choice then once the detail bug has bitten, and you see it has then I would go for something like the towels you suggested.

KMdef9
12-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Sounds like a great gift idea, with that said Costco towels are not the best for rinseless/waterless methods as they are not plush enough but with that said, and in your current situation I would go for such choice then once the detail bug has bitten, and you see it has then I would go for something like the towels you suggested.

Thanks!

I know they're not the best choice, but I don't want to gamble or spoil the gift surprise.

Will they mar the paint no matter what? Or could he be very careful and use a ton of the towels?

On a side note, does anyone know how much they run per towel?

jamesboyy
12-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks!

I know they're not the best choice, but I don't want to gamble or spoil the gift surprise.

Will they mar the paint no matter what? Or could he be very careful and use a ton of the towels?

On a side note, does anyone know how much they run per towel?

As long as he is careful enough there shouldn't be no problems that occur

SameGuy
12-11-2014, 08:21 PM
I've used the Kirkland Gold MFs for RW and they work just fine.

As part of a kit for someone who isn't obsessed with detailing they will work well. The goal is for him to keep his car clean, not necessarily show-car-presentable.

KMdef9
12-11-2014, 08:25 PM
As long as he is careful enough there shouldn't be no problems that occur

Great, as long as he uses a few per panel (Ford Focus) he should be alright.

I've used the Kirkland Gold MFs for RW and they work just fine.

As part of a kit for someone who isn't obsessed with detailing they will work well. The goal is for him to keep his car clean, not necessarily show-car-presentable.

Kirkland is the brand name Costco carries?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Plus I'll correct minor scratches/marring he may have caused in the spring, so his technique will be better by then (I hope).

Ebg18t
12-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Chemical guys offers some decent MF's for reasonable prices. I just bought a dozen for $20.

KMdef9
12-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Chemical guys offers some decent MF's for reasonable prices. I just bought a dozen for $20.

Shipped? California to Michigan is where they get me.

SameGuy
12-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Great, as long as he uses a few per panel (Ford Focus) he should be alright.
Ideal!

Kirkland is the brand name Costco carries?
Yep.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Plus I'll correct minor scratches/marring he may have caused in the spring, so his technique will be better by then (I hope).
That's how I've done it with my friends and family, and it has worked well! :)

KMdef9
12-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Just trying to keep him out of the car wash and away from the coin-op brush.

Plus it's a good way to pawn off some of the products I don't use anymore, lol.

SameGuy
12-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Perfect. And I'm stealing your idea for my brother in law. :)

allenk4
12-11-2014, 09:00 PM
I have some light blue CostCo MF's that are more than adequate for Waterless, Rinseless and even the compounding step

I would not use them for the final polishing step and they do wear out more quickly

I think it is better for him to have a bunch of decent towels than a few really good ones.

KMdef9
12-11-2014, 09:50 PM
I have some light blue CostCo MF's that are more than adequate for Waterless, Rinseless and even the compounding step

I would not use them for the final polishing step and they do wear out more quickly

I think it is better for him to have a bunch of decent towels than a few really good ones.

Is there a difference between the colors? I've seen orange and blue mentioned.

He won't be doing any polishing, I have my MF Madness for that.

That's along the same lines I was thinking, kind of a 1 size fits all MF for a begginer.

cardaddy
12-11-2014, 10:36 PM
The Costco Kirkland 'golds' are actually a 350gsm towel. I've weighed them alongside Cobra Gold Plush Jr's as well as MFT and CG similar units. All weigh literally within a couple grams of each other. But as you know when handling them, they are not as plush, not as soft, not as thick. How can that be? Because there is a lot of weight in the backing material and less in the long, plush, nap. ;)

Using them for the GDM actually works though, and I think in the situation you described that wouldn't be a bad idea.

What I would do however is WASH THEM FIRST. The tags need to come off before using, and they just don't want to do that before washing (without cutting them). After washing and drying if you'll slip your finger inside the loop (tag) and grab one side of the tag (not the entire tag). Then hold the stitching VERY CAREFULLY, and VERY TIGHTLY right up next to the tag with your other hand. Now give the (single side of the) tag a crisp yank in one direction, not trying to totally remove it. Then hold it on the other side so you can pull it in the opposite direction, (staying on the same side of the loop at this point) and give it a quick SNAP in the opposite direction. That side should come cleanly out of the perimeter stitching.

Now that one side of the 'loop' is removed you can get the other side done much easier. Again, hold it tightly (while holding the stitching) and give it a crisp yank in one direction.... followed by a quick SNAP in the opposite direction and the entire tag will be removed. Don't have to cut it out, but you DO have to wash and dry them first. :)

Doing the rinseless wash he'll not even need the grit guard. (Although you should really give him a couple just for being a good guy.) ;)

Just make sure that he uses AT LEAST 18~24 towels each time he does the rinseless wash. They are so affordable that using one for and entire panel doesn't make sense.
Just get him to fill the bucket about half way then fill it to the top with a stack of towels. Continue to fill it till all the towels are submerged. Grab a towel.... slap it on the surface, pull the corners up (to keep the edges from digging in) and lightly pull it across the surface. I'll only pull it in one direction, or at least just forward and back (but not circular or in multiple directions) but then again I'm as OCD as it gets when doing something as dangerous as rinseless washing. (OK I do the same thing pretty much with boatloads of foam too.) :rolleyes:

The key I'd say is (with not just those towels but ANY towel) is not using it but for a fairly small area. Like I said, I'll pull it once, maybe then turn it around and pull it back across the surface, (no more than two widths of a towel per towel use) then grab another one.

tenblade2001
12-11-2014, 10:48 PM
I have the kirkland MF towels and think they ok. Washing them before he uses them is a must or else they will lint like crazy. So, I would do him a favor and wash them first.