PDA

View Full Version : Which brand

Pages : [1] 2 3

DrBlockHed
12-11-2014, 03:48 PM
I currently use Adams Polish exclusively. I'm fairly happy with there products but realize there's a ton of detailing choices out there. I started looking into some different products and there is so much to choose from im getting quite confused. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm pretty much open to anything, I've done paint correction and own a flex polisher.

Any specific type of shampoo, detail spray, apc that you guys can recommend?

Thanks

conman1395
12-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Meguiar's is good over a very wide range of products, including everything you listed. I only use Meguiar's and Menzerna polishes. Duragloss shampoo, but Meguiar's Gold Class is extremely underrated and very good and inexpensive. Meguiars APC. Menzerna and the Flex 3401 seem to be a very popular combination, but I have no experience with the Flex.

The Guz
12-11-2014, 04:42 PM
I use Meguiar's for a majority of things. Check out their APC D101 in the detailer line. They have some shampoo's as well in their detailer line (Hyperwash, Shampoo Plus).

What exactly are you looking for in the detail spray? Meguiar's has a few as well.

brondondolon
12-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Adams products are like Apple products to me. Sure the iphone is a good phone but when it comes to hardware and options the choice is clear which one is superior. Not to get on an apple adroid debate though.

What im getting at is Adams is probably comparible to many other products. Some will be better, but some will be comparible. Megs APC for instance is almost identical in power when it comes to Adams APC. But megs is half the price if im not mistaken.

Companies ive yet to find a complaint about and blow me away every time i try a new product are as followed in order.

Wolfgang
Carpro
Megs (all aside from their ultimate line)
Collinite

Kamakaz1961
12-11-2014, 04:55 PM
I agree with brondondon: Adams products are like Apple products to me. Sure the iphone is a good phone but when it comes to hardware and options the choice is clear which one is superior. Not to get on an apple android debate though.

What im getting at is Adams is probably comparible to many other products. Some will be better, but some will be comparible. Megs APC for instance is almost identical in power when it comes to Adams APC. But megs is half the price if im not mistaken.

:iagree:I am a Menzerna Fan for their correcting (FG400) and Polishing (SF4500) and sealant. I do have a couple of Wolfgang Products too.

Good luck with your search! I hope it does not cause headaches like it did to me when I was finding out a suitable product!

DaveT435
12-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Well welcome first of all.
Are you a hobbyest or professional?
The Menzerna line has been great. Their FG 400 is great. I use Optimum Hyper polish, very versatile and user friendly. For sealants And coatings I've gone to GTechniq.
While it would be nice to pick one brand I have found different manufacturers to have stronger products in the differen areas. I've tried several polishes, compounds , sealants, waxes etc. I found what works best for me and I'm sticking with it for now. I'm sure youwill get 100 different opinions...

DrBlockHed
12-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the replies and I'm a hobbyist, I have an 00 Trans Am that gets babied.

My ultimate goal is to find something equal or better and save some money in the process.

Again, I like Adams products almost all of them, but I've never used anything else so I have no comparison. I'd like to see if I'm missing anything.

Thanks again

FUNX650
12-11-2014, 06:52 PM
I have posted to other "Adam's threads"...to no avail.

However:
Just in case my "other brand suggestions" for this thread
goes farther than I can throw Santa and his sleigh;
I'll suggest:
Try starting off with Meguiar's, Menzerna, and Wolfgang product lines.

Thank you for your consideration; and, Goodnight.

Bob

brondondolon
12-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the replies and I'm a hobbyist, I have an 00 Trans Am that gets babied.

My ultimate goal is to find something equal or better and save some money in the process.

Again, I like Adams products almost all of them, but I've never used anything else so I have no comparison. I'd like to see if I'm missing anything.

Thanks again

Here are some products i think you should consider picking up.

Collinite 845

Wolfgang uber compound, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, and trim restorer

Carpro spotless and carpro ceri glass polish kit.

Megs APC

JHL88
12-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Ive used everything in Adam's line. At one point I used to have nothing but Adam's. They make good products. Some better than others but I can tell you they have more aggressive polishes out there. I would pick up some Menzerna FG400 or try some Wolfgang Uber compound, VERY easy to use and excellent cut that finishes down fantastic on most finishes.

I would pick up some trim sealant made by wolfgang or a trim coating like Dlux. Adams SVRT looks great on anything but doesn't last very long.

Also, I think Adam's makes one of the best shampoos out there. I would compare it to anything and I've used dozens of different soaps and I always keep going back to Adam's.

Adams Liquid Sealant is durable but I think it lacks in the looks department. I would go for Menzerna Powerlock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Collinite 845/915 are top notch choices. They are just as durable if not more and look awesome.

As far as towels go I prefer the Guzzler WW drying towel over their Great White towel, however Adam's double soft microfibers are the best I have found. Their single softs are good too. I would check out The Rag Company's Eagle Edgeless MF or Microfiber Madness offerings.

These are just a few of my thoughts on a few products compared to others.

allenk4
12-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Here is a good reference chart for polish aggressiveness

Because it was assembled by Todd Helme when he was with Autopia.net...Adams polishes are notably absent

http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg

DrBlockHed
12-11-2014, 09:52 PM
I have posted to other "Adam's threads"...to no avail.

However:
Just in case my "other brand suggestions" for this thread
goes farther than I can throw Santa and his sleigh;
I'll suggest:
Try starting off with Meguiar's, Menzerna, and Wolfgang product lines.

Thank you for your consideration; and, Goodnight.

Bob

Thanks Bob, not sure why you would want to throw Santa but I'm asking because I'm looking to try something else.

DrBlockHed
12-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Ive used everything in Adam's line. At one point I used to have nothing but Adam's. They make good products. Some better than others but I can tell you they have more aggressive polishes out there. I would pick up some Menzerna FG400 or try some Wolfgang Uber compound, VERY easy to use and excellent cut that finishes down fantastic on most finishes.

I would pick up some trim sealant made by wolfgang or a trim coating like Dlux. Adams SVRT looks great on anything but doesn't last very long.

Also, I think Adam's makes one of the best shampoos out there. I would compare it to anything and I've used dozens of different soaps and I always keep going back to Adam's.

Adams Liquid Sealant is durable but I think it lacks in the looks department. I would go for Menzerna Powerlock, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and Collinite 845/915 are top notch choices. They are just as durable if not more and look awesome.

As far as towels go I prefer the Guzzler WW drying towel over their Great White towel, however Adam's double soft microfibers are the best I have found. Their single softs are good too. I would check out The Rag Company's Eagle Edgeless MF or Microfiber Madness offerings.

These are just a few of my thoughts on a few products compared to others.

Thanks for the info, I looked at the Wolfgang trim sealant and it's like triple the price of the vrt. Is it that much better in terms of longevity?

expdetailing
12-11-2014, 10:31 PM
The Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is still going strong on my van. I applied it in June or July. A few drops goes a very long way. This is one of those products you will find, that because we've been conditioned to use large amount of dressings, you'll inevitably apply way more than you need.
I still have my applicator in a zip lock bag for reapplication if it needs it when winter is gone.
Another thing, coatings, for me, are becoming more and more obvious to replace dressings due to their superiority. Your car, high end detail coatings. Customer wants express interior/exterior dressings for them.
Wolfgang Interior Cockpit Sealant is awesome too. No more reapplications of oily, greasy, and whatever. Now I use Meg's quick interior cleaner for rubber and vinyl.
So, address who you are buying for and would they want interior/exterior sealants or drippy dressings?

DrBlockHed
12-13-2014, 03:24 AM
The Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is still going strong on my van. I applied it in June or July. A few drops goes a very long way. This is one of those products you will find, that because we've been conditioned to use large amount of dressings, you'll inevitably apply way more than you need.
I still have my applicator in a zip lock bag for reapplication if it needs it when winter is gone.
Another thing, coatings, for me, are becoming more and more obvious to replace dressings due to their superiority. Your car, high end detail coatings. Customer wants express interior/exterior dressings for them.
Wolfgang Interior Cockpit Sealant is awesome too. No more reapplications of oily, greasy, and whatever. Now I use Meg's quick interior cleaner for rubber and vinyl.
So, address who you are buying for and would they want interior/exterior sealants or drippy dressings?

Sounds good to me... So you just throw a couple of drops on the applicator? My SUV has plastic trim around the entire bottom of it, will that cover the thing? What applicator do you recommend?