PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

Pages : [1] 2

OCD Detailing
12-11-2014, 02:31 PM
I have read a few threads on in but wanted opinions on two options. I am planning on doing 3 8 foot t12's. At Home Depot or Lowes I can get either a 8' t12 base that accepts 75 watt tubes. They sell the tubes in the 6500k and 4100k or I can get a base that takes t12 110 watt tubes but they only have them in 4100k. I would like the brighter light, I am just concerned that maybe the 4100k will cause the colors to be less accurate.

Preferably I would like 5k bulbs but they don't carry those. Any opinions on the better Kelvins?

Thank you

ski2
12-11-2014, 03:20 PM
5000K is closest to natural daylight. 6500K has a blue tint to it which IMO can throw colors off. 4100K is not far off from the 5000K but not natural uncolored light. I know HD carries 5000K bulbs in 4' as I've converted all my garage lighting to 5000K

brondondolon
12-11-2014, 04:37 PM
4100k is like a standard headlight on a car or a bulb in a lamp in color
6500k is going to be like a LED in color

Do the fixtures fit 2 bulbs side by side? If so why not get both?

ski2
12-11-2014, 05:36 PM
6500k is going to be like a LED in color

Depends on the LED. My LED worklight floods for polishing are 5000K.

builthatch
12-11-2014, 06:01 PM
i have 12 4' 5000K Philips T8s overhead and think they are perfect for detailing. perfectly white light.

FUNX650
12-11-2014, 06:38 PM
T-12s are really inefficient and on their way to oblivion.

I've got the 4' dual T-8s fixtures...
with electronic ballists/@ 0-degree instant start.

Home Depot sells a variety of T-8 lamps:
I like the 32W; 4100 Color Temp.; 78 CRI.

Note:
Some people will even go for the T-5s<<<($$$$)

Bob

OCD Detailing
12-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking T12 because of the 110 watts. I am not so worried about efficiency as I am total brightness and color. Since it's my garage they won't be on as much as if it was a shop. I was thinking 8 foot just out of ease of hanging them and having a solid light running the length of the car. But I can look a little more.

Between a 6500k and a 4100k which would be the best? I am thinking 4100. I can prob get 5000k 8 foot but I think I would have to order it online.

KMdef9
12-11-2014, 08:08 PM
In my experience, the T12 don't last as long as the more efficient ones.

You could always butt 2 4' lamps together (they're designed to do this) and you'd only have a few inch gap of light, which I doubt would make a noticeable difference.

I'd get the electronic ballast that Bob mentioned, they'll be standard for transformers soon enough. The instant light from is great if your working in a colder garage, or if they get cold. Plus they don't humm like the old style.

I agree, 4100 would be better than 6500.

OCD Detailing
12-11-2014, 08:13 PM
In my experience, the T12 don't last as long as the more efficient ones.

You could always butt 2 4' lamps together (they're designed to do this) and you'd only have a few inch gap of light, which I doubt would make a noticeable difference.

I'd get the electronic ballast that Bob mentioned, they'll be standard for transformers soon enough. The instant light from is great if your working in a colder garage, or if they get cold. Plus they don't humm like the old style.

I agree, 4100 would be better than 6500.

Ok, thanks. I started re researching. I am not too worried about cold. I am in southern cal, but no humming would be nice.

Thanks again

KMdef9
12-11-2014, 08:31 PM
I am in southern cal.

:p lol

They still will hit full brightness quicker, which might be only a few seconds.

builthatch
12-11-2014, 08:45 PM
dude, get what i have. trust me. forget about t12 forever lol

EDIT: i just flipped them on to take a couple pics.

sayroger
12-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Good info I am looking for new lighting in my garage. It will be a good winter project for my I the I will go with four foot 5000k. I just need figure out how many and how far apart.

cardaddy
12-11-2014, 10:12 PM
It's the CRI that you're looking at as far as accuracy of color. FWIW the 6500 bulbs are not brighter, just headed more towards blue, (although they do make MUCH bluer bulbs). Want to really see how many different spectrums are out there check out aquarium lighting. You can get them from 4100°K to 12,000°K all the way to 20,000°K!!!! :D

If you really want what is 'perceived' as the best possible lighting situation, you'd go for "full spectrum" lighting. Below that would be "daylight". Both have fairly high CRI ratings, just that full spectrum is up at 98, which is AWESOME! I've used them for years in a freshwater plant aquarium with excellent results.

BTW, as Bob (I think it was Bob) said, mixing the two (4100/6500) will give you pretty darned good light.

Here's an article from Lighting Research Center. (I've highlighted areas to focus on.)

Full-spectrum light sources and color perception. Full-spectrum light sources will probably provide excellent color rendering. Color rendering index (CRI) values for full-spectrum lighting sources are typically greater than 90. Color is a human perception constructed from the combination of the spectral power distribution (SPD) of the light source, the spectral reflectance of the materials being illuminated, and the tri-chromatic nature of the human visual system. If there are gaps or large variations in the SPD of a light source, there is a potential for confusion between the apparent colors of objects. Since full-spectrum light sources usually provide radiant power throughout the visible spectrum, subtle differences in the spectral reflectance characteristics of different objects are discernable. So, when color identification is part of the visual task, such as for graphic arts, museums and color printing applications, full-spectrum light sources will ensure good color discrimination.

Full-spectrum light sources and visual performance. Full-spectrum light sources will not provide better visual performance than other light sources under most circumstances. Visual performance is the speed and accuracy of processing achromatic information (e.g., black print on white paper) by the human visual system. At the relatively high light levels typically found in schools and offices, visual performance is essentially unaffected by the spectral power distribution of the light source, so full-spectrum light sources are, lumen for lumen, no better than any other light source.

Lighting produced by full-spectrum lamps may be, however, perceived as providing brighter architectural spaces than other lamps (Boyce, 2002; Berman, 1990). Three factors may contribute to this effect. First, full-spectrum light sources typically have a high correlated color temperature (CCT) of 5000K - 7500K. Lamps with higher CCT values produce greater brightness perception than lamps with lower CCT of the same luminance. Second, most full-spectrum light sources have high color rendering properties, meaning that surface colors will appear more saturated. Greater saturation will also give the impression of greater brightness (Boyce, 1977). Third, the ultraviolet (UV) radiation produced by some full-spectrum fluorescent lamps has a fluorescing, brightening effect on textiles and paper that have been treated with whitening agents. These combined effects on brightness perception may indeed have positive impact on building occupants, but greater perceived brightness can also be a liability, depending upon the expectations of the space's occupants (Veitch and McColl, 2001).

ski2
12-11-2014, 11:25 PM
The Philips T8, 48", 32 watt, 5000K bulbs from HD have a CRI of 82.

Bob--what is it you like about the 4100K as perhaps I'm missing something??

FUNX650
12-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Bob--what is it you like about the 4100K as perhaps I'm missing something??
•Every person's interpretation of illumination differs.

•I happen to find that 4100K gives off what I judge to be:
a truer, cooler-white...a more energetic-feel for the garage.

When I go to the more daylight end of the K-spectrum (5000-6500K) I interpret that there is too much of a "blueness" being emitted...has an aggravating feel.

•However:
If you personally judge that the 5000K best provides for your needs in the garage, then that's what you should go with.

Bob