PDA

View Full Version : at the right angle in sunlight my windshield has tons of sparklies

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
12-11-2014, 05:29 AM
I Googled this and found a lot of threads all over the place about this. A lot of the people commented on a sand storm causing this. Where I live in So Cal we don't get much wind, and I can't remember the last time I saw a sand storm. Depending on angle the view threw my windshield's either really good, or I see a ton of sparkly flecks. It's been maybe 2 months since I noticed this. Last week I washed my car and used a Nanoskin Sponge on it, it didn't seem to make a bit of difference. I've never used any polishes or anything besides clay & glass cleaner on it. Using my hand I can't feel any pits.

Now the various threads I found on Google, people are saying different things here. None of the threads I found were on here so I'm asking because I seem to always get the best knowledge and advice on AGO. What should I do here? I don't have a DA and won't be getting one until the MT-300 comes out, which is soon but no release date. Is there a way to correct this by hand? I have a garage full of detailing supplies, but I don't have what's needed here. All I've tried thus far is cleaning it really really good. And the Nano Sponge. On Google people were saying to use steel wool and some sort of abrasive cleaner's name I can't remember off the top of my head. I would rather not do something that could potentially damage my windsheild to where I need to replace it. I can live with how it is, but would like to correct it.

I'm sure this has been discussed here a bunch of times, but I'll be damned if I can find the threads - I searched and came up empty handed.

CopperMtnGuy
12-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Sounds like the sparkles are really small chips to me.

Sicoupe
12-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Sounds like the sparkles are really small chips to me.+1

driverman1
12-11-2014, 10:35 AM
I have the same problem on mine it is small chips. I believe the only fix for mine is a new windshield. To many miles of freeway driving I guess.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
12-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Sounds like the sparkles are really small chips to me.

They're everywhere across the entire thing. It's almost like it was done on purpose, I could see if it was a small section but it's weird how many of them I see. If this is the case, it's not bad enough for me to spend $$$ on a new windshield. But it's sure annoying.

Oh well

theblob640
12-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Yup, I am also in SoCal and the vehicle I drive is 12 years old with the original windshield. They are all rock chips and they are also all over the entire windshield. I only see it when the sun is a little above eye level. During the afternoons, they are almost invisible.

builthatch
12-11-2014, 01:12 PM
road wash damage. terribly common.

when you get a new car or new windshield, apply a real glass coating that has impact resistance testing behind it. it will help prevent that.

Belphegor
12-11-2014, 02:47 PM
How many miles on your ride? It's most likely an accumulation of tiny chips after years of driving, like the others here have suggested. If this is a fairly new ride/ windshield, I honestly have no idea what these sparkles could be from. Maybe faulty glass?

Buck91
04-13-2015, 12:50 PM
road wash damage. terribly common.

when you get a new car or new windshield, apply a real glass coating that has impact resistance testing behind it. it will help prevent that.
Recommendations?

11Silverado
04-13-2015, 05:03 PM
I've noticed the same thing and it seems to be on all my windows. I have a feeling harsh winters with salt do not help. So it sounds like there is no way of really fixing this now that the damage has been done? Just coat the windows of a new vehicle and hope it helps?