PDA

View Full Version : Chrome

Vettecor
12-10-2014, 01:32 PM
About 2 months ago I bought a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LX with 59,000miles. The car is in EXCELLENT condition. Looks brand new !!

Since buying the car I take the car to the best car wash in my city. They do an excellent job.

I had the car washed yesterday and when I got home I noticed ALL these marks on the chrome horizontal moulding. Looks like burn marks.

Its not real chrome, just looks like chrome. Plastic I guess. I know the marks were NOT there before the car wash but its probably not their fault.

I tried Klasses AIO and Meguires Plastic Cleaner, no change.

I imagine the moulding has to be replaced from a Body Shop costing a couple of hundred dollars.

I'm really sick about this because I try and keep all my cars looking great. My neighbors call me Mr. Clean and kid me about having the cleanest cars in the neighborhood.

Is there anything I could try to remove these spots ?

Thanks

brondondolon
12-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Personally if you called me wanting a quote I wouldn't even know what to say. Your description is really vague. You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?

Jpatchley
12-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Do you happen to have pics?

KMdef9
12-10-2014, 01:59 PM
I know the marks were NOT there before the car wash but its probably not their fault.

If that's the case, then it is their fault. And if you don't want it to happen again, I wouldn't take it back.

Pics would help very much. Are you trying to correct this by hand or machine?

It's going to require testing on your end, unless someone here has personal experience with that model with that trim. If your AIO didn't work, try a polish in an inconspicuous spot. If that doesn't work, try a compound. Remember, use the least aggressive approach first.

builthatch
12-10-2014, 02:05 PM
pics def required

jamesboyy
12-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Sounds like the faux chrome coating had some bubbles in it before going for a wash, thus during the washing it peeled away in some places therefore your best bet would be to replace it, and or avoid burning through the rest of intact chrome coating/see if the car wash will pay for such damage, also you haven't considered washing/get to know that beast on a more personal level???

Vettecor
12-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Personally if you called me wanting a quote I wouldn't even know what to say. Your description is really vague. You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?

I just took a picture from my cellphone. The moulding looks black in the picture but it's chrome. The spots are on top of the chrome but you can't feel them. In other words they are not raised up.

Vettecor
12-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Lousy picture. I will be going home tomorrow and will get better pictures.

brondondolon
12-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Yeah even with the pic its hard to tell whats going on. Since its on the top as you say try some wenols or even some clay.