PDA

View Full Version : Quick picture of headlight switch - Gross

Pages : [1] 2

Tanner Krabill
12-07-2014, 11:59 PM
Anyone get into a car to detail the interior & it look like this? By far the worst car i have done.

I'm shocked people let their cars get so dirty! This was a mom purchasing a detail for her sons car lol. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Feel free to share some of your nasty before/after shots!

allenk4
12-08-2014, 12:57 AM
Awesome work

Love interior close-ups with good Before & After shots

oldmodman
12-09-2014, 02:11 AM
Just goes to show you that some people do NOT flick their boogers out the window.

They find some unobtrusive place to store them. :idea:

lyodbraun
12-09-2014, 03:44 AM
That's some nasty crap ... Nice work getting it cleaned..

HUMP DIESEL
12-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Yes. Make up builds on these areas leaving a mess, but when you clean them, they look so much nicer.

HUMP

Solomonn
12-09-2014, 08:56 AM
How was it done? Ps. New to detailing. Fantastic change!

Guyb
12-09-2014, 10:16 AM
That is some nasty crude, great job on the clean up.

ShaunD
12-09-2014, 10:35 AM
I just detailed a 2003 Acura that was worse than that(not one up'n). The vent adjacent to the steering wheel and controls was just as bad. I used steam from about a foot away so not to damage/bleach the plastic and white lettering on the controls. A little OPT Power Clean on a damp MF and it all pretty much just wiped off. I really hate messing with the lettering on controls when they are this bad; always seems to want to remove some of the white lettering. And the Acura had that weird rubber coating that actually had the lettering printed on it, and of course the coating was wearing off from 11 plus years of being touched with makeup hands. I decided that I'm increasing my prices for makeup removal.:) Nice job BTW.

DaHen
12-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Looks like a hammer and chisel was needed, lol.

Im the MAN

KMdef9
12-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Good work/shot!

Steering wheels and shift levers get that bad too.

I think most people don't realize it's build up, from them! One friend's I did thought the paint had worn off the wiper switch, when it was just filthy.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-09-2014, 06:26 PM
I did a Lexus SUV awhile back....hairspray was gunked and hardened on headliner, sunroof, & A pillar. Steering wheels & controls were full of makeup. At least she smelled good though...

GeraldRooney
12-09-2014, 07:51 PM
I come across this all the time. Just build up of dirt, skin, oils, makeup and all sorts of stuff. I find it on controls and all over the steering wheel. Steam and/or 1z deep plastic cleaner tear right through it.

WAXOFF
12-09-2014, 08:03 PM
This is why i like my Tornador Black.

Tato
12-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Definitively gross, nice work indeed.

Not exactly that gross, but this 1/3 test spot picture I got today during leather cleaning shows well exactly when build up has passed the acceptable level...

To note, this was a single shot with CG extreme leather Cleaner at 1:7 dilution, brushed gently and wiped.

Romans5.8
12-10-2014, 01:58 AM
Good work/shot!

Steering wheels and shift levers get that bad too.

I think most people don't realize it's build up, from them! One friend's I did thought the paint had worn off the wiper switch, when it was just filthy.

So I had a steering wheel on a car that kept getting black, brown and smudgy. I actually got a little self conscious about it thinking maybe I wasn't washing my hands enough or something. Scrubbing and scrubbing and it wasn't coming out. A little research revealed; a common occurence on that car as it got older was the oils in the plastic would actually start to surface as the plastic would break down. And, sure enough, within a couple of months the steering wheel was basically coming apart in little bitty chunks and like a fine powder; leaving my hands grimy. Stuck a steering wheel cover over it and eventually sold it. Now I've got a Focus with a factory leather-wrapped steering wheel.

I think people genuinely don't look at keeping their car clean as a priority. It's a tool, a utility. A contractor doesn't wash his hammer, why should I wash my car? My in-laws are mostly very clean people, their houses are always clean, they are always clean and well dressed, their kids are always clean (unless they come to my house. I send them home good and dirty and wound up.) But their cars are always awful! They don't wash them; as in almost ever. Maybe an automatic car wash a couple times a year. Since most of them park outside (they use their garages for other things. Seriously. Not one of my wifes several siblings has their cars in their garage. Is it like a 'thing' with them? I dunno.), the paint is flaking and peeling on their cars after just a few years. I know one has a 2009 van that already has some serious clearcoat failure. It's not a reflection on them, they aren't "Dirty people" (I sometimes hear comments like 'I wonder what their houses look like', well I can tell you in this case, usually spotless!) But it's nothing for those cars to be covered in spills and spots from the kids, grime built up everywhere, dust and dirt, and just be filthy.

All of the nieces and nephews know my two rules about riding in my car. Buckle up (no exceptions), and no food or drink that isn't water (no exceptions). Even I don't eat in my car (Bottled water is it).