PDA

View Full Version : Help

Pages : [1] 2

Br967
08-18-2007, 09:43 AM
I recently bought a new white Jeep Compass and the car is about 2 months old. I travel on the interstate for the majority of the week and due to this I get a lot of bugs built up on my bumper and grill. When I wash the car the bugs come right off because I use Turtle Wax's Tar/Bug remover with a bug sponge. Yet, some places have small yellow/orange stains that will not come out. I have tried everything including; the bug/tar remover, wax, rubbing compound, goo-gone, etc... When I first noticed the problem I took it back to the dealer and they could only get the stains removed after using a wet sand. Is there anything I can do to prevent this staining or remove the stains myself? I do not want to go back to the dealer every weekend after I wash the car to get stains removed. I am also sure that ongoing wet sanding is not good either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

I have attached a picture so you can see exactly what I am talking about. The crap below the orange stain was wiped away after I took the picture. This stain is one of the ones removed by the dealer after I took the car back in.
Attached Thumbnails

Tonya
08-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Br967 I am no expert, hopefully someone with more experience will come to the rescue. My first two thought were have you tried clay or Amazing Roll off? Did you do a search on the forum? Go up to the read tool bar under search and type in bug guts or something see what you can find. Hoepfully someone will respond soon! Hang on someone will help soon.

I found a thread titled Baked on bugs do a search that sould help. Here is what Scottinflordia had to say.
I really like Poorboy's Bug Squash but recently I had a bug problem that it couldn't clean.

My niece came to visit us from collage a couple of weekends ago and I was amazed at the amount of lovebugs that had been mashed onto the front of her car. It turned out that some of the bugs were new but most had been on there for a couple of months.

Well, I went to work on it first using Bug Squash which got the new bugs off but not the hardened caked on stuff.

My second method was to use a petrochemical that removed a bit more but not all.

My third method was to lay a wet towel over the bugs overnight. This worked fairly well but there were still some baked on spots that nothing seemed to clean.

My forth and final method was to use a steam cleaner with some Bug Squash mixed in. That cleaned it 100%.

D
08-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Put some polish on the spot and rub it hard with your finger. Might take a couple applications, but itll come off.

Br967
08-18-2007, 10:40 AM
I haven't tried a clay bar yet. Could I get from from Advanced Auto or would it be better to order one online? As far as polish goes I have used mutliple kinds and rubbed until I couldn't rub anymore. I probably spent 15 minutes on one small spot and there was no difference.

D
08-18-2007, 10:42 AM
With your finger, or with an applicator. Theres a difference.

Br967
08-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Both

D
08-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Doubt clay is going to touch it then. Unless you get something really aggressive. Good luck.

Br967
08-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I was thinking the same as well. If the body shop could only get it removed with wet sanding I'm thinking that anything a novice could do is insufficient to remove the stains. I'm just curious why is my paint so vulnerable to this? I have been looking at the bumpers/grills of other white vehicles and haven't noticed any problems.

Tonya
08-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Dan what about a magic eraser? I used it on the dirty nasty boat with ARO and it was great at getting baked on worms and stuff off? I am not sure but I don't think it could hurt! Any thoughts?
Br967 don't try this until Dan replys!

D
08-18-2007, 11:39 AM
Not sure to be honest. Never used the magic eraser.

Tonya
08-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Oh sorry, it's made by Mr. Clean. It is a different type of house hold cleaning sponge. You can do a search on the internet for magic eraser by Mr. Clean. This will allow him to apply direct pressure where ever it is needed. The sponge is very flexible, gets in to tight spots great. It was great for getting dried off baked on stuff, off the boat. But I didn't really care about the paint on the boat. I just want to make sure it would not hurt his CC.

bambo2888
08-18-2007, 12:00 PM
in all honesty, youre going to have to buff, which is pretty much what they did by wetsanding. some of the bugs were not completely removed or some were neglected at some point and they etched themselves into the clearcoat. these etchings and stains can only be removed with buffing/wet sanding.

good luck! if you have any questions, feel free to ask or pm me!

D
08-18-2007, 12:03 PM
I had some bad stains on this Audi that was buffed with rotary, wool, and Menz. PG and that didnt remove them. But putting some polish on the spot and rubbing with my finger removed them.

Br967
08-18-2007, 12:20 PM
what kind of polish did you use. Maybe I am using the wrong stuff

D
08-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Menz. PB and 106FF.