PDA

View Full Version : Are the More Expensive Products Really Better?

Pages : [1] 2 3

tenblade2001
12-07-2014, 11:01 PM
I am relatively new to detailing. I started with CG products but several posters on different discussion threads have said CG products are not that good and I should switch to Wolfgang or Menzerna. There are so many lines i.e. Megs, Pinnacle, Blackfire, etc and opinions vary. Is the extra cost justified? I'd like to hear from people that have been detailing for a couple years and have tried various products vs. newbie enthusiast such as myself.
The car is a 2011 Alpine White M3 (hard paint from I am told).
I'm looking for best value (result/price) for the following:
(1) AIO
(2) Swirl/scratch remover (I was thinking Megs 105/205 vs. Menxerna/wolfgang vs. CG V34,36,38)
(3) Glaze- now I have CG, but looking at Prima Amigo
(4) Tire and Trim (using CG Hyper G6 and VRP). I like the very dark, shiny i.e. wet look. I've read mixed reviews on
(5) Quick Detail- Currently using CG V7, and love it. a bit on the pricey side.
(6) Liquid wax- Currently using CG butterwet wax. I've read good things about Colinite but open to others.
(7) paste wax- open to suggestions
(8) I have not used IronX but considering it.thoughts?

I really would appreciate input from experienced detailers.thanks

wdmaccord
12-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Like a lot of things, some of CG's products actually work very well for the price. I've had good luck with Leather Cleaner, Leather Conditioner, and Fabric Clean. I bought some Lightning Fast to try as well, but not til spring. Duragloss is another brand that is low priced but many products are top notch. I use the DG901, Rinseless wash w/ Aquawax, and Aquawax.

Some suggestions for your questions:
1) I would try Wolfgang Uber AIO
2) Can't go wrong with M105/M205 but maybe go with M101 instead of M105 (search threads here and you'll see why). Another good combo is Megs Ultimate Compound/Ultimate Polish. These are inexpensive and can be had at local big box stores, and great for a noob. I started out with these and they work very well and are user friendly.
6) Collinite 845 is a solid liquid sealant/wax. Very finicky so learn how to use it by searching on AG. Not the highest gloss, but very good protection and longevity.
7) Lots of good paste waxes out there. I really like Blackfire Midnight Sun, especially on dark paint.
8) Yes, use IronX

CarolinasFinestDetailing
12-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Most expensive is not always needed. Concentrate on technique over products.

Kamakaz1961
12-07-2014, 11:56 PM

:iagree:That being said Menzerna FG400 and SF4000 (I like SF4500) are a great combo. They are reasonably priced. As for Chemical Guys, I no longer use any of their products based on experience and the fact that many other brands are better. This IMO and some may disagree.

tenblade2001
12-08-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm open to other suggested products as well. Also, I'm using CG Mseal, so other sealant suggestions (Menz vs. WG vs Meg,etc).

allenk4
12-08-2014, 12:45 AM
The main difference I have seen with more expensive products is not that they produce a noticeably better outcome, but that they get there faster and with less work/hassles

You can achieve the same exact look with a Harbor Freight DA, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound & Ultimate Polish as you can with a Rupes and Menzerna polishes

It will take longer, but you will achieve the same end result

The other area you will notice a difference is the longevity of the results in some cases

An inexpensive wax can look as good as an expensive one. It wont last as long and may be less enjoyable to apply and buff off

This also applies to trim and tire protectant dressings as well

In all reality it is too late for you

You are on a Detailing website

Your addiction will not be cured, you can only hope to manage the symptoms

swanicyouth
12-08-2014, 01:23 AM
I am relatively new to detailing. I started with CG products but several posters on different discussion threads have said CG products are not that good and I should switch to Wolfgang or Menzerna. There are so many lines i.e. Megs, Pinnacle, Blackfire, etc and opinions vary. Is the extra cost justified? I'd like to hear from people that have been detailing for a couple years and have tried various products vs. newbie enthusiast such as myself.

(1) AIO

(2) Swirl/scratch remover (I was thinking Megs 105/205 vs. Menxerna/wolfgang vs. CG V34,36,38)

(3) Glaze- now I have CG, but looking at Prima Amigo

(4) Tire and Trim (using CG Hyper G6 and VRP). I like the very dark, shiny i.e. wet look. I've read mixed reviews on

(6) Liquid wax- Currently using CG butterwet wax. I've read good things about Colinite but open to others.

I really would appreciate input from experienced detailers.thanks

Maybe you can benefit from my garage full of products and experience with them. First; CGs: I use some of their cleaners & soaps - but that is it. The other stuff is just OK, the cleaners and soaps are pretty good and cheap in a gallon size.

1. AIO - Your don't need one if your polishing and working on your own car. You will get better results and a longer lasting LSP with just using a polish and an LSP. Save yr money there.

2. Polishes: Wolfgang or Menz. Trust me here. Easy to use and worth the money. Optimum lotion polishes are quite good as well and cheaper for a small bottle.

3. Glaze: Amigo is the best paint cleaner / glaze IMHO. But, for a white car - I'd just skip a glaze. However, if your just using something to clean the paint and change your LSP - Amigo is the way to go and stupid easy to use.

4. Tire and Trim: If you are using conventional products and trying to save money - just use up what you have. None of them provide super durability - except maybe a trim sealant or restorer. If your looking for a good all around tire and trim product - get Prima Infinity.

5. QD: You don't need one (assuming your trying to save money here as you mentioned) - just get a concentrated waterless wash like Pinnacle and its dirt cheap per bottle mixed. However, I like QDs, I don't see V7 as pricey either. But, I'd skip V7 because it hurts beading (although I like it in the summer) - get Duragloss Aquawax.

6./7. Wax: Skip liquid wax. Use a paste or a sealant. Liquid "wax" is a compromise. If I had to use a liquid - I'd just use a sealant. For not a lot of money you can get Menz PowerLock that is really great. Or, get a tin of Collinite 915. Both are cheaper and better than what CGs sells.

8. IronX is a necessity on a white car if it's never been done. Don't skimp here. Clay afterwards.

So, if your trying to save some money - there is a lot of products you can skip that won't affect your final result: glaze, AIO, liquid wax, etc...

HateSwirls
12-08-2014, 06:54 AM
I'm a fan of Chemical Guys but I buy other brands.
Buy something and stick with it if you love the results you get.

Two products I need to have at all times.

Wolfgang Glossy Paint Sealant and Wolfgang Trim Sealant.
Both are very good , IMO anyway.

HUMP DIESEL
12-08-2014, 08:00 AM

This quote here says more about it than anything. You can go to your local auto parts store and get really good at detailing cars with off the shelf items, working on technique and honing skills that will transfer to when you start looking into higher product lines.

HUMP

Mike Phillips
12-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Just to chime in...

Something I post in threads all the time is if whatever it is you're working on is important to you... then don't skimp on the abrasive technology.

Abrasive Technology = Compounds, Polishes and Cleaner/Waxes or AIO's

I posted the below to this thread last week....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wolfgang-car-care/87319-what-pad-finishing-glaze-3-0-a.html

This is something I type all the time... all my life I always see, read or hear other guys saying something like this,

Technique is Number #1

I say B.S.

Here's what I think....

Abrasive technology is number #1

You can have the best technique in the world but if the "stuff" actually touching the paint is junk then the best technique in the world still won't get you great or even good results.

So in order of their importance when it comes to buffing on paint and especially scratch-sensitive thin clearcoat paints....

1. Abrasive technology

2. & 3. Tool and Technique

4. Pads

And when you do any testing to prove anything to yourself always use black paint.

:)

FUNX650
12-08-2014, 08:54 AM
I am relatively new to detailing. I started with CG products but several posters on different discussion threads have said CG products are not that good...
• IMHO: Several negative postings doesn't "tell-the-tale"!

...Wolfgang or Menzerna. There are so many lines i.e. Megs, Pinnacle, Blackfire, etc and opinions vary.
^^^:iagree:^^^

Is the extra cost justified?
• What is the extra cost's price-range that you are talking about?
• $29.00 for 16oz. of CG's V34-36-38, for example, is not inexpensive, IMHO.

• "The Test Spot" should reveal the level-of-hardness.
• I'll ask: Have you performed this obligatory process?

(1) AIO
• Meguiar's has several really good ones.

• Can't go wrong with the swirl/scratch removers from Meguiar's, Menzerna, or Wolfgang.
Perhaps let your budget's comfort level be your guide.

(3) Glaze I now I have CG, but looking at Prima Amigo
• Either one is fine...But I like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze better.

(4) Tire and Trim (using CG Hyper G6 and VRP). I like the very dark, shiny i.e. wet look.
• I don't like that shiny wet look...Sorry: no recommendations.

• If you love CG V7...price should NOT be a factor.

• Meguiar's M26
• 3M Show Car Wax
• Collinite #845
• Optimum Car Wax

• Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Paste Wax is carnauba paste car wax with polymer additives for maximum longevity. Meguiars #26 High Tech Paste Car Wax is great (http://www.autogeek.net/meg26hitpasw.html)
• Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax, Meguiar's car wax, best car wax, Meguiars Ultimate Wax (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-paste-wax.html)
• Meguiars Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax, auto wax, Meguiar's gold class wax, clear coat safe wax (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-gold-class-paste-wax.html)

• 3M Perfect It Show Car Paste Wax, 3m 39526, creates an ultra high gloss finish, with long-lasting protection! (http://www.autogeek.net/3mpershowcar.html)

• S100 Carnauba Wax is a hand-poured blend of German waxes, proprietary ingredients and pure Brazilian Carnauba wax. motorcycle wax, bike wax, s100 (http://www.autogeek.net/s1capawax.html)

• Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax, high melt polymer car wax, Finish care auto wax (http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html)

• Mothers California Gold Synthetic Paste Wax, mothers paste wax, synthetic car wax (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-synthetic-paste-wax.html)
• Mothers FX Synwax Paste Wax, Mothers polymer car wax, Mothers waxes, auto wax, paste car wax (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-fx-synwax-paste-wax.html)
• Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Paste Wax 12 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/mo5550.html)

• Collinite Super DoubleCoat Auto Wax #476 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-super-doublecoat--wax-476.html)
• Collinite Marque D’Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax #915, car wax, paste auto wax (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-marque-wax-915.html)

•Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax will give you a deep, wet finish will exceed your expectations. car wax, carnauba paste wax, pinnacle (http://www.autogeek.net/pisisepawax.html)

•SON1C Wax Carnaubavore (http://www.autogeek.net/son1c-wax-carnaubavore.html)

• Definitely use a decontamination product/system at the onset of a complete detail.

Bob

Desertnate
12-08-2014, 08:56 AM
I am a firm believer in what Mike mentions above regarding the abrasives.

I found I was able to achieve amazing results with Blackfire polishes that may have not been possible with the Meg's UC/UP combo I'd used in the past. It doesn't mean the Meg's products are bad, because I find them to work really well on soft paint.

Here are the recommendations I can make:
2) If your just starting out, try UC/UP vs 105/205. They are similar, but I think a little more user friendly with better working time.
3) Prima Amigo is an amazing glaze. I like the fact it has a cleaning ability which makes it more flexible than many glazes. If you have a black car, Poorboys Black Hole is also a great option for a glaze.
5) My favorite QD is the plain-Jane Meguiar's QD spray in the maroon bottle. Cheap, effective, universally available, leaves a great finish.
6) Collinite 845. Easy to apply, easy to remove, looks amazing, and very durable. At this point, I can't imagine using any other product on my vehicles...unless it's 915 on my black car.

tpr1634
12-08-2014, 09:35 AM
I'll just say when it comes to waxes/sealants I have tried many chasing the shine for my money now Collinite 845 wins for value and performance without fancy packaging and labels. Under $20 for a bottle give it a shot you will have very little to lose.

Paul A.
12-08-2014, 09:45 AM
In all reality it is too late for you

You are on a Detailing website

Your addiction will not be cured, you can only hope to manage the symptoms

Hahaha! Yes, i agree but the therapy sessions i attend here at AGO have helped immensely.

And good points above. You will eventually find what you like to work with but you should settle on that after you've tried different products...some "value" products and some maybe not so "value" options. In my experience i have come to really like the Duragloss line for value. Relatively inexpensive stuff but most of it produces great results. And Meg's 105/205 twins still get a lot of my percentage of time for quick results. That said, i also love FG400 and SF4000/4500. Menzerna is certainly more pricey to use in quantity but the results and the process it takes to get them with Menzerna are wonderful.

The only way to truly decide what YOU like is by trial and error on what YOU are working on. Unfortunately it is such a unique match of products, process, paint conditions, weather etc that make evryone in this business unique. I have settled on what i like after trying darn near everything. Although while thats the fun part it does get costly. However i look at it as the cost of research in filtering through a bunch of product lines and finding what i like to use.

All good advice and info up to this point and i always place just a bit more emphasis on what Mike Phillips suggests.

And i was going to refrain from suggesting what i like because you have already received a bunch of great product suggestions already but because you are specifically working on BMW paint and i've had 2, i am absolutely happy with Menzerna polishes on that paint. My other favorites?

Wash - DuraGloss 901
DEFINATELY IRON X - so easy to use and very effective at what it does.
AIO - i will order the Menz AIO soon but like DG501 very much.
I also LOVE my Nanoskin mitt for claying.
My LSP of choice is now BlackFire Wet Diamond however twice a year i top it with Collinite 845. I could use Coll 845 alone and be happy but i like the longer term sealant underneath.
QD - Pinnacle Crystal Mist!

silverfox
12-08-2014, 09:47 AM
It's all about technique. If I borrowed Tiger Wood's clubs, and he took my Walmart specials...I'm willing to bet that I would come out on the short end of the ledger.

You can NEVER go wrong with anything Duragloss or Meguiars (especially their detailer series). Another budget friendly product line is 3D/HD. There are others as well.