PDA

View Full Version : Flood method for drying a vehicle. WOW!

campngolf
12-06-2014, 05:54 PM
So today I used the flood method for drying for the first time. It took my brain a while to wrap itself around the concept that adding MORE water would mean LESS water on the surface. But it didn't take long to realize how amazing this method does at sheeting water and speeding up the drying process.

In the past, I've used 2 large ww towels to dry my car and I have to wring out water several times. But with the flooding method the first towel was only slightly damp after completely drying the car. A quick once-over with my cordless leaf blower and shazam..dry car.

Lesson learned? Don't be afraid to try something new even if it seems like a totally whacked out idea. And to think of all the hours I've spent towel drying my cars over the last 40 years.

One question though. What do any of you use to cover the hose end to prevent scratching the paint? I've got a quick connect on the end of my hose and was terrified I'd whack the surface with the end. I thought about some type of hose or tubing but am looking for ideas.

PA DETAILER
12-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Great is it not? As long as you have a good LSP or coating on, works every time.

ski2
12-06-2014, 07:10 PM
campngolf-- I have about an eight inch piece of old hose (cut off so the female coupling is on one end) attached to the end of my hose so that I don't have to worry too much if I touch the paint when flooding.

PA DETAILER
12-06-2014, 07:20 PM
^^ This.

MarkD51
12-06-2014, 07:30 PM
I do it once every now and then, not all the time though, and not commonly this time of year. In the heat of summer, my carport dries quickly but not now.

Yep, it sure saves a lot of wear and tear on the old hands, trying to wring towels out.

Downside, you use more water, and in my situation, the doofuses that poured the concrete slab under my carport did a horrid job, not any slight incline for water runoff, it looks like the moon's surface, and the alley next to it is nothing but gravel, and dirt down here in this "one horse southwest" which quickly turns to mud pit if I go too overboard with the water.

How I wish had bought one of those towel wringers years ago, when they weren't so quite expensive. Insert towel, crank, and you're good!

campngolf
12-06-2014, 08:16 PM
campngolf-- I have about an eight inch piece of old hose (cut off so the female coupling is on one end) attached to the end of my hose so that I don't have to worry too much if I touch the paint when flooding.

Bingo. We have a winner. I love simple solutions. I was way over-thinking some type of gizmo. Thanks.

VISITOR
12-06-2014, 08:19 PM
you can also use a firehose nozzle and turn it all the way to the bloom pattern and flood rinse as well...

jarred767
12-06-2014, 08:33 PM
It is a great method especially if you have a fresh LSP. If your working on a car that doesn't then it's notbas advantageous, but for your own cars that are kept up well, it's awesome!

Bunky
12-07-2014, 07:09 AM
If you just use a spray wax regularly the investment pays off in looks as well as easy drying.

KBsToy
12-08-2014, 06:18 AM
If you just use a spray wax regularly the investment pays off in looks as well as easy drying.

:iagree:

HateSwirls
12-08-2014, 06:31 AM
Works well using this method :dblthumb2:
On black car I spray a little detail spray did flood it with water, helps even more.
Then I must a little DS and begin drying the car, no streaks, ever:dblthumb2: