PDA

View Full Version : Any really good new car prep tips?

Bill1234
12-06-2014, 01:24 PM
My family is trading in an older sedan on a 2.0l ford escape. The only thing is it needs to be built and would get to the dealer in a month....yea I know, really bad time to detail it. Is there anything else I could do or should know other than mikes' article as it would be the winter.

Klasse Act
12-06-2014, 01:59 PM
I would ALWAYS wash and clay/prep towel as soon as I got home, then inspect the paint and correct as needed. Then its time for the LSP, get after it ASAP:xyxthumbs:

Bill1234
12-06-2014, 02:08 PM
I would ALWAYS wash and clay/prep towel as soon as I got home, then inspect the paint and correct as needed. Then its time for the LSP, get after it ASAP:xyxthumbs:

I am going to do a clay, but the wash is my problem currently. It would be here the middle of January which makes it extremely cold and hard to do a wash. I do have ONR if that works.

EVOlved
12-06-2014, 02:13 PM
ONR with warm water will do the trick.

Audios S6
12-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Getting rid of a 2.7 biturbo for a 2.0 single turbo? Me thinks way less maintenance in your future.

Couple things to consider for winter and in general:

1. Did you already tell the dealer not to touch your car? I assume so since you are no newb.

2. scope out the nearest touchless or DIY wash

3. find an insulated and heated enclosure to do your work

4. A heat gun, floss/fishing line and body prep solvent will be helpful in removing the dealership decal and any residue from the transit wrap, you'll likely find the residue on the wheels as well.

5. if you ordered tuxedo black, call back right now and change it to white or silver :D

I have done new car prep with an ONR wash, but did take it for the most basic touchless first.

Bill1234
12-06-2014, 02:14 PM
ONR with warm water will do the trick.

So do I just dip my mitt in, wipe the pannel and then wipe dry?

EVOlved
12-06-2014, 02:15 PM
So do I just dip my mitt in, wipe the pannel and then wipe dry?

That would work or you could use the GDM. If using the mitt I would still use a rinse bucket but that is just me in my paranoid state.

campngolf
12-06-2014, 02:15 PM
It might be worth telling the dealer you do not want them to do any exterior "dealer prep" on your new car. It usually just creates more work on your end.

Bill1234
12-06-2014, 02:25 PM
It might be worth telling the dealer you do not want them to do any exterior "dealer prep" on your new car. It usually just creates more work on your end.

Funny story. I do like cleaning a car, I personally find it theraputic. I told a family member and they said I do not want a dirty new car. I told them I would do it as soon as it came in. They said they would tell the dealer.

Bill1234
12-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Getting rid of a 2.7 biturbo for a 2.0 single turbo? Me thinks way less maintenance in your future.

Couple things to consider for winter and in general:

1. Did you already tell the dealer not to touch your car? I assume so since you are no newb.

2. scope out the nearest touchless or DIY wash

3. find an insulated and heated enclosure to do your work

4. A heat gun, floss/fishing line and body prep solvent will be helpful in removing the dealership decal and any residue from the transit wrap, you'll likely find the residue on the wheels as well.

5. if you ordered tuxedo black, call back right now and change it to white or silver :D

I have done new car prep with an ONR wash, but did take it for the most basic touchless first.

I already have a black car. 3.0l audi from 2004. I find it very easy to maintain, however I know it might be hard for some.

Audios S6
12-06-2014, 02:47 PM
I already have a black car. 3.0l audi from 2004. I find it very easy to maintain, however I know it might be hard for some.

Well the 3.0 is less maintenance than the 2.7T. It can be more reliable too......as long as you have 6 spare coil packs and a 10mm socket in the trunk. I joke because I love.

Bill1234
12-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Well the 3.0 is less maintenance than the 2.7T. It can be more reliable too......as long as you have 6 spare coil packs and a 10mm socket in the trunk. I joke because I love.

Point taken, however, the stuff that this car has is extremely expensive to replace and reliability has been okay.

Audios S6
12-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Point taken, however, the stuff that this car has is extremely expensive to replace and reliability has been okay.

Believe me, I've found that out the hard way more than once. This past weekend was supposed to just be replacing the valve cover gaskets and cam tensioner seals. But found that one of the cam chain tensioners was shot....$800 for one part and 4 hours of my own labor and now that's taken care of.

Back on topic:

Only other thing I can think of would be lots of extra towels for the ONR wash and working one small panel at a time; lower panels will be extra dirty even from a short drive. Also let the car warm up a bit in the garage before jumping into the ONR wash. Pull it in, then start prepping your station for work and just before starting fill up your bucket with hot water and ONR.

Bill1234
12-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Believe me, I've found that out the hard way more than once. This past weekend was supposed to just be replacing the valve cover gaskets and cam tensioner seals. But found that one of the cam chain tensioners was shot....$800 for one part and 4 hours of my own labor and now that's taken care of.

Back on topic:

Only other thing I can think of would be lots of extra towels for the ONR wash and working one small panel at a time; lower panels will be extra dirty even from a short drive. Also let the car warm up a bit in the garage before jumping into the ONR wash. Pull it in, then start prepping your station for work and just before starting fill up your bucket with hot water and ONR.

Yup, had a light to be replaced, labor and parts added up to 1000 dollars, windshield was around 500, and there was alot more that was very expensive.