PDA

View Full Version : RO System

crumbgrabber
12-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Fortunately, my shop is in a town with really good and soft water, but I asked the RO guy to come give me a bid on Monday to see if it's even possible. Are these setups a must have for most detail shops out there? I know it'd be good for our mobile wash van tank, but it won't be out until next spring. Thanks!

allenk4
12-06-2014, 01:16 AM
When you factor in the cost of electricity and the water that is wasted during the process; is RO more economical that a DI system

I would think the upfront costs are much higher for RO

sulla
12-06-2014, 03:43 AM
Water usage is better off with DI..you get everything that went in the filters. RO wastes 90% water going in if you are billed and going traditional wash i dont see how you cope with the water costs. You may need to install reservoir for the waste water as well to reflow water back to the RO. Even automated car wash with DI system has reservoir and reflow the suds water back to the DI but that has more to do with enviromental regulations rather than costs. I must say maintaining RO is less hassle though...DI requires weekly regeneration with dangerous chemicals.

Setec Astronomy
12-06-2014, 08:55 AM
I have never heard of an industrial application utilizing RO. RO has a small volume output and is typically used for home drinking water, or for saltwater purification, etc.

For purposes such as yours, a deionization solution would be a lot more appropriate. Contrary to what sulla suggests about the regeneration, your provider will regenerate the resin at their facility.

They will provide you with multiple resin tanks (depending on your usage) and a water quality light (depending on your requirements) and when one tank is exhausted you will switch to your backup and call them to replace the exhausted one.

allenk4
12-06-2014, 11:56 AM
The Culligan DI system is what I see the guys using who spray down the car dealer lots

crumbgrabber
12-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks! I'll check with my guy tomorrow about options. I've got a lot to learn.