PDA

View Full Version : Glass polish

Pages : [1] 2

Grifffx4
12-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Is there a real difference in glass polish and paint polish/compound?

I know glass is harder so glass polish may be more aggressive but would that's make it like a paint compound?

Could I use a polish or compound I have already with a glass polish pad?

allenk4
12-05-2014, 06:50 PM
What is you trying to accomplish with your glass?

Grifffx4
12-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Level out the windshield and apply sealant. Larry Kosilla's method in this video http://youtu.be/q4WwOrkgXlc

Grifffx4
12-05-2014, 07:06 PM
I have some Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer but not sure it's a polish per se

Firehouse Mike
12-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Griots Glass Polish and Fine Glass Polish. With the glass pads on a DA, makes short work of waterspots and such. Leaves the surface ready for your sealant of choice....(I'm a Gtechniq kinda guy myself :xyxthumbs:)

expdetailing
12-05-2014, 11:27 PM
I believe there are two types of glass polishes: 1. Those than can correct minor etchings in the glass, and 2. Those that polish the bonded contaminants off the glass.
Cyrium oxyde is usually the main ingrediant need to level glass. I'm not sure if the industry is using anything other than cerium oxyde. Cerium oxide is sold here at AG by CarPro. It's called CerPro or something like that.
What defect are you trying to get rid off? Wiper etchings

Setec Astronomy
12-06-2014, 12:16 AM
Is there a real difference in glass polish and paint polish/compound?

Yes.

Because glass is so much harder than paint, removing defects requires a very hard abrasive (as noted earlier, cerium oxide).

However, as also noted earlier, you can certainly use a paint polish on your windshield to remove film and contaminants and smooth it out, you're not going to remove any scratches, wiper trails, or pits (which is hard even with glass polish and a rotary).

There is a sanding disc method promoted by one of the glass polishing sites, which I would love to try, but I already have so much invested in glass polish, pads, etc. that will probably never get around to buying the sanding discs and backing plates.

allenk4
12-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Level out the windshield and apply sealant. Larry Kosilla's method in this video http://youtu.be/q4WwOrkgXlc

When you say "level out", are you taking about removing scratches on the glass or just getting it Super Clean as prep for coating?

Grifffx4
12-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I have one car with wiper etching, and two that I just need to get super clean.

I'll pick up the CarPro polish. I was checking it out already

spiralout462
12-06-2014, 01:36 PM

Let us know how you make out with it. It seems like some people have better results than others.

Guessless
12-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I have one car with wiper etching, and two that I just need to get super clean.

A-Hopefully you'll be using a powerfull DA or a Rotary?
If so pick up their Rayan pads @ the same time, they match each other and will tackle nearly all scratches, save the deepest deepest ones, like the ones you get your foot stuck in. :)
(Oh & stick with the carpro pads, others have reported dissatisfaction with a couple other brands many times.)

B-If by any chance were thinking of doing it by hand?
You could perhaps remove lighter scratches, but Save yourself many hours of elbow grease and a possible half A.. Outcome and go with the solution for A.

For glass that's not scratched etc. clay then use a reputable glass polish and if sealing use an Eraser type cleaner, that should be sufficient.

Grifffx4
12-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Yeah I'll be using the Griots DA and Griots glass pads.

Rod73
12-13-2014, 08:13 PM
I have been debating myself whether to use the glass pads or my foam pads. I am curious of anyone's opinion? I am looking right now into starting with Menzerna SF4500 w/white foam pad porter cable and or euro foam pad; going to see where that takes me before I invest in the pinnacle glass polish and glass pads.

I am dealing with water spots, not scratches with relatively new blemishes on my windshield.

Rod73
12-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the upload watching the this clip tonight. Big fan of AMMO videos

SameGuy
12-13-2014, 08:55 PM
If you're using CarPro CeriGlass I strongly suggest you use the matching CarPro Rayon pads with your DA.

Use swanicyouth's guide for polishing. Be prepared to make a mess, and sweat for at least 40 minutes or more on a normal-sized windshield.