PDA

View Full Version : Coating and Clear Bra, PPF

Pages : [1] 2

Zileas
12-04-2014, 11:34 AM
When using a clear bra (PPF, Paint Protection Film), is it best to do the coating first, then the PPF over the coating? Or put the PPF on the bare paint?

There seem to be opinions on both sides. I've heard experts, installers recommend it either way, which is why I'm a little confused.

Mainly, I'm thinking of Opti-Coat, Gloss Coat, CQ and Xpel & Suntek.

Thanks for any input!

FUNX650
12-04-2014, 12:39 PM
From XPel's FAQs:

Can/should Opticoat or cQuartz be applied to the car before the film is installed?

"We do NOT recommend applying sealants such as Opticoat or cQuartz to the parts of the car that will be covered with film. The low surface energy of paint sealant products such as these will cause adhesion problems both during installation and over the life of the product. In addition, it is worth noting that there is really no benefit to applying sealant to the paint before the film anyway, since the film will provide far more environmental protection to the paint than a sealant ever could."

Hope this helps.

Bob

HUMP DIESEL
12-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Im glad someone has asked this. I have been wondering myself about this very topic. I have a buddy of mine who does PPF and Xpel has told him not put anything over the top.

He also stated that the films actually move, so wouldn't putting a hard coating over them negate that aspect? Also, what happens if you take the film off? Does the coating crack?

HUMP

Zileas
12-04-2014, 01:38 PM
From XPel's FAQs:

Can/should Opticoat or cQuartz be applied to the car before the film is installed?

"We do NOT recommend applying sealants such as Opticoat or cQuartz to the parts of the car that will be covered with film. The low surface energy of paint sealant products such as these will cause adhesion problems both during installation and over the life of the product. In addition, it is worth noting that there is really no benefit to applying sealant to the paint before the film anyway, since the film will provide far more environmental protection to the paint than a sealant ever could."
Hope this helps.

Bob

I've seen that, but I'm always a little wary of these recommendations. Sometimes, I think they're looking out for the best interest of their film (adhesions issues), not necessarily the best interest of your car, which is what most of us want. They are not one in the same. They don't want warranty issues, or a bad rap. Arguements on both sides have merit IMO. I understand Xpel, etc's point, and agree somewhat. But then I think to myself, maybe it won't wear as evenly or the same as the rest of the car, or that the extra layer of coating will protect the car when it comes time to remove the PPF. Interested to hear from end users' experiences either way.

As it stands, I'm leaning towards putting the PPF on the bare paint... my bro did that for his WRX, but he had other issues and needed to have the PPF redone on his bumper.

Zileas
12-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Im glad someone has asked this. I have been wondering myself about this very topic. I have a buddy of mine who does PPF and Xpel has told him not put anything over the top.

He also stated that the films actually move, so wouldn't putting a hard coating over them negate that aspect? Also, what happens if you take the film off? Does the coating crack?

HUMP

That's what's been a little confusing for me. I've had Xpel-authorized installers say to do it OVER the coating, and others say the opposite.

As far as the film 'moving', I wonder if that refers to the self-healing properties of the film. And my understanding is that Xpel and Suntek film already have a 'clear-coat' on them, which is why it's easier/possible to put things like Opti-coat and CQ on them and bond. I don't think the coating is hard enough to crack... but I have no clue.

FUNX650
12-04-2014, 02:05 PM
Big difference between an installer's recommendations and those of the PPF manufacturer.

I have never had any problems with my PPF.
But, then again:
I always follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Bob

Zileas
12-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Big difference between an installer's recommendations and those of the PPF manufacturer.

I have never had any problems with my PPF.
But, then again:
I always follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Bob

Agreed. I will probably just follow the manufac's recs.

They don't want warranty issues, or a bad rap.

I just caught this. What a terrible pun, LOL. :bash:

builthatch
12-04-2014, 02:58 PM
there will be people who have put film over coating and it worked fine. film guys will say they face issues at times applying film over coated cars. the manufacturer as Bob pointed out doesn't recommend it, using very valid points for their stance. the most important one to me is that there is no benefit for coating paint that will be underneath film. and having adhesion issues with film SUCKS.

re: putting it over the film...i can see why that would possibly at least have some benefit vs. putting it under (which seems to have none), but i still think that if you buy into the current film tech and its self-healing properties, i don't know if coating would do any good vs. harm. might just be a waste of time that could impede the technology from doing what it is supposed to do.

side note, somewhat off topic: i've recently been told from a very reliable source that light marring doesn't even show up under film. i guess it's sorta like when body shops scuff clear and then reshoot clear over it, it looks...clear again. same concept i guess. pretty cool.

Zileas
12-04-2014, 05:16 PM
side note, somewhat off topic: i've recently been told from a very reliable source that light marring doesn't even show up under film. i guess it's sorta like when body shops scuff clear and then reshoot clear over it, it looks...clear again. same concept i guess. pretty cool.

I'm gonna pretend I didn't read that, cuz I just bought all my stuff to correct the light marring so I can put the PPF over it.
:autowash:

builthatch
12-04-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm gonna pretend I didn't read that, cuz I just bought all my stuff to correct the light marring so I can put the PPF over it.
:autowash:

haha, it came up because i was saying how it appeared that the hood of uncorrected cars look so good with film applied by run of the mill places, as if the film masks the light stuff.

trust me, either way, just because film is going on, i'd never let a hood go uncorrected first on anything i own! you are not alone.

RaskyR1
12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
From XPel's FAQs:

Hope this helps.

Bob

You forgot the other part, Bob. ;)

From XPel's FAQs:

"Will Opticoat or cQuartz hurt the film?"

Sealants such as Opticoat and cQuartz will not hurt the film or interfere with our Ultimate paint protection film's self healing properties.

Eric Witt of Tru-Shine Detailing actually had a syringe of Opti-Coat Pro sent to the Xpel training center while he was there for training. They applied the coating on top of the film and tested the self healing properties multiple times. It aids in cleaning, helps with removal of bugs, and helps resist against staining from bugs and bird poo.

tdekany
12-04-2014, 06:05 PM
I put Opti Coat under the film on my new car, but only because I couldn't get an appointment right away. If you can, there is no reason to coat the paint. On top of the clear bra? YES!!!

builthatch
12-04-2014, 06:07 PM
You forgot the other part, Bob. ;)

Eric Witt of Tru-Shine Detailing actually had a syringe of Opti-Coat Pro sent to the Xpel training center while he was there for training. They applied the coating on top of the film and tested the self healing properties multiple times. It aids in cleaning, helps with removal of bugs, and helps resist against staining from bugs and bird poo.

there you go, good info.

RaskyR1
12-04-2014, 06:11 PM

Not the best pic, but yeah. New film over a swirled hood.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/Audi%20A7/2A9BF0F8-E103-40DE-806F-778B9374BC74.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Raskyr1/media/Audi%20A7/2A9BF0F8-E103-40DE-806F-778B9374BC74.jpg.html)

builthatch
12-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Not the best pic, but yeah. New film over a swirled hood.

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/Audi%20A7/2A9BF0F8-E103-40DE-806F-778B9374BC74.jpg[IMG] (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Raskyr1/media/Audi%20A7/2A9BF0F8-E103-40DE-806F-778B9374BC74.jpg.html)

no, that pic is awesome. very interesting. thanks for sharing that! have you ever seen a marred hood before vs. after with film? looking at that, it obviously doesn't mask them as i was told. but does it make them much less visible? i mean the obvious guess would be yes, but i don't know.

being new film, i can't imagine any of that is on top.