PDA

View Full Version : Question about sealant

chrisbothwell
08-17-2007, 09:01 PM
I just traded in the Z for a Titan. The Titan just got a dealer detail and the paint looks and feels new. Is it ok to put a sealant then carnuba on it without doing any prep (except a good wash, of course)? Also, is there any reason that I should not use the UDM to apply the sealant? I apply all of my waxes with the UDM.

Thanks.

Mike T
08-17-2007, 09:09 PM
It kinda depends on if the dealership apply a wax of some sort during their "detail". If so, then you might want to use a "chemical" polish to the remove anything they might have applied. Or you could do a 50/50 alcohol wipe down. Give the sealant time to cure, then apply your LSP wax.

The UDM would be fine for applying a sealant or wax. Remember lower speeds, complete coverage is the key.

Z06-Goose
08-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Just check the paint. Just because it's new doesn't mean it wouldn't have contaminants picked up during transport, like rail dust, and stuff like that. I would at least clay it, or test first if it needs claybarred. I agree that the dealer may have applied some wax as well

Gary Sword
08-17-2007, 09:19 PM
First of all I can't believe you traded your Z for a Titan but that's just me. Since you don't know what the dealer did it might be a good idea to do and light alcohol wash as Mike suggested of use a paint cleaner to make sure you the sealant can bond to the paint. I perfer to apply sealant by hand.