PDA

View Full Version : Warm Water While Mobile Detailing

Pages : [1] 2

jarred767
12-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Hey guys, so it's that time of year and morning are a little chilly around here. Having access to warm water is something that I've always wanted each winter and it's been a pain not having any access to it, or very limited access. I don't need a ton and it just needs to be hot enough to at least take the edge off when washing or cleaning interiors. I'm also moving my business to Bend, Oregon this spring and winters will be a little colder, so want to get a system down this winter that works.

So, I recently bought a 26 gallon tank to put in the back of my HHR (still working on all the plumbing and everything) so I don't need to heat up a ton of water (my plan will be HP rinse followed by rinseless), but I'd like to warm it up if possible.

I've read about aquarium heaters, in-line tankless heaters, bucket heaters, and a couple other options, but rarely when used by mobile detailers. I'm not sure what route is the best for me, so thought I'd see what other guys use in colder climates. I really only need a few gallons a day for the buckets for RW's and interior cleaning (HP rinse could be cold water if necessary).

Thanks in advance for any tips you guys have! :xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
12-03-2014, 10:24 AM
You definitely don't want to heat up that whole tank, that will take a ton of energy to do that and keep it warm, you either want an inline heater or an immersion heater--an inline is obviously going to be the cleanest, you just run the water through that on the way to your bucket--of course the heater has to warm up first.

Bear in mind that heating water takes a lot of power, you're looking at 1000-1500-2000 watts, be careful with your wiring etc.

Billand
12-03-2014, 10:29 AM
We have looked into this as well we found that tank heaters take a huge amount of power, most run off an inverter in your car causing a large drain on your vehicles electric system.

W just fill up with hot water before we leave for the day. I have found its a little to hot at the beginning of the day and a little cold at the end of the day but is solves our problem for now.

allenk4
12-03-2014, 11:04 AM
Is your water heater at home located in the garage?

jarred767
12-03-2014, 11:09 AM
You definitely don't want to heat up that whole tank, that will take a ton of energy to do that and keep it warm, you either want an inline heater or an immersion heater--an inline is obviously going to be the cleanest, you just run the water through that on the way to your bucket--of course the heater has to warm up first.

Bear in mind that heating water takes a lot of power, you're looking at 1000-1500-2000 watts, be careful with your wiring etc.

Good to know, yeah the inline seems to make good sense, I need to look more into these.

We have looked into this as well we found that tank heaters take a huge amount of power, most run off an inverter in your car causing a large drain on your vehicles electric system.

W just fill up with hot water before we leave for the day. I have found its a little to hot at the beginning of the day and a little cold at the end of the day but is solves our problem for now.
I'd love to just fill up at home, but don't have hot water outside, so that makes it a little more difficult or else I would at least do this for the time being.

Is your water heater at home located in the garage?

Water heater is in the house, and I'm just renting here (and moving in a few months) so doesn't make sense to run a new line into the heater if that was what you were going to suggest.

jarred767
12-03-2014, 12:25 PM
What about using a bucket heater like this http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precision-Premier-742G-Bucket/dp/B000BDB4UG to heat up a couple buckets once on the job site? Anyone gone this route? It would avoid adding something else inline (I'm limited on space) or having to heat up a full tank?

allenk4
12-03-2014, 12:47 PM

Water heater is in the house, and I'm just renting here (and moving in a few months) so doesn't make sense to run a new line into the heater if that was what you were going to suggest.

I have heard of people using the drain outlet on their water heater I. Conjunction with an inexpensive pump to fill portable tanks. Most of the drains are sized for a harden hose

Billand
12-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Good to know, yeah the inline seems to make good sense, I need to look more into these.

I'd love to just fill up at home, but don't have hot water outside, so that makes it a little more difficult or else I would at least do this for the time being.

We just use 2 buckets. I live in an apartment and my washing machine is located as you walk in from the garage and it has a hot water tap with a hose attached.

jarred767
12-03-2014, 07:54 PM
We just use 2 buckets. I live in an apartment and my washing machine is located as you walk in from the garage and it has a hot water tap with a hose attached.

Yeah, I do similar when working from home, but I'm in search of a good mobile solution. Any other ideas or ways you mobile guys have warm water on site in the colder months?

Detailing by M
12-05-2014, 08:57 PM
What about using a bucket heater like this Allied Precision The Premier Line 742G Bucket Water Heater - - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precision-Premier-742G-Bucket/dp/B000BDB4UG) to heat up a couple buckets once on the job site? Anyone gone this route? It would avoid adding something else inline (I'm limited on space) or having to heat up a full tank?

This is the one I use. It works great.
There is no need to heat up the whole tank.
This heater will heat your water to 190 in 15 mins!

jarred767
12-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Awesome! Thanks for responding, it looks pretty legit (although I doubt you need to heat too much water down there in LA:).

Can you use it in a standard plastic bucket? Or will it potentially melt one of those?

KMdef9
12-06-2014, 02:33 AM
Heats up water in 15min? Then it'll melt the plastic if it touches bucket.

jarred767
12-06-2014, 10:22 AM
That's what I kinda figured, and why i asked. The description on Amazon makes no mention of what it can be used in, but it does mention that it has a stainless steel guard, so maybe the heating element would never come in contact with the bucket?

Niblick
12-06-2014, 10:46 AM
i have a standard electric kettle. i fill it with water when i arrive, by the time I'm set up its boiled and i just add it to a three quarter filled bucket of cold water. its a lot simpler than messing about with bucket heaters and the like.

Detailing by M
12-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Heats up water in 15min? Then it'll melt the plastic if it touches bucket.

no it doesn't melt the bucket, don't comment on things you don't know about.