PDA

View Full Version : Detailings friends 63 Impala - need some help and suggestions

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
12-02-2014, 05:50 PM
He picked it up last week, it definitely needs some serious work but it's 40 years old so that's expected. He's going to get it repainted in about 6 months but wants to get it looking as good as he can for the time being. I don't have a DA, but even if I did it wouldn't make much sense to do correction on a car that's close to being repainted. Here was my battle plan idea, anyone who wants to chime in with what I should change feel free. Depending on when the Fed Ex guy shows up Friday I might start then, if not Saturday. He's also going to get all the trim re done, a lot of it is missing and what's there is really ratty. so at most I'll go over what's there with CG VRP Super Shine
I'll reorder, removal or add things depending on if I get any feedback here on what I'm probably screwing up on my own.

Vacuum inside + 303 Fabric Cleaner
1Z Cockpit Premium + 303 Aerospace protectant on dash.
Adam's Deep Wheel cleaner on Daytons and paint. Can't find a whole lot here, but apparently it works on paint similar to Iron X. Maybe not as good, but it's what I have atm.
Tuf Shine wheel cleaner & coating (white wall tires)
Spray down with Auto Finesse Citrus Power.
ONRWW, car is missing some rubber trim and has some rust here and there so I don't want to use a hose and a lot of water.
Nanoskin fine sponge + Glide
Menzerna Top Inspection
ONR a second time
Sonax PNS
either Meg's Ultimate Paste Wax or Dodo Orange Crush.

other products I have, CG Jetseal & CG Blacklight I'm pondering a glaze so some of the defects can be masked I don't have any polishes. I'm not against picking up some Menzerna Power Lock or something, but I don't think by hand it would be too effective over the 2 glazes I have. I also have CG V07, but I think PNS would be a better choice here. I like V07+BlackLight though :)

I did the baggie test on the paint, it's pretty rough, the medium Nanoskin sponge would be a lot better but all I have is the fine one - better than nothing. I only had a few minutes to inspect the car, there's nothing that jumps out at me. Some light scratches and small dings here and there is about it.

The only thing I don't have is polish for the chrome & maybe some glass polish. Will be picking those as soon as I finish researching what to get. I'm open to suggestions, thinking Ceriglass for the windows. But without a DA though I doubt I can make a noticeable enough improvement to make it worth while. The windows are in pretty decent shape overall.

He's a friend, but he's going to pay me here so I want to do the most I can with what I have. I've been detailing peoples cars for about 1.5 years now, but honestly 95% of my jobs are maintenance type washes. And this will be my 1st classic car. I know what a 40 year old car you have to take a lot of precautions and approach some things differently.

allenk4
12-02-2014, 11:02 PM
What is on the paint that makes you want to "Spray down with Auto Finesse Citrus Power"?

allenk4
12-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Unless you are trying to remove defects from the glass, Ceriglass is not necessary

If there is a film on the exterior glass that washing and window cleaner will not remove, try claying the glass. If the film persists, you can use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound by hand with a microfiber towel

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
12-02-2014, 11:07 PM
What is on the paint that makes you want to "Spray down with Auto Finesse Citrus Power"?

I see lots of tar, it tackles it better than anything I've used. I'm sure there are better products, but it's the one I have and it's fast and easy. Spray on and after a minute of dwelling the stuff comes off with a light spray of water.

OCD-tailing
12-02-2014, 11:10 PM
You might want to read this thread from Mike Phillips. I have used Megs #7 on a 76 Vette and it worked beautifully. Good luck.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

allenk4
12-03-2014, 12:45 AM
If it is the original carpet, it will help tremendously if you vigorously go over it with a stiff brush before vacuuming

Any carpet for that matter, but especially, older matted down stuff

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
12-03-2014, 01:11 AM
If it is the original carpet, it will help tremendously if you vigorously go over it with a stiff brush before vacuuming

Any carpet for that matter, but especially, older matted down stuff

brilliant, I would have never thought of this. Easy and not even I can mess it up? I like stuff like this :D