PDA

View Full Version : Using the Vktech CM8801FN

Rod73
12-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Hi everyone.. I recently went all in lol and purchased a paint thickness gauge; CM8801FN. I had a impossible time trying to get thing calibrated. I knew going in it wasn't one of the most laser accurate ones but the readings were all over the place.

My question is does anyone with experience with this tool have advice on calibration they can give me?
I am strongly considering returning the device this month that I purchased on Amazon. Then somehow hoping to miraculously save down the road for the DeFelsko PosiTest

allenk4
12-01-2014, 02:12 PM
What is it doing when you attempt to calibrate it?

Rod73
12-03-2014, 03:58 PM
What is it doing when you attempt to calibrate it?
When I press the plastic calibration pieces let's say the 49 micron one it will give me a off reading that's expected. I will adjust the number like the instructions call for to 49. Then press on the call calibration piece again. I will get another random number 39 70 93 73 etc. Whether I adjust it to 49 again or not I keep getting random numbers.

Setec Astronomy
12-03-2014, 04:03 PM
What kind of surface are you doing the calibration on?

Kappy
12-03-2014, 04:15 PM
When I press the plastic calibration pieces let's say the 49 micron one it will give me a off reading that's expected. I will adjust the number like the instructions call for to 49. Then press on the call calibration piece again. I will get another random number 39 70 93 73 etc. Whether I adjust it to 49 again or not I keep getting random numbers.

I had a similar problem with two of these gauges that I bought on eBay.

I couldn't get an accurate reading, even on the bare metal disks that are included, and every reading on the shims produced completely different results, none of which were even close. I tried different batteries and resetting the gauge but nothing helped. I watched a video that Nick posted on youtube and my gauge never worked the way his did. I even discussed this with him via PM, but I had already attempted to calibrate it the way he suggested, so there was no improvement.

I returned the gauge for a replacement and when I received the new gauge it turned out to be worse than the first one. It took several attempts to get any reading, and it would either show 3 dashes instead of numbers; numbers that didn't make sense, or, when "calibrated" instead of showing three zeroes, as it should, it showed two, with a space in the middle. It wouldn't show any three digit numbers, only the first and last. If it did give any reading at all, it wouldn't take another until it shut off. Holding the button to calibrate it had no affect, and then suddenly it would show dashes or two out three zeroes.

I returned the second gauge for a refund and at this point I'm still gaugeless.

Setec Astronomy
12-03-2014, 04:21 PM
You guys should try the Highline, it's not that much more than that eBay job, if I recall.

allenk4
12-03-2014, 05:03 PM
You guys should try the Highline, it's not that much more than that eBay job, if I recall.

Highline II is $299 vs. $150-$179 for the Vktech

Setec Astronomy
12-03-2014, 05:06 PM
When did it go up to $299? It used to be $225.

allenk4
12-03-2014, 05:25 PM
I think since the Highline II was introduced

There are only a couple of differences between the two models, if you can find the older version for less $

Setec Astronomy
12-03-2014, 05:33 PM
No, I think it's since Highline stopped having their own website, the link I have for their site now resolves to a different site, which sells multiple brands.

Rod73
12-04-2014, 07:42 PM
What kind of surface are you doing the calibration on?
I didn't really consider the surface as a potential problem hmmm...

Arm rest in my car and a wooden table

Setec Astronomy
12-04-2014, 09:04 PM
I didn't really consider the surface as a potential problem hmmm...

Arm rest in my car and a wooden table

They give you a metal calibration disc, right? You were on that with the cal shims between that and the probe? Just checking, but it seems others have had your problems so it's probably the unit and not you or your technique.