PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive steam cleaner/extractor?

Pages : [1] 2

Based
11-30-2014, 04:31 PM
I have a truck I want to sell in about 6 months and I want to get the coffee stains out of the carpet (and maybe clean the back seats, I need to check). The stains have been in there for a long time because they were there when I bought the vehicle 1.5 years ago.

I don't have the money to spend 500$ on an extractor. I'm googling trying to find either an extractor or a steamer for under 200$. Are there any out there worth buying? Thanks.

allenk4
11-30-2014, 05:11 PM
Try Folex 1st, before you buy any equipment

Brush the carpet vigorously

Vacuum thoroughly

Spray the spot with Folex

Dwell, one minute

Blot with white cotton towel

Spray with Folex

Agitate with stiff brush

Scrub with white cotton towel, changing to a clean side of the towel frequently

Vacuum

Post Before & After pictures on AGO Forum

Based
11-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Try Folex 1st, before you buy any equipment

Brush the carpet vigorously

Vacuum thoroughly

Spray the spot with Folex

Dwell, one minute

Blot with white cotton towel

Spray with Folex

Agitate with stiff brush

Scrub with white cotton towel, changing to a clean side of the towel frequently

Vacuum

Post Before & After pictures on AGO ForumAlready tried that a couple of times with several different cleaners. The cleaners I used work great on my house carpet but not really at all in my car. No matter how much I get on the paper towels, there's still just more and more in the stain. It's like there's a gallon of coffee in one little spot...

allenk4
11-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Paper towels do not have any nap and will be ineffective for this purpose

If you follow the steps exactly, you will see improved results

Based
11-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Paper towels do not have any nap and will be ineffective for this purpose

If you follow the steps exactly, you will see improved results
So by cotton towel you mean a towel I would use to dry dishes?

ScubaCougr
11-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Sounds like the coffee soaked through the carpet and may be wicking up from the padding. So many attempts may be needed.

Depending on where the stain is, might consider pulling up the carpet to get under the carpet to the pad for faster removal.

allenk4
11-30-2014, 06:00 PM
So by cotton towel you mean a towel I would use to dry dishes?

Dish towel, bath towel any white 100% cotton towel

I find that the cheap ones from.Bed Bath and Beyond work as well as any

Look for the ones that have looped ends as opposed to split ends. They seem lint less and scrub better

allenk4
11-30-2014, 06:10 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141130_15_01_14_Pro.jpg

These are the type of cotton towel I use

oldmodman
12-01-2014, 05:20 AM
Rent a Rug Doctor with the upholstery attachment from a local grocery store.

Use Folex and plenty of hot water in the Rug Doctor and extract and extract after the stain is gone. The suction on the Rug Doctor is fairly decent. Not as good as a dedicated high quality extractor but it only costs around 20 bucks to rent.

BillE
12-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Rent a Rug Doctor with the upholstery attachment from a local grocery store.

Use Folex and plenty of hot water in the Rug Doctor and extract and extract after the stain is gone. The suction on the Rug Doctor is fairly decent. Not as good as a dedicated high quality extractor but it only costs around 20 bucks to rent.

:iagree: (You beat me to it)

Bill

SameGuy
12-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Pressure wash all the door jambs and use a sopping wet wash mitt on the radio while you're at it. [I couldn't resist]

Seriously, pick up Folex at Lowes and a box of 40 white terry towels from Costco, something like $14. I'd rent a Rug Doctor only if I had to do carpets in the house at the same time, otherwise Folex and elbow grease are simpler for stains and more cost effective.

2old2change
12-01-2014, 09:37 AM
I have some dedicated spot remover from the local carpet cleaning supply store. When it doesn't do the trick on certain stains I have been known to reach for the Folex. Lately I had a Firebird show car with white and blue crushed velvet interior in for a pre-show correction and coating. The passenger seat had a large coffee stain. When I asked the owner what happened he said his wife is now banned from drinking coffee in the car. He replaced the carpet and got as much of the stain out of the seats as possible. Plans were to have it recovered. I drug out my Folex and after three attempts it was gone. I followed this with a foam cleaner on a wool pad and rotary ( Nathan Flannell method ) to brighten up the whole interior.

Based
12-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Ok well I went and got some folex and I used it on the stain. Folex works way better than the other cleaner I was using (tough stuff or good stuff or something like that). But still the stain just KEEPS ON COMING!!! I think it is indeed coming up from the carpet padding.

There are spots little and big everywhere on the carpet.

Would a steamer make it way easier or should I just keep scrubbing with the folex? I'm kind of on a budget. I'm trying to sell this truck and I need to get these stains out, detail the outside, and replace about 300$ in suspension parts (all labor by me). I don't want to spend too much and not get enough back.

SameGuy
12-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Soak the stain with hot diluted vinegar, blot with a hot, damp microfiber towel, then rinse with clean water. Blot dry. Then start again with Folex and clean MFs.

allenk4
12-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Nathan Flannell Method

Cloth Seat Cleaning - Rotary & Wool Method (http://www.autopia.org/forums/guide-to-detailing/176739-cloth-seat-cleaning-rotary-38-wool-method.html)

If anyone is using this method, a video would be great