PDA

View Full Version : A few general questions...

blackonblack04gto
08-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Ok, I'm new here, been lurking around a few weeks reading as much info as I can get.

Basically, I have 2 cars in my stable. A 1988 Corvette and a 2004 Pontiac GTO. The Corvette has been neglected for quite sometime and needs a lot (LOT) of TLC. I started working on the paint on that a few days ago.

I have a Porter Cable and also have some swirl cutter from a company that isn't available on AG. I worked on that clear for a good amount of time, and although the majority of the swirls were removed, there are still some showing up. Now, I have heard that the Corvette has some really hard clear, I was just wondering if there is anything else I can try. I used the LC CCS Orange pad with the swirl cutter and worked it in for a pretty good amount of time. This car is kept in the garage, so I'm not worried about it getting rained on or anything, so I've been doing a few sections a night. What should I follow up with after the Orange pad? This car also has some small areas of oxidation. From what I've read, I'll need a polish to take care of that. Any suggestions?

The GTO is an 04 and is black as well. It has some minor swirls, and I know I can get those out, the problem is, I want something to make the paint look amazing. Do I need a polish? The metal flake is awesome on this car and I want something to make it pop. I'm not inlcined to spend $80 on Souveran, so that's out of the question for now. I may change my tune on that later.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and any suggestions are welcome. I have changed my washing method, and am getting ready to make an order and grab me a guzzler so I don't have to worry about these swirls as much in the future.

AUdakota
08-17-2007, 01:56 PM
I would try some menzerna polishes and you should be able to get most if not all of the swirls out. As for a wax that makes flake pop I would recommend DP max wax. Natty's blue is also a good alternative to the souveran.

budman3
08-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Yes... some people like to say that 90% of the looks is from polishing. A nicely polished vehicle will look a lot better than an unpolished waxed vehicle. Menzerna would be a good polish or you can just stick with what you've got since you are used to them.

On that Corvette, do the remaining swirls look deep? The PC can only do so much with swirl removal and the swirls that are left may be too deep to safely remove. The hardness of clear changes from year to year and the current Vettes have rock hard clear. A polish or paint cleaner will take care of that oxidation.

As for a wax to make flakes pop... thats a tough one. You'll want something very clear to get the flakes to pop. Souveran and Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant make black vehicles glow and shine but don't do that much for flake. PB EX-P is very clear and top that with Natty's and that should get the flakes to pop. P21S / S100 (avail @ Harley shops) is also very clear which helps the look of the flakes. Another would be Meguiars #26...

Rey05
08-17-2007, 03:17 PM
You might want to also look into a nice glaze, like menz, to make the black pop as well.

blackonblack04gto
08-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

The swirls on the 'vette don't look too deep, it's like I removed a majority of the actual swirls, but there are still a few lines remaining, in the same swirl pattern. I don't know if that makes sense or not. Imagine the regular swirl marks, take away about 95% of the cuts in the clear and there is still that 5% remaining. And, they don't look any deeper than when I first started, but then again, I'm new to this detailing stuff, so I could be mistaken.

So a good polish will help with the oxidation? I have a teaser sample of some Polish/Sealant but am confused on how to work this in. Do I work this in like the swirl cutter? Or just apply it like a wax? I've been using the CCS blue pad and applying it and working it in until it's almost gone and then wiping the surface with a MF. Is this wrong?

I'm planning on making an order here real soon and I would like to try some products that are reasonably priced. I already want to try some Amazing Rolloff because I've heard some great things about it. I also have some PB Trim Restorer for the 'vette. Some Stoner's Tarminator. I was also thinking about adding a White polishing pad and a Grey Pad. Are these necessary?

Thanks for all of the help, it is really appreciated.