PDA

View Full Version : Question about installing hood deflector and adhesive cure times

Dave3
11-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

New here, my wife and I just bought a new Kia Soul, we'd like to install a hood deflector so we purchased a OEM one from the dealer. The problem is reading the instructions it says that it needs to be installed at 20C and then maintain a temp of at least 20C for 24 hours for the adhesive to cure properly, so basically unless you have a heated garage no one will be able to install one of these.

The way this one goes on is with 2 rectengular plastic "cradles" which stick to the top of your hood and then the deflectors clips into them, the manual says that the adhesive is 3M I believe.

A lot of people seem to be saying that they install these things in the middle of winter with no issues but I want to be sure, tomorrow it's supposed to hit about 10C and it's probably going to be the last semi-warm day before winter sets in so I was really hoping to do it.

Am I OK to do it? Is there a trick to make the adhesive cure faster?

Also, wwill these cradles and other film peices that I have to stick to the hood come off without damaging the paint should they need to be removed down the road?

Thank you guys very much for any help you can give.

KMdef9
11-30-2014, 01:57 AM
Use a heart gun or a lighter to warm the adhesive strips as much as you safely can. Then apply and hold for a few minutes. Should stick really good then. I think the 20C is so the adhesive isn't too cold itself. Maybe use a blow dryer to warm the surface of the vehicle too. Careful not to overheat it though.

FUNX650
11-30-2014, 08:27 AM
No doubt there are ways and means to have this 3M adhesive reach the recommended/optimum temperature range for application purposes.

However:
Personally I would not want the damage that the 3M adhesive's "bonding-mechanism" will wreak upon the underlying paint of my vehicle.

Instead:
I'd prefer to have paint protective film (PPF) applied to not only that particular section of the hood panel...but to the other vulnerable areas of the front clip as well.

Bob

MarkB
11-30-2014, 08:40 AM
We use the heat gun and lighter method at my job everyday with no problems.

FUNX650
11-30-2014, 08:49 AM
We use the heat gun and lighter method at my job everyday with no problems.
Does that also include using a heat gun and lighter method, for 3M adhesive removal from auto-paint, without having any problems?

Bob

Dave3
11-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,

We had contemplated the film but it was more expensive and we really like the way the hood deflector looks on the car, it really ties the front end together and gives it a little extra touch.

So will this stuff damage the paint? The whole point of us putting this on is to prevent stone chips and save the paint on the hood but if these strips will damage the paint then it renders it a bit pointless. You would think it would be designed to be removable without any damage to the paint.

MarkB
11-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Does that also include using a heat gun and lighter method, for 3M adhesive removal from auto-paint, without having any problems?

Bob

To remove 3m, we use a heat gun, Stoner 94213 Xenit Citrus Cleaner and Remover & a little elbow grease

KMdef9
11-30-2014, 12:24 PM
To remove 3m, we use a heat gun, Stoner 94213 Xenit Citrus Cleaner and Remover & a little elbow grease

Yup, like removing badges. Followed up with polish.

Dave3
11-30-2014, 06:57 PM
So is that a yes or a no to the adhesive cradles damaging the paint?

MarkB
11-30-2014, 07:06 PM
No damage