PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Porsche Cayenne Swirl HELL!

mrwatchdawg
11-29-2014, 04:03 PM
So guys I posted this http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/87161-new-car-prep-porsche-cayenne.html thinking my car would be a simple new car prep.

After washing it with Dawn, i see the real defects on this car and they are horrible. This car has 1000 miles on it, we bought it a month ago with 67 miles.

I wanted to clay, polish, wax, and seal it so it would be protected and paint wont be gone to hell but that already looks like it is.

I have tried the following things and it didnt do much.

Wolfgang total swirl remover on speed 5 GG buffer with white LC Pad and than the WG Finishing glaze on a black LC pad, not much of a different but still a little better.

Decided to pull the big guns out now and use the meguires 105 on a LC orange pad with speed 5 and than meguires 205 on a white pad on speed 4. (every single car I have done, this combo has worked) but it still barely made a difference on the swirls than what the WG combo did.

What do I do? Please help as this is pissing me off and I cant stand a car with swirls, especially brand new car.

here are some pictures. the top half of the rear door was polished to test (above the door handles)

The last 3 pictures show where the products were applied

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-30-2014, 02:24 AM
Really surprised to see what you have used has not knocked out the defects.

First, you mention using orange, white, etc LC pads but did not specify what size pads or lineup (flats, CCS) of pads. Could you clarify?

Also what towels are you using to wipe off the polish residue?

Lastly, black paint is a full time job. You don't own black, black owns you.

mrwatchdawg
11-30-2014, 12:01 PM
I am using the foam LC pads Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-edge-pads.html)

and these are the microfiber that i am using http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8MZ7IA/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1417366830&sr=1&keywords=chemical+guys+microfiber

dpk20x
11-30-2014, 01:15 PM
So one of two things is probably happening here. Either you need to get more aggressive with your pad selection to really knock out the deeper defects.

Or quite possibly your towels are causing some marring as you wipe off your compound and polish. Porsche paint tends to be on the softer side so I have a feeling this is the problem. But I could be wrong so I'll let the more experienced detailers chime in.

Chase.Detailing
11-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Mark a line on your backing plate so you know that your buffer is spinning freely. If it's not, you get virtually no correction ability.

The Guz
11-30-2014, 03:33 PM
So one of two things is probably happening here. Either you need to get more aggressive with your pad selection to really knock out the deeper defects.

Or quite possibly your towels are causing some marring as you wipe off your compound and polish. Porsche paint tends to be on the softer side so I have a feeling this is the problem. But I could be wrong so I'll let the more experienced detailers chime in.

Good point on the softer paint. If the paint is on the soft side maybe some M205 on a black finishing pad would be something to try.

94LT1
11-30-2014, 04:03 PM
As you have probably read 100 of times start with the least agressive polish and pad and work your way more aggressive as needed.most jet black paint tends to be on the softer side.also touch a panel with the back of your hand first to feel how warm it is.like others mentioned you might be putting swirls in with the towel.wipe the polish of in one direction.i found out on a black supra the panel was very warm and I was putting the swirls in when wiping with a towel.so what I did was let the panel cool down before I wiped and the marring stopped.