PDA

View Full Version : Wash & wax package ?s

Pages : [1] 2

98LowRanger
11-28-2014, 10:35 PM
So this past year was my first season detailing as a side job. I have a basic wash package for $30-$45 (hand wash, dry, tires dressed, door jambs wiped, windows cleaned inside and out) and a "Basic Detail" for $130-$150 (hand wash, paint decontamination, 1 stage machine polish with AIO, glass cleaned, door jambs wiped, quick vacuum, wipe down of interior, tires dressed). I think I am needing a package between these two as I have had a lot of people ask me for just a "wash and wax". I always tried to convince these people to at least let me do a one stage polish with an AIO because most of these cars really NEED more then just a wax. The problem is that my "Basic Detail" usually takes me 2 days to complete (having a full time job and my son full time makes it hard for me to devote a solid 8 hours into a vehicle) which turns a lot of people away because they are unable to be without their vehicle for more then a day. I have also found that people are pretty cheap and really want to keep it at $100 or under spent on their "detail".

So I got to thinking...why not give the people what THEY want? A wash and wax will be both easier and cheaper on me since I won't have to clay the vehicle or do any interior work. The biggest selling point for me as a part time detailer is I could actually be able to complete a wash and wax in 1 day. So the customer drops off their car in the morning and I am done by 6 PM for them to pick it up. I am thinking for my "wash and wax" package to include the following: Hand wash and dry, high quality wax applied, windows cleaned inside and out, tires dressed. Anything else like motor detail, trim restore, or interior work would be an add on cost. I haven't calculated exactly what I am going to charge for this, but I am thinking $80 for a small vehicle and $100 for a large vehicle.

Here are my questions for those that offer a package similar to this:

1) Do you think my price is fair for the amount of work I am including? Anything you guys think I should include in the package for that price range and time frame of 5-7 hours?

2) I need suggestions for a good wax. I would prefer something that I can quickly buff on the whole vehicle to let haze and then go back over wiping it off. I think this would be he quickest method rather then applying wax and wiping off panel by panel. I have DP Poli-Coat which I know is a sealant, but does it have any filling ability? I would think this would be a PERFECT candidate as you apply it to the whole vehicle or at least half until it hazes before wiping it off. It also provides great lasting protection. I realize it is a sealant though and not a wax, so that is why I ask about it's filling capabilities.

98LowRanger
11-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for a wax that is easily applied by machine and left to haze, provides great depth and filling power, and also providing good durability??

I'd love to get this in the next 30 minutes to take advantage of the 25% discount!

Daviddear30
11-28-2014, 11:37 PM
I use Collinite 845 and it's great. Not sure about filling.
It lasts a long time and is easy to apply and remove and it's cheap.
Win/win

98LowRanger
11-28-2014, 11:46 PM
I hear 845 can be tricky to apply? Is it an apply to half/whole vehicle and then wipe off the haze type product? Or do you apply and wipe off panel by panel?

98LowRanger
11-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Well, I didn't make it. Considering Pinnacle XMT 360 for it's ease of use and specifically geared towards machine application.

allenk4
11-29-2014, 12:02 AM
On the next Basic Detail, I would suggest timing each step of your process to see if there is something that is slowing you down. Include your set-up and breaking down time as well

7 hours is a long time for:

hand wash, paint decontamination, 1 stage machine polish with AIO, glass cleaned, door jambs wiped, quick vacuum, wipe down of interior, tires dressed

Some people seem to spend way too much time coating. I bought a Clay Towel and cut this time way down

What percentage correction are you trying to achieve with an AIO polishing step?

I'm sure you are doing great work, we just have to find a way to speed up the process

allenk4
11-29-2014, 12:05 AM
At those prices, you should probably be looking at a spray wax or something that can be applied very quickly by machine and does not stain trim

98LowRanger
11-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Good news! I was able to sneak an order in and still get the 25% discount and free shipping! :xyxthumbs: I realize that making a thread 30 minutes before the deadline looking for suggestions is a little unreasonable. I am still open to hear them though!

I decided to try Autofinesse Tripple All In One Polish (I know it's more of an AIO polish, but for $6 I had to try it out), Liquid Glass, and Pinnacle XMT 360. I ALMOST added Optimum Poli-Seal, but I resisted.

I hope to find a solid choice to use in my wash and wax package out of those 3.

allenk4
11-29-2014, 12:11 AM
What are your thoughts on posts #6 and #7 ?

98LowRanger
11-29-2014, 12:26 AM
On the next Basic Detail, I would suggest timing each step of your process to see if there is something that is slowing you down. Include your set-up and breaking down time as well

7 hours is a long time for:

hand wash, paint decontamination, 1 stage machine polish with AIO, glass cleaned, door jambs wiped, quick vacuum, wipe down of interior, tires dressed

Some people seem to spend way too much time coating. I bought a Clay Towel and cut this time way down

What percentage correction are you trying to achieve with an AIO polishing step?

I'm sure you are doing great work, we just have to find a way to speed up the process

Oh I am sure I am spending too long on my details and figured someone would point that out. You have to keep in mind that I don't do this for a living so I hopefully will be able to speed up my process as my technique and process are perfected.

Here is a breakdown of how long each step of my Basic Detail typically takes me:

1.5-2 hours - HAND WASH/DRY - I thoroughly clean the wheels/tires and wheel wells. Door jambs, trunk/hatch jamb and inside gas door are also washed. On very dirty vehicles I may take an extra step to apply a presoak foam bath.

1 hour - PAINT DECONTAMINATION - I apply Iron-X to vehicle exterior and rinse off thoroughly. I clay the whole vehicle after I am done drying it off (have had problems with water spots so that is why I don't clay while the vehicle is still wet).

.5-1 hour - Taping off for polishing.

4-5 hours - Machine buff (Flex 3401) with AIO Polish (Megs 151). I go very slow to try to achieve the maximum amount of correction that I can.

1 hour - Quick interior cleaning. Quick vacuum and interior dusting.

1 hour - Clean ALL glass inside and out. Apply tire dressing (usually 2 coats on each tire).

Average Total time: 9-11 hours

allenk4
11-29-2014, 01:43 AM
Let me start by saying that I am deliberately slow

I don't have another car waiting to be detailed as soon as finish the 1st one

Some of your steps are taking much longer than they could:

1.5-2 hours - HAND WASH/DRY - I thoroughly clean the wheels/tires and wheel wells. Door jambs, trunk/hatch jamb and inside gas door are also washed. On very dirty vehicles I may take an extra step to apply a presoak foam bath.

One hour maximum here

I posted a link to how Mike Phillips does a Production style wash in about 45 minutes

1 hour - PAINT DECONTAMINATION - I apply Iron-X to vehicle exterior and rinse off thoroughly. I clay the whole vehicle after I am done drying it off (have had problems with water spots so that is why I don't clay while the vehicle is still wet).

For the prices you are charging, you cannot afford to use Iron-X and maintain your profit margin

You should be washing these vehicles in the shade to reduce the chance of water spots. If you don't always have shade, buya 10'x10' pop-up tent

Purchase a clay alternative. I can clay an entire vehicle in 20 minutes

Baggie Test the vertical panels, sometimes they do not need to be clayed

The horizontal panels (roof, hood) dry fastest. Clay them 1st and dry each section right after you clay it

.5-1 hour - Taping off for polishing.

You may be over using the tape. I now only tale off pebble grained trim, convertible tops and little else

Since you are not using an aggressive compound, you really don't need to tape much

4-5 hours - Machine buff (Flex 3401) with AIO Polish (Megs 151). I go very slow to try to achieve the maximum amount of correction that I can.

5 hours on an AIO is not an effective use your time. AIO's are designed to work quickly and move on. Even the highest cut AIO's like D151 are really only designed to remove light swirls

1hour - Quick interior cleaning. Quick vacuum and interior dusting.

If your Customer is a woman, you may be better off allocating less time to paint correction and more to the interior

1 hour - Clean ALL glass inside and out. Apply tire dressing (usually 2 coats on each tire).

No way this should take more than 30 minutes

I find that the more towels I use on windows....the faster they go

For interior glass try the FastGlass towels

Find a tire product that does not require two coats

Average Total time: 9-11 hours

Here are some great tips from.Mike Phillips on "Production Detailing?:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/76337-high-quality-production-detailing-mike-phillips.html

allenk4
11-29-2014, 03:10 AM
If you are using 5 1/2" pads and you have a DA that will spin 6 1/2" pads...that can save some time as the 6 1/2" pads have 40% more surface area

GanenR32
11-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Another vote for 845!
476s has great filling capabilities where there the 845 is very thin with almost no filling. 845 is on and off very fast. The other upside to Collinite, especially the 476s, is the beading is extreme, almost unique in appearance to this brand, which will be visually appealing to the customer.
The last and biggest upside is, if you are frugal, you can stretch a can or bottle what seems like forever.

The downside is the longevity might be too long for production work. A bi-weekly wash & wax might turn into bi-monthly, or worse, longer.

I hear 845 can be tricky to apply? Is it an apply to half/whole vehicle and then wipe off the haze type product? Or do you apply and wipe off panel by panel?

Tricky? It is unbelievably easy.
Put a spray top on it and use it like a spray wax. Just use less. 1/2 to 1 spray per panel.

Daviddear30
11-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Never though of spraying 845 on.
If you spray on I assume you aren't using a machine to apply it??
I use a HF DA to spread it super thin

GanenR32
11-29-2014, 06:47 PM
This is going to sound crazy but my preferred way of applying 845 is with a folded buffing cloth.
Prime with one spray, one spray on the panel, and apply from there. This way I have 1 item in each hand and I can go around the vehicle in one motion with no stops or pauses.
Once it is dry enough, just unfold the buffing cloth and buff off.