PDA

View Full Version : Paint jobs?

Phimp27
11-28-2014, 10:22 PM
I was wondering how those cheap MACCO paint jobs are? I was thinking of getting my 99 explorer repainted.

Not looking for a full on custom paint job but just something to make it look a little better. It has a lot of RIDS and clear coat failure.

I always see them advertising paint jobs for like $299 or $399. Just wondering if anybody has had one of those paint jobs and were able to make it shine after?

Thanks for the input guys

TurboToys
11-29-2014, 01:03 AM
for 299 you get what you pay for. they will remove nothing. just tape around things like headlights, taillights, moldings and trim. that rough tape line could translate into peeling later also.

for the 299 you'll get a single stage paint. it'll likely be prepped as fast as possible to get in and out, no tack cloth between coats so you might end up with some little dots here and there in the paint..

you won't get the higher end paint that lays down nice and even, and cures without causing wrinkles or orangepeel.

expect a lot of orangepeel that needs to be wetsanded out to get a nice mirror finish that you might be expecting with a new paintjob.

basically a 299 maaco job will net you paint on a car. nothing more.

maaco CAN do good paint jobs, they have skilled painters, but when it comes to painting cars, you really do get what you pay for, as 90% of the cost is labor.

hoyt66
11-29-2014, 04:38 AM
I just had my sons Dodge Avenger painted there as they offer a cheap paint job. Like Turbo Toys said the money is in the prep and since this was a redo (car was in a previous accident and the

paint was peeling off) there was a lot of sanding to be done. They replaced the front boot (it was cracked-compliments of a parking block I'm sure) and repainted the car. Single stage paint and

didn't remove anything. . I clayed it and hit with some XMT 360. It actually came out pretty good. I mean, not as good as factory paint but for $700....My plan is to just keep a lot of paint

protection on it. Shouldn't be a problem :dblthumb2:

Phimp27
11-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Now I'm unsure about it. It's an older car but I might keep it for at least another year or two maybe three. I think I might just keep the paint as is instead of paying $1000 or more for new nasty paint

brondondolon
11-29-2014, 04:19 PM
My grandma got her Bronco II painted from earl schibe when they had the 199 paint job special. It turned out like utter crap. The tires had paint on them the glass had paint on it they painted over all the exterior rubber and it looked like they sprayed one HEAVY coat because it was running all over the place. For 300 Id just buy a bunch of rattle cans of paint and clear and do the job my self. It would probably turn out a hell of a lot better.