PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Sealant

muddy
08-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I pulled this from a thread I had jumped into not long ago, and hope it is ok to repost like this (I am not 100% aware of all posting rules)

Someone had asked above stripping wax and different methods to do so.

I want to do something similar to get rid of my multiple layers of SG and initial layer of AIO to do clay the Xterra again. I would imagine it would be easier to clay without having to go through all the layers of sealants, no?

I know some people mentioned using AIO to strip the LSP, but wouldn't that also be laying down a new layer of sealant when I would want to be as close as possible to nothing but the CC?
I am also interested in the alcohol method...but would you use rubbing alcohol or isopropyl and what percentage on the bottle's label?
How would you apply...just a few sprits per panel in a small sprayer and microfiber off right away or let sit?
Would you have to worry about trim...fading, drying out, etc.?
Would you then go straight to lube and clay, or need to wash first?Thanks! :D

Mike T
08-17-2007, 11:29 AM
here are some search results.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/8412-alcohol-wipe-down.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/1245-isopropyl-alcohol.html

67Customs
08-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Dawn wash and then wipe the body panels down with Alcohol.

muddy
08-17-2007, 12:32 PM
here are some search results.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/8412-alcohol-wipe-down.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/1245-isopropyl-alcohol.html
Thank you Mike T. These threads help answer most of the questions, but still a little I am unsure about:

Since I don't use any sort of polishes besides AIO, but want to be able to clay, would I be best to just do the alcohol wipedown, and then clay, then use AIO?
From what I was reading most people use the alcohol after polishing...but I am guessing they are not using a product like AIO that also contains an acrylic sealant. That seems to be the part confusing me a bit since AIO seems like such a strange product that cleans very well, yet at the same time adds an acrylic protectant.
I hope that makes sense. And again, thanks for the links.

budman3
08-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Klasse AIO is a paint cleaner. It is designed toclean the paint and technically isn't a sealant. It has some protective properties but those are quite small. IMO a paint cleaner or polish is best to remove a wax or sealant. Then if you really want to have a clean paint, you can clay and then do the alcohol wipedown.

Klasse designed the AIO / SG combo to be used together, AIO as the cleaner and to prep the paint for the SG, which is the sealant. SG would work without the AIO but there is a benefit of keeping the two together. Even though AIO has the sealant properties, doesn't mean you can't use it before another sealant. Your statements make sense but I'm having trouble with my wording ... hope something in here made sense :).

AUdakota
08-17-2007, 04:19 PM
I like the pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion as well.

muddy
08-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Klasse AIO is a paint cleaner. It is designed toclean the paint and technically isn't a sealant. It has some protective properties but those are quite small. IMO a paint cleaner or polish is best to remove a wax or sealant. Then if you really want to have a clean paint, you can clay and then do the alcohol wipedown.

Klasse designed the AIO / SG combo to be used together, AIO as the cleaner and to prep the paint for the SG, which is the sealant. SG would work without the AIO but there is a benefit of keeping the two together. Even though AIO has the sealant properties, doesn't mean you can't use it before another sealant. Your statements make sense but I'm having trouble with my wording ... hope something in here made sense :).
Yes, lots in there made sense :D. I think I just had misunderstood AIO's properties and thought it was the opposite...slight cleaning since it is non abrasive and only chemical, and more protecting, but you set me straight.

Since AIO and SG go hand in hand so well, would it be best to go through the steps like so:
1. AIO
2. Clay
3. Alcohol Wipedown
4. AIO
5. 2 Coats SG with 24 hour cure time between coats.

I am not sure if step 4 is necessary or not.

Thanks for the help and product suggestions guys :D

67Customs
08-17-2007, 05:38 PM
AIO before clay and alcohol would be a waste of time and product. You're thinking about this too hard.