PDA

View Full Version : Wax over a paint sealant??

Dre-srt-4
08-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Is there an advantage to putting a layer or 2 of wax or a sealant? :confused:

can this be done? or is it point less since the sealant will protect the paint?

Reason i ask is i am already thinking about winter and protecting the paint from the chicagoland salt :mad:

Mike T
08-17-2007, 08:23 AM
One advantage being added protection. Some really like the look of a specific wax/sealant combo. For example, I think the combo of Souveran & WGDGPS looks fantastic. Its all a matter of preference.

Infinite1
08-17-2007, 08:33 AM
dre,

yes, you can put wax over the sealant. If you're looking to use a wax for the winter time i've heard that collinite 845 is a great wax. Judging by your avatar, your car is black. This will make your paint nice and glossy during the winter months.

Sorry I can't speak yet regarding the advantages of putting a wax over a sealant just yet as I'm a newbie at this. From what I understand is that a Sealant is more durable than the natural caranuba wax. I hope the little bit I can contribute helps!

Ryan
Infinite1

trlblazer3
08-17-2007, 08:39 AM
If you're looking for a killer combo for both looks and protection in the winter months, go with some WG DGPS topped with either Collinite 845 or 476s. 845 is one of the best "winter waxes" on the market IMO.

Dre-srt-4
08-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Thank you for the information, i keep reading about collinite wax, I will have to give that a try.

Actually the hood is black carbon fiber and the rest of the car is electric blue.

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//9/3/3863//.large/detail_srt4_004.jpg

Al-53
08-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Using a wax over a sealant during the winter is a good system..the wax is used as a sacrifical barrier..also during the cold temps the wax layer is harder...it also helps reduce the salt migration ..but you need a durable wax..something like collinite or Megs 16 or Blitz to get the best of both worlds....

what I do is 2 coats of a sealant....a few days later a coat of wax...then a few days later another.....during the winter I mix 1 oz of Car wash in a 32 oz spray bottle rest water and a oz of ONR....go to the wand wash and before washing I spray the truck with the spray bottle solution....let it sit a minute..and then use the rinse water to rinse it..no soap from the wand wash..its to harsh...comes out clean....if nice I wipe it down and use AW on it it....sometimes I go at night with a bucket filled with soap and water and spray it with rinse water..wash it with a mitt and rinse..go at night..no one there...lol

Al

Tonya
08-17-2007, 09:17 PM
....sometimes I go at night with a bucket filled with soap and water and spray it with rinse water..wash it with a mitt and rinse..go at night..no one there...lol
Al
:iagree:
yep me too it's great in the winter! I have a place just about a mile away. I always feel sneeky when I do it. Don't forget the dish gloves to protect the hands in the winter! It's very attractive :p ;)

2turbos
08-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Using a wax over a sealant during the winter is a good system..the wax is used as a sacrifical barrier..also during the cold temps the wax layer is harder...it also helps reduce the salt migration ..but you need a durable wax..something like collinite or Megs 16 or Blitz to get the best of both worlds....

what I do is 2 coats of a sealant....a few days later a coat of wax...then a few days later another.....during the winter I mix 1 oz of Car wash in a 32 oz spray bottle rest water and a oz of ONR....go to the wand wash and before washing I spray the truck with the spray bottle solution....let it sit a minute..and then use the rinse water to rinse it..no soap from the wand wash..its to harsh...comes out clean....if nice I wipe it down and use AW on it it....sometimes I go at night with a bucket filled with soap and water and spray it with rinse water..wash it with a mitt and rinse..go at night..no one there...lol

Al

Thanks Al for another good tip!Im the MAN

Dre-srt-4
08-21-2007, 01:49 PM
How long after a sealant is put on the paint do you have to wait to put something like collonite 845 wax?

Mike T
08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Depending on the sealant. 12 to 24hrs.

ryandamartini
08-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Is there an advantage to putting a layer or 2 of wax or a sealant? :confused:

can this be done? or is it point less since the sealant will protect the paint?

Reason i ask is i am already thinking about winter and protecting the paint from the chicagoland salt :mad:

Souveran over DG105 is just so sexy. I love the mix of deph, shimmer and reflection. Its all in how you like your ride to look :)

Dre-srt-4
08-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Depending on the sealant. 12 to 24hrs.

Right now i am using Z5 but if i use the Z5 with ZFX i can speed it up and add the collonite 845 within a few hours. does this sound right?

Jimmie
08-22-2007, 09:38 AM

Al

Thanks Al. Definetly going with those coin wash tips and not waiting for winter. It sounds like a good way to get the car clean during these water restrictions.