PDA

View Full Version : Tips for using Cquartz DLUX on wheels?

SR99
11-27-2014, 12:47 PM
I did a search but didn't find much. I wanted to coat my wheels (at least the faces and spoke edges where brake dust accumulates, but maybe the internal surface of the rim too. That's hard to reach fully though), and wondered about the recommended process.

Is it better to apply the product with the included suede cloths or is a foam applicator better for wheels?

On black trim, it's easy to see when you have full coverage, but coverage is harder to tell on clearcoated silver wheels. Any tricks to insure full coverage? Maybe more than one coat?

The instructions seem to say you are supposed to buff the product off after about 5 minutes. Quite honestly I think it will take a lot longer than 5 minutes just to coat 1 wheel and all the spoke surfaces and nooks and crannies. How tightly do you need to adhere to that 5 minute buffing interval (if it's say 20 minutes, has the product become sticky and doesn't wipe off cleanly or something)

Thanks

Rsurfer
11-27-2014, 02:22 PM
First and foremost, get the wheel super clean. If you pull the wheel, you will get a better job.

FFguy808
11-27-2014, 04:41 PM
First and foremost, get the wheel super clean. If you pull the wheel, you will get a better job.

:iagree:

Although I didn't pull off the wheel, I recommend doing one wheel at a time with Dlux and apply thin, high spots are hard to buff off if left for more than 5 minutes on higher temperature areas. I recommend to buff off high spots ASAP.

11-27-2014, 07:02 PM
I just Dlux mine, buff off after a minute and use the suede strip to apply.

Charleston
03-23-2015, 03:39 PM
How does Dlux hold up compared to say OC or UK?

spiralout462
03-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Not as good from what I've heard. +1 for UK!

Sherif
03-23-2015, 04:33 PM
How does Dlux hold up compared to say OC or UK?

Dlux have been on my black 18" wheels for 4 months (4k miles), they still look like the day I coated them and looks like it'll hold up for much longer than that. Just clean with car soap if I'm doing 2B wash, or same rinseless/waterless solution if I'm doing rinseless/waterless wash.
I have another set of silver 20" wheels and they are coated with OC 2.0 which did hold up very well for 7 months until I stored them to mount the black 18s..
IMO both hold up well, I used OC on the first set because I coated the paint with OC at that time, and used Dlux on the second set because I already have it and the little bottle has much more than I need for the very little black plastic trim on my Jeep..