PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating the price on a new car...

Pages : [1] 2

P1et
08-16-2007, 11:21 PM
As some of you might know, I've been wanting to order an '08 BMW 328i Coupe for my wife. But I need some help.

I (of course!) figured out what invoice and MSRP should be on the exact configuration I want. But not a single dealer that I'm speaking to is willing to move on the price.

They tell me it's sticker and that's it.

Can someone help me here? I'm not waning to pay sticker for this vehicle as I know I'll never forgive myself. A lot of people are supposedly buying these for $500-$1000 over invoice, but I cannot even get them to come down by a dollar!!!

Feed back please

FMINUS
08-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Negotiate with their fleet or internet department, they are more willing to deal.

A1monky
08-17-2007, 06:19 AM
Like FMINUS said Internet department is always giving better deals. Go in the middle of the month, tell them how much you are willing to pay. Make sure they write it down. Then at the end of the month they will most likely call you, and bet you to make their qouta. And BMW's sell like hotcakes depending on where you live. It might me smart to drive to a less affluent area. They may be will to make a deal, if they arent selling cars.

Pauly6401
08-17-2007, 08:20 AM
If people are paying more than sticker just to get a brand new car, you probably aren't going to have much luck. I've done well buying the previous year's model, especially as the new models are coming out. But getting deals on the next year's model is pretty much a crapshoot.

Is there something about the 08 that you want as opposed to the 07?

Also, never be afraid to just say "Thank you," and walk away. If the dealer really wants to sell something, seeing your back as you head out of the lot will usually trigger him to negotiate.

P1et
08-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the replies gents. I was on E90Post and it also seems that most positive dealer reviews always track back to the initial contact being with the internet sales department. Glad you all are saying the same thing.

I would be more than happy to buy an '07, however, they checked for me and throughout the entire country there isn't a single 328i with the black metallic paint, auto transmission and sport package left. Looks like it will have to be a new one.

I will keep on trying! I don't care if I have to drive to Houston, Dallas or wherever to get a good deal.

The funny thing was that yesterday I rang a dealership in Houston and the salesman wasn't wanting to give me a quote. He said it wasn't fair for him to do so since he knew that I probably wouldn't buy it from him anyways. These guys are all asses...

07ImpalaSS
08-17-2007, 08:31 AM
It's an '08 so I wouldn't expect them to budge.

Gary Sword
08-17-2007, 10:52 AM
The funny thing was that yesterday I rang a dealership in Houston and the salesman wasn't wanting to give me a quote. He said it wasn't fair for him to do so since he knew that I probably wouldn't buy it from him anyways. These guys are all asses...

I have to agree with that statement ("These guys are all asses"). If they won't even give you a price how do they expect you to buy it from them. Sometimes you can't even get a price out of them. Don't be affaid to walk out even if they have the car you want. Also it don't hurt to go ahead and give them you name and phone no. before you walk out. More then likely they will be calling you with a better deal trying to get your business. Also if you know what the dealer's cost was make them a fair offer. If they won't except it try another dealer. Buying a new car is usually not a great buying experience. Car salesmen don't have a bad rap for nothing. It's well deserved in the majority of cases.

CalgaryDetail
08-17-2007, 10:55 AM
when I bought my car i was told the same thing. They had gotten them in in that week and the price was the price. I told him I would go to another dearship... they started to move... The other dearship gave me a better price. But when i told them i was leaving everything changed

P1et
08-17-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who got that treatment Gary. Couldn't believe it. This other guy actually laughed at me over the phone when I asked him for a quote because he said that I just told him what MSRP was.

"Why on earth would I discount a car that I don't even have in stock and that everyone wants?"

Well, according to a lot of posts I'm reading online, there are deals to be done and I refuse to order anything until I get a deal of my own. If I have to wait another 6 months to save $1,500 or $2,000, then so be it.

Darren F
08-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Good luck...From experience in the Car Industry when a New Model comes out it will take some time for the dealers to move off of MSRP especially in the premium car market....If you are not in a rush to get the car I would wait a few months and test the market again...I know down here in South Fla you cannot get any deals on the 2008 models just quite yet at BMW or here at Mercedes, internet dept or not...If you want to drive the top of the line vehicles expect to pay the price....Not trying to discourage you or sound like an "ass" but that is just the way it works....Why should a salesperson discount a hot car for you when there are plenty of people out there who want the car that are willing to pay MSRP? Remember if a salesperson discounts the price of a car they are losing out on the amount of money they will make on it.

FMINUS
08-17-2007, 11:14 AM
You should be down here in CA, its really easy to deal here w BMWs and Mercedes, they even give deals on the Ms and AMG editions. I got both my M3s for near invoice.........

Darren F
08-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Not like that at all here in South Fla...

FMINUS
08-17-2007, 11:31 AM
And remember dealer's total cost is UNDER invoice, we got our TSX for 700 under invoice....

FMINUS
08-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Good luck...From experience in the Car Industry when a New Model comes out it will take some time for the dealers to move off of MSRP especially in the premium car market....If you are not in a rush to get the car I would wait a few months and test the market again...I know down here in South Fla you cannot get any deals on the 2008 models just quite yet at BMW or here at Mercedes, internet dept or not...If you want to drive the top of the line vehicles expect to pay the price....Not trying to discourage you or sound like an "ass" but that is just the way it works....Why should a salesperson discount a hot car for you when there are plenty of people out there who want the car that are willing to pay MSRP? Remember if a salesperson discounts the price of a car they are losing out on the amount of money they will make on it.

I buy a lot of cars and I guess the idea here in CA is to make profits in volume and not on margin. Or maybe because they know I refer a lot of customers to them, I dont know....

P1et
08-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I was also reading about that FMINUS said. Some guy here in Austin was only getting MSRP on his BMW at the local dealership, but got $2,200 off by ordering it in CA. Might not be a bad idea...