PDA

View Full Version : Looking for insight on how to correct paint

Mxrider523
11-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Hey guys first time lurker. Was wanting to correct the paint on my 01 Dodge ram. It is white. Paint doesn't have too much of a shine. It is full of swirls. I think previous owners had it in the mud and didn't care for it too much. I did use meguiars ultimate compound earlier this year and followed by meguiars cleaner wax. I did the compound by hand and I do not think it really done much for the truck. I know it not too aggressive of a cut.

I attached a picture of the bed of the truck. Sun was going down and was using my phone. Can get better shots later

I was looking at the Merdenza product line and was wondering if it was a good option for my paint? Or just give me some options. I really need to correct the paint before the clear coat decides to start failing. So far I have no signs of it but doesn't mean it cannot start.

refreshauto
11-26-2014, 02:26 PM
buy this book, follow it to a T and you will be well on your way to doing proper paint correction. read through the forum, you can do searches for certain things. look at the videos, and ask some one from here local to you for some help if needed

Mike Phillips' The Art of Detailing Paperback Book (http://www.autogeek.net/art-of-detailing-paperback-book.html)

Nomadsto
11-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Best of luck friend. Your right where I started, where many of us started. Just a few tips I wish I started with. You can never have too many pads & micro fibers when polishing. And clean that truck like you never have, before you start polishing. Particles of dirt will come outta nowhere and ruin your day. Finally the Flex 3401 is your best bet. For me, other DAs correct so slowly they take much of the fun of polishing away.

Mxrider523
11-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was probably going to look at the Porter power 7424 Xp. I figured I wanted to use the Mendenza product line but just didnt know if it would be too hard on my paint? Looking at the Fg400 or Pg1000 to start with then go to Pf2500 then to Sf4000 then the power lock

Ryan509
11-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Best combo for Menzerna is FG400 followed with SF4000 and topped with powerlock. I've used that on a tundra and it's an amazing combination

rbss
11-26-2014, 06:56 PM
FG400&SF4000:props:

DA Polisher articles (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/questions-about-porter-cable-7424xp-7424-7336-griot-s-meguiar-s-dual-action-polishers/38399-da-polisher-articles-help-newbies-machine-polishing.html)

Enjoy!

Pureshine
11-27-2014, 12:39 AM
Buy a Griots pc much better than the porter cable and where are you located?

allenk4
11-27-2014, 01:45 AM
The absolute best starting point for obtaining insight on all aspects of detailing

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

nick the greek
11-27-2014, 05:13 AM
Menzerna products are great but also (if not better) are the 3M and Meguiars professional line.:dblthumb2:

MattPersman
11-27-2014, 05:51 AM
On a white truck like that you will get good results from many products. It is just gonna take a lot of time depending how good you want it. A DA will speed things up over hand no doubt. Many times it's good to see if there is anyone close to you on this site that may be willing to let you fool around with some products and a Da on your truck before you toss several hundred bucks at it. Most people are pretty willing to help or teach on this site.

dlc95
11-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was probably going to look at the Porter power 7424 Xp. I figured I wanted to use the Mendenza product line but just didnt know if it would be too hard on my paint? Looking at the Fg400 or Pg1000 to start with then go to Pf2500 then to Sf4000 then the power lock

Nothing wrong with the Porter Cable machine, or even the Ultimate Compound you were using previously by hand. With the right pad and technique, you'll probably be able to meet or even exceed your goals.