PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Polishing

BusterC417
03-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey guys! I need some help with polishing. I am doing a truck at the moment, and was using the Menzerna IP with the orange pad on a PC. It seems though that I only make one pass, then the next pass it seems the product is dried or something and it is taken away. I sprayed the pad with water before I started, and am using a speed of 5. So is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Also, when you polish, where does the polish normally build up on the pad? I seem to have a little more buildup around the outer edge. Is this normal?

Sorry for the dumb Questions! :)

ScottB
03-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Is the finish warm ?? Are you polishing outside ?? Usually a polish should not flash cure for several passes. You can usually respritz your pad with water or QD in order to keep it going also. If you need a much longer polishing time, I highly suggest Optimums Polish. Remember with polishing its a small area at a time, panel by panel.

BusterC417
03-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Finish is cool. Working inside the garage so I dunno. :confused: I tried respritzing with some water and that helped a bit. I am doing just a small section at a time so I am not quite sure what the problem is. Seems as though I am not getting as much out of the polish as I should. Any other ideas? Also, is the polish buildup normal, where does yours buildup on the pad?

Thanks killrwheels!

ScottB
03-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Never really thought about polish build up but being on the outside of the pad but does not sound wrong. I personally use three stripes going across the pad (dampened with QD) and start slow. I then ramp up to 4500-6000 depending on the polish and finish. I use a cutting pad (orange on oxidized paint), and my Vette usually only needs a white pad or grey finishing pad with polishing and then j e w e l-ing the surface. (I always follow an abrasive polish with a much lighter final polish)

MasterShineBoy
03-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Never really thought about polish build up but being on the outside of the pad but does not sound wrong. I personally use three stripes going across the pad (dampened with QD) and start slow. I then ramp up to 4500-6000 depending on the polish and finish. I use a cutting pad (orange on oxidized paint), and my Vette usually only needs a white pad or grey finishing pad with polishing and then j e w e l-ing the surface. (I always follow an abrasive polish with a much lighter final polish)

Well said! I use a very similar method, but I use two 10" line of polish on the panel, I still use it on the pad sometimes.