PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a Flex

Pages : [1] 2

Bettachris
11-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Happy holidays everyone. Right now I use a PC 2474 with both a 5 and 6 inch backing plate to clay and wax cars. I also have a Rupes 21 and mini 75 polishers with the 4 inch, 5 and 6 inch backing plates. But I'm thinking about getting a flex to have more power polishing and jeweling after I compound with the Rupes.

I need some help with the backing plates. I'm looking to purchase the limited edition pink 3401 which comes with the 5.5 inch plate. I like to use MEGs microfiber pads to cut and foam to polish so I heard good things about LC hybrid pads for this unit.

So if I am planning on purchasing the 5 in LC pads(I prefer 5 inch pads because I have the rupes for 6 inch pads), I will need the 4inch interchangeable kit? Something about the backing plate of the pads not being 5 inches? Also I plan on running MEGS 5 inch Microfiber cutting pads with this machine and use my 6 inch MF pads for the Rupes, Will I also need to purchase the Flex mini 4.3/8 inch backing plate or is the 4 inch interchangeable kit good enough?

Setec Astronomy
11-25-2014, 01:29 PM
The Flex doesn't really like MF pads.

Tato
11-25-2014, 02:31 PM
You have plenty of machines, but we can never have too many.

I have both Flex and Rupes and I use the Rupes with the MF / Wool, and the Flex for Hybrid Foam / Wool.

The Flex is a very consistent tool and for sure adds to the arsenal of any detailer. With foam pads and the evenness of forced rotation you'll get a lot of great results doing fast turnarounds like 1-step polish, and even achieve an even finish everytime.

Machine is so powerful you can stand over it and it'll never bog down (sure, does not means it's necessary to exert such force).

The LC 4" changeable plate is the exact fit for 5" hybrid pads. The 5" hybrids presents a 4" velcro face, beveled edge and 5" face.

They (5" hybrids) are my favorite by far for the 3401, depending on pressure exerted during polishing cycle you can use virtually any of the pads to achieve a 'like finishing pad finish'. For sure, you have to pair it with quality polishes, like Menzerna ones. Recommended are FG400 and SF4000 duo, but PF2500 also acts as a great 'in between' product. Many also 'crave' for the SF4500, I never used it but am to receive a sample soon and I'm 'craving to try as well!'.

I have the 4 3/8 plate, it's useful to have, but not the one you'll reach first.

Flex and Hybrids = 4" changeable plate for 5" hybrids, 5.5" (STANDARD plate) and 6.5" Hybrids.

Those are the main plates you may use.

With the 4" you can also pair 4" CCS pads, without a margin (being the same size of plate), but working carefully (just paying attention to the task at hand) I bet you'll never do wrong with it.

The MF discs are not the greatest for the Flex, but may work depending on test spot results. I've read some 'Thicker MF' works better with the forced rotation, while for the Rupes I've ordered recently the Meg's X-Tra cut discs...

Honestly, don't bother not using the MF with the Flex when you have the Rupes for that. The Hybrid Wool pad is the 'Flex's Microfiber pad' ahhaha

The most 'useful' hybrid pads in my opinion are the Foam Orange and White. Have plenty of them.

The gray / black finishing pad is a dream to use. If you have time and are being paid for, you'll like using it. If you are doing 1-2 steps polishing, at maximum, generally the finish you get with white pad and SF4000 will be enough in 99.9% cases.

The blue are interesting, and if you like to collect colored foam pads you can get one or two to test them out.

The yellow is cool, but if I've used it more than once it's too much. To be an in between white and gray, the yellow pad is the most rigid polishing pad I've seen. I prefer using white on lower speeds / pressure than reaching for the 'strange' yellow.

Please, notice, this is 'My taste'. I like CCS Pads, Flat Pads, have many and use when possible, but I always reach the 5" hybrids first because they are really useful, and a pleasure to use.

Please, let me know if you need some further help, I typed somewhat fast but willing to lend you a hand.

You can take a look at my shownshine threads to see pictures of the Flex and Hybrids in action, like this one:

(get 2 if you're lazy enough to switch backing plates)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/zaf11-22a.png

J/k apart (hehe), having both sizes ready for action is extremely helpful and gave me an edge on my business - like I've said on the start, we can never have too many.

I still use (and LOVE) the Rupes 21 with the MF,
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/vwgolf13-77.png

While prefer using the Flex for the remaining polishing steps. Whenever the test spot indicates Flex + Hybrid Foam are enough, I generally won't get the Rupes from the cabinet.

Reinforcing, I LOVE the Rupes 21, and in no way it's substitute a Flex, either a Flex substitute a Rupes. Both are partners in detailing arsenal.

Let us know,

Kind Regards.

Kamakaz1961
11-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Bettachris, Tato says it all!! I have a Flex 3401 VRG with the Lake Country Backing Plates as well as the Flex backing plate. The Lake Country Hybrid Pads 5" and 6.5" are the way to go. In fact any Lake Country Pad (hydro-tech, CCS or Hybrid) are great for the Flex.

The Flex 3401 VRG IMO is the best DA out there as it is the ONLY forced Rotation DA on the market (no knock -offs included). The rest of the DA are free floating DA's.

You will be very happy with the Flex...PERIOD

VISITOR
11-25-2014, 03:18 PM
just buy it already, you won't be disappointed. quality tool for sure... ;)

DetailKitty
11-25-2014, 03:48 PM
I love, love, love my Flex :dblthumb2:

FrankS
11-25-2014, 04:15 PM
I have the Flex 3401 and I also have the Rupes 15.

I've been really impressed by the smoothness of using the Rupes system. Also, you don't have to apply much downward pressure to the machine because of the larger throw, which makes for a more effortless polishing experience. However, you really have to use good technique when it comes to working on curved panels and at times it can be frustrating to keep the pad rotating.

However if I'm under time constraints and need to buff out a car quickly then I grab the Flex knowing that I can knock out the curved panels with no problem.

allenk4
11-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Is it possible that the PC is actually the best DA machine for "Jewelling"

I have seen it argued that, true jewelling of paint can only be accomplished with a rotary at low speed

tpr1634
11-25-2014, 05:44 PM
If cash is not an issue, I would buy it I love mine......

Bettachris
11-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Yea I have a lot of polishers but i'm in production detailing where time is key. Each machine has its own purpose and I agree with you that they are not replacements, rather compliments to each other.

I see, It would be best to get the interchangeable kit with the flex, I will probably just use the MF pads with the rupes and stick with the flex for polishing with the hybrid pads.

Is anyone else getting the limited edition pink housing? lol I cant wait to see everyone when I start with the rupes and end with a pink polisher. It actually cost more than my rupes lol. Thanks again guys and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Garyhw48
11-25-2014, 06:34 PM
I personally do not think anyone could go wrong purchasing a Flex 3401 for any reason. As others have said many times the thing" is a Beast ". Mine always does exactly what I ask of it.

For heavy correction just turn it up on 5 or 6 and you won't believe what it can do. You can't stop it. Team it up with Menzerna and IMO you have the perfect combination. I will order some Hybrid pads soon but I can say it has worked, perfectly, with any pads that I have put on it.

Yesterday I wet sanded a clear coat car with Meguiars 1500 foam finishing disks on a da sander, and expected to need my Flex PE 14-2-150 to correct the sanding marks. I used it on a small spot with Menzerna FG400 and got perfect results. Decided to try the 3401 on a large spot with a blue LC Hydro-Tech pad and after five passed the results were just as good a the rotary.

I would be willing to say IMHO it's the only DA that will correct 1500 sanding marks that quickly. This machine loafs at top speed and combined with Menzerna you can polish as long as you want to.

I was using the LC 4" backing plate.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-26-2014, 03:46 AM
As many others have said, you cant go wrong with a 3401.

Teamed up with Hybrid pads and Menzerna polishes you have a winning combination.

lawrenceSA
11-26-2014, 05:51 AM
I got my flex about 6 details ago and am kicking myself for not having done it earlier....

Bettachris
11-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys, Went ahead and purchased the limited edition pink 3401. (Thanks Nick!) Should ship out in December and will let you guys know how I like it. Ordered the interchangeable backing plate system and some hybrid pads.

I still love my Rupes but now he will have a friend in my detailing bag.

Mizzoutiger
11-28-2014, 08:58 PM
As time is money, the Flex will pay for itself in the time you save compared to using the PC7424.