PDA

View Full Version : Tips on waxing/washing

Pages : [1] 2

chipmb2985
11-24-2014, 10:29 PM
I recently ran my car through a touchless wash (it's very cold here) followed by using Optimum Rinseless wash. I then used Meguiars quick detailer and then attempted to wax.

Before waxing I ran my fingers across and the surface was smooth. I then wax and notice that it's leaving a gritty surface on the hood. Notice the dots on the surface.

Could this happen from applying too much wax? or not properly waxing car?

I'm using meguiars black wax.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/Chipcrocwhat/5B27F857-3A93-4383-AD1E-57E2F7E3D5EB_zpstyeykojb.png (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/Chipcrocwhat/media/5B27F857-3A93-4383-AD1E-57E2F7E3D5EB_zpstyeykojb.png.html)

Max Luster Auto
11-24-2014, 11:16 PM
How cold is the paint surface and the wax while you're applying it?

spiralout462
11-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Was the paint in that condition before the "touchless/rinsless" wash?

chipmb2985
11-24-2014, 11:36 PM
It's actually a lot warmer in my garage (around 55 degrees) and that's where I did it. It seems to remove some of the grit when you smear with your finger.

After the wash it felt smooth. This happened the last time I waxed it too. Can't figure it out and now i'm worried that it's scratching the paint. The only panel I noticed it on was the hood.

chipmb2985
11-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Next time I wash I will try claying after and see if it helps before waxing.

spiralout462
11-26-2014, 12:29 AM
It's actually a lot warmer in my garage (around 55 degrees) and that's where I did it. It seems to remove some of the grit when you smear with your finger.

After the wash it felt smooth. This happened the last time I waxed it too. Can't figure it out and now i'm worried that it's scratching the paint. The only panel I noticed it on was the hood.

Something is scratching the paint!

sunday joe
11-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Next time I wash I will try claying after and see if it helps before waxing.

Claying is a good step. Try baggie test first.
Good luck.

RobertJ34
11-26-2014, 09:01 AM
From my understanding Megs black wax has abrasives in it. Could this be what you're seeing? Maybe a combo of too much wax/temp/etc could be a cause of what you may be seeing.

"Through years of careful research and development, Meguiars has found the perfect combination of protective polymers, gloss enhancers, abrasives and micro cleaners to create a formula that produces a level of gloss, depth and clarity that is unheard of on dark colors – all while being exceptionally easy to apply and remove." Meguiars Black Wax, black wax for cars (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-black-wax.html)

Mike Phillips
11-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Lots of tips and pretty much everything you need to know in the second edition of my first how-to book Available in both paperback and ibook forms....

It's the center two pictures in my Signature Line. Click on them for more info...

:xyxthumbs:

chipmb2985
11-27-2014, 06:12 AM
From my understanding Megs black wax has abrasives in it. Could this be what you're seeing? Maybe a combo of too much wax/temp/etc could be a cause of what you may be seeing.

"Through years of careful research and development, Meguiars has found the perfect combination of protective polymers, gloss enhancers, abrasives and micro cleaners to create a formula that produces a level of gloss, depth and clarity that is unheard of on dark colors – all while being exceptionally easy to apply and remove." Meguiars Black Wax, black wax for cars (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-black-wax.html)

What the heck..I think you're right. And the reason why I felt them is because I didn't put enough pressure into waxing it in order for the abrasives to do their job. But I thought it was grit so that's why I didn't lol.

But I'm going to try something new next time. Any recommendations for something that doesn't streak easily and gives descent protection?

The Guz
11-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Black wax is a cleaner wax. It uses SMAT.

It is possible the car has soft paint. How are you applying it? Are you applying it thin or thick?

MattPersman
11-27-2014, 06:44 AM
If you are happy with your finish and are not trying to cover anything up then one of the wowa sealants like OptiSeal are pretty nice to use as long as application is thin they don't streak. If it does a wipe with a MF will clean it right up. There are many products that work well now a days, even in your local stores

chipmb2985
11-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Black wax is a cleaner wax. It uses SMAT.

It is possible the car has soft paint. How are you applying it? Are you applying it thin or thick?

It's a 2014 Mazda6 and Mazdas are generally known for soft paint so i try to be careful. On the hood I applied it really thick, which was obviously a dumb move. But I'm an amature with waxing :/.

RobertJ34
11-27-2014, 10:35 AM
What the heck..I think you're right. And the reason why I felt them is because I didn't put enough pressure into waxing it in order for the abrasives to do their job. But I thought it was grit so that's why I didn't lol.

But I'm going to try something new next time. Any recommendations for something that doesn't streak easily and gives descent protection?

If you want to stick with Meguairs, their "ultimate liquid wax" is nice. And I have read many times its more of a sealant than a wax. But there are a good amount of waxes on this site that will do a great job. Blackfire, Megs, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, and DP to name a few. Don't count out sealants also, they will last you longer than a wax. Maybe something to consider depending on how often you plan to clean the car, environment and other factors.

And was reading through all comments before I commented, yes, Mazda's have soft paint. It sucks :-/ Our cars looks to be the same color. My Mazda is 2013.

Another thing to take into consideration, Clay and Iron-X. (decontamination) You'd be shocked how much junk is on the paint of a brand new car.. perform the baggie test.:props:

Best of luck.

chipmb2985
11-28-2014, 07:13 AM
If you want to stick with Meguairs, their "ultimate liquid wax" is nice. And I have read many times its more of a sealant than a wax. But there are a good amount of waxes on this site that will do a great job. Blackfire, Megs, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, and DP to name a few. Don't count out sealants also, they will last you longer than a wax. Maybe something to consider depending on how often you plan to clean the car, environment and other factors.

And was reading through all comments before I commented, yes, Mazda's have soft paint. It sucks :-/ Our cars looks to be the same color. My Mazda is 2013.

Another thing to take into consideration, Clay and Iron-X. (decontamination) You'd be shocked how much junk is on the paint of a brand new car.. perform the baggie test.:props:

Best of luck.

Thanks for the wax suggestions! The Ultimate Liquid Wax looks like a good option. I'm going to give it a shot.

Our color is a pain keep clean, but when it's clean it's freaking beautiful!