PDA

View Full Version : Auto Detailing Conference

dreamworks2007
08-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Hello Everyone.

I am planning to have a conference for the local auto detailers. This will be my first conference and I really need some help on what and how to do this.Feed back please Like how much to charge people to attend, what products to showcase, who and how many people should speak ect. Any help would be greatly appricated. Thanks

Pauly6401
08-16-2007, 04:52 PM
I've never held a detailing conference, but it's pretty much the same as any other conference.

1) First, you need to advertise it to enough people to make it worth it. That's probably the hardest part.

2) You also need to arrange the space to have it at - will it be inside or outside? Will you be serving food? If so, you'll need a caterer and those prices could change depending on the number of people you have attend. The big draw of hotels or places that specialize in hosting conferences is that you can get food, refreshments, a hall, and waiters all from one source. Still, be mindful that anyplace will require you to have a headcount up to 2-4 weeks prior to the event, so you can't wait until the last minute. Make sure you have people RSVP with their admission fees to lock them in.

3) People want to learn something at a conference. It's not enough to just have people meet up and sit around and talk. Call manufacturers of product lines or local detailers with good reputations. Ask them to speak on different aspects of the profession such as what products they use on which jobs, proper use of rotary tools, etc. The manufacturers are usually happy to send out a representative to hawk their specific line of products and give demonstrations, samples - it's like a live infomercial for them. You could get one major sponsor to offer products and demonstrations, or several sponsors to split the cost/effort and offer a variety of things.

4) If you are doing this on a large scale, you could also have a large number of product representatives come out and set up booths, so that you could have a small trade show at the event where people can network and possibly place orders. However, if you have no experience in setting up things you probably want to start small for this one.

I would recommend either hiring an agency to organize all this if you are trying to do something large, or make a half-day affair with one or two product reps, several demonstrations, and a couple of seminars if you are doing this all by yourself for the first time.

Finally, don't forget to advertise, or even gauge interest before you do this. The best planned conference in the world will flop if you have no one attending it!

Hope this helps - I've set up everything from my high school reunion to large scale conferences for the Department of Defense. I've glossed over a lot of the details here, but will be happy to answer any other questions for you. It takes planning, attention to detail, and patience, but you can do it. Just don't half-ass it or you won't ever be able to hold a second one!

A1monky
08-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Dreamworks, where to you live? I would go to your conference if it is in FL.

dreamworks2007
08-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Dreamworks, where to you live? I would go to your conference if it is in FL.

Wish I was in FL. A1monky, but I'm from Virginia. Thanks alot for wanting to attend.

Also, thank you very much Paul for all your help. The information you gave me was very helpful and I will consider all your advice. I will keep you updated on my progress.:) Thanks

ericfine50
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Having put on a few shows in the past (scuba not car detailing). Advertising is key. If you don't get the word out, the vendors that come won't be happy. Do some research and see if there are other similar shows and what they offer, charge vendors/people etc.

Look for a location that will allow for speakers and vendors to co-exist. Do you have a size in mind?

Good luck
eric