PDA

View Full Version : Looking to add to the arsenal

hydro556
08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Guys, I am just getting into this and need to add to the arsenal. Other than some OTC stuff, I have XMT 360, pad cleaner and conditioner to go along with LC orange, white, black and wool pads. I use these with my Makita 6040. I also have both mothers and megs clay kits. I am not real impressed with the megs clay but the mothers seems pretty effective. I am getting ready to place another order with AG and want to get the right products. I think I need another "dedicated" polish to use when the 360 is not enough. I also want to add some clay and finally a good all around LSP. Lastly do you guys think I would be well served to add to my pad collection? I havent felt limited by my pad selection yet but I am still getting the feel of things. I need all these products for general usage, but I do have a buddy with a late model Tundra(dark green) that wants me to detail it for him, including some swirl removal.

1- which clay is the "best value" in your opinion?
2- which polish would be good for me when the 360 doesnt do the trick? (or polishES)
3- I have been trying to decide on an LSP for a month now. I am confused when I hear people say "this one looks great but doesnt protect well". It seems to me if I use 360 or another good sealant under the LSP that durabililty of LSP wouldnt be that important, know what I mean? I dont really want to drop $90 for souveran, so what LSP is considered the best value. If my assumption from above is accurate(i.e. with a good sealant underneath, durability of LSP takes a back seat to looks of LSP) which LSP is easy to use and looks great?
4- as mentioned, I have LC orange, white, black and wool pads. Are these sufficient for a newbie, or is there a glaring deficiency?

A lot of questions, I know, but I want to be ready for my next detail. Especially on the polish selection as I want to be able to remove the swirls from the Tundra, My 360 makes every vehicle I do look great, but I havent had a lot of luck with swirls, though I admit to probably being over cautious.

ScottB
08-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Why not purchase the Poorboys kit, it comes with several products to try and even some pads. Seems like a natural addition to your current supplies and you can then add a sealant and car soap when wanted.

hydro556
08-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Killr, I am not opposed to a kit, but only if I NEED pretty much every product in it. I have a TON of products already, mostly OTC, but a ton none-the-less. I only want to add the exact products I need, know what I mean? I have been looking at AGs selection and there is so much. I am looking through all the combo kits, but having trouble finding a kit with polish(es), clay and an LSP that is in my budget. I will keep looking though.

dontsleeponit
08-16-2007, 04:14 PM
1- which clay is the "best value" in your opinion?

I was asking this same question myself for awhile, through searching around and hearing people's opinions of clay, there isnt MUCH of a difference between most of them. Theres basically the normal stuff, and the Poly clay that pinnacle offers which is milder and more elastic. That being said, I am ordering the DP clay, $25 for 8oz seems to be the best deal on AG for clay.

ScottB
08-16-2007, 04:48 PM
skip looking for different clay, there is a patent on it for the next several years in the US and they are basically all the same. Different color is likely the biggest difference. And thats why I offered the Poorboys kit as it contains two great polishes SSR 1.0 and 2.5 that wont break the bank. Add in the wax and the sprays and its a rather nice kit for 80.00 US.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/PB-PPKIT-601.jpg

hydro556
08-16-2007, 04:57 PM
That kit doel look pretty appropriate for my needs. Just add some clay and I will be getting most everything I need. I dont know much about those polishes. How do they compare to Menz and pinnacle? Ease of use? Final result,looks etc??? Tanks Killr, may try that one.

ScottB
08-16-2007, 05:11 PM
My original choice in polish was Megs #83 DACP. Did a great job but dusted like no other. I then moved to a two polish combo. The SSR twins and used them successfully for more than two years. Recently moved to XMT (very similar) and Menzerna full time. I still look fondly on the SSR twins and offer them to alot of my Vette buddies. The whole Poorboys line is just so damn easy to use and always yields positive results. Menzerna is likely a better choice, but will more than double the price for the equilvent polishes. (FP, and IP needed at least, added in 106FF as my personal fav = 100.00 or more) You just cannot beat a Poorboys deal.